Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 77 FirstFirst ... 414849505152535461 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1528
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dallas fire rescue hiring 2011!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GiveMeAChance View Post
    Let's turn this back into a productive thread!

For those of us who don't currently live in the DFW metroplex, where should we look to settle down? What are the nicer areas that aren't crazy expensive? Are there areas we should avoid? Etc.

gogogogogo!
    The further you go from Dallas obviously, the nicer the apartments get for the money. If you head north towards cities like Carrollton or Lewisville, you can get a really nice 2 bedroom 2 bath 1200 square foot apartment for around $800/month or so. I'm not sure what you're looking for or looking to spend, but the commute daily to dallas from a city like Lewisville would be about 20 to 25 minutes each way.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GiveMeAChance View Post
    Let's turn this back into a productive thread!

For those of us who don't currently live in the DFW metroplex, where should we look to settle down? What are the nicer areas that aren't crazy expensive? Are there areas we should avoid? Etc.

gogogogogo!
    I live in Fort Worth. Love it. Arlington, Grand Prairie, Duncanville (parts). There is a crazy nice town called "Southlake" that is very upscale Suburbs. Frisco, Allen, these are expensive areas. Oak Cliff & Pleasant Grove in Dallas are older, more "inner city" areas with lower priced housing. There is a bit if resurgence in the living areas downtown Dallas. Fort Worth has kick a** apartments/lofts/townhomes in kitschy areas ifctown & cost of living is lower than it is in Dallas.

Other suburbs of Dallas include Balch Springs, Coppell, Carrollton, Lewisville, Cedar Hill.

I agree it depends if you have kids because the school districts are vastly different. FWISD, Arlington, Plano ISD I'd choose before Dallas ISD. IMHO as a parent

Forum Member

i also live in ft worth. great school district, traffic isnt all that bad and i live 3 miles away from dowtown

Forum Member

I live in The Colony, bout 20 mins from downtown Dallas and it is a great area.. If your single I live in a great complex with restaurants, bars, markets and pretty much anything you need

Forum Member

I live in Northwest Fort Worth, I love it great school reasonable priced homes with nice amenities awesome people and close enough to go to down town Fort Worth for a good time.

Forum Member

I will be moving from one of the coasts if I get hired, any suggestions on a area for a younger single guy without knowing anyone in the area at all? Looking for a nice area to live the bachelors life for a while... Ochman? Anyone? Thanks guys, best of luck to everyone!

Forum Member

Giveme
    Are you married??

Suggest do short term lease, say six months

Get through most of the academy

You can get a feel for the area and maybe where you would like to live

You may be use to calif freeway driving, but they are just a little different in dfw, and sometimes people move so they do not have to drive on them much
    Last edited by fire49; 09-20-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Forum Member

Indeed I'm planning to either stay with a friend until I get my own place or just do a short term lease in a studio apartment up there.

Forum Member

I had my interview today. I felt it went really good. I was told that they were looking for 200+ firefighters and they were still interviewing through the end of the month. So I don't know what the word is, but I'm glad that part is over for me. Good luck fellas!

Forum Member

Thanks for the update Bonner03. I live in downtown Dallas. I like the urban lifestyle althought its not for everyone. The cool thing is i am 8 mins from the training center where the academy is.

Forum Member

Quick question....does Dallas Fire accept a FF2 cert from an out-of-state academy?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bonner03 View Post
    I had my interview today. I felt it went really good. I was told that they were looking for 200+ firefighters and they were still interviewing through the end of the month. So I don't know what the word is, but I'm glad that part is over for me. Good luck fellas!
    Thanks for the update however I wonder if they are interviewing till the end of the month if that means we wont know something Friday like we thought .... there are so many mixed stories. It is so agonizing waiting.
    Last edited by BEEGS; 09-20-2011 at 06:02 PM.

Forum Member

A friend of mine on the department said word on the street was interviews ended today. But you know how rumors are.

Forum Member

I was told today from an interviewer that interviews end tomorrow.... But I'm sure some of u will talk smack and release ur feelings about it. . But that's what I know. Take it for what u want , and likw Most of you if u feel like making up some stuff. Feel free

Forum Member

anyone else here scheduled to interview sometime this week? Speak now so the paranoia can continue

Forum Member

Thanks for the ideas so far guys. Sorry I didn't have my log-in info at work so I wasn't able to reply til now.

Definitely thinking about short-term lease and I'm looking to get at least one roommate to cut costs and since I don't really know anyone out there at all. I guess initially it would be smart to stay near the training center.

Just a quick scan of craigslist comes up with many different options that are definitely doable, but yeah...I have no idea on traffic and such. I'm not a big partier or anything but would like to be somewhere that isn't dead quiet all the time.

I've got a long-term girlfriend who would be back here in CA for at least another year, so it will be a while before we have to worry about family-oriented stuff like schools and communities.

Forum Member

I do know that several people were interviewing with me yesterday. Including me there was probably 15 in different rooms that I could see. As I waited I saw several people leave in suits, so my guess is that there was more people than I could see interviewing.

On a side note, I was impressed that every person that walked through the lobby I was sitting in talked to us. Chief Williams stopped and had a conversation with us. He didn't have to do that and I thought it said alot about the people that work for Dallas Fire.

Forum Member

give me

I would not stay to close:::

http://spotcrime.com/#dallas%20fire%20training

you might get some on the forum that need a place or have one to pm you, if they have a room for you

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    give me

I would not stay to close:::

http://spotcrime.com/#dallas%20fire%20training

you might get some on the forum that need a place or have one to pm you, if they have a room for you
    x2... Seriously. Even going a few miles north to Lakewood would save you a lot of grief.
    Isaiah 43:1-2

1 But now, this is what the LORD says—
    he who created you, Jacob,
    he who formed you, Israel:
    “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
    I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
    2 When you pass through the waters,
    I will be with you;
    and when you pass through the rivers,
    they will not sweep over you.
    When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireCoco View Post
    I live in Fort Worth. Love it. Arlington, Grand Prairie, Duncanville (parts). There is a crazy nice town called "Southlake" that is very upscale Suburbs. Frisco, Allen, these are expensive areas. Oak Cliff & Pleasant Grove in Dallas are older, more "inner city" areas with lower priced housing. There is a bit if resurgence in the living areas downtown Dallas. Fort Worth has kick a** apartments/lofts/townhomes in kitschy areas ifctown & cost of living is lower than it is in Dallas.

Other suburbs of Dallas include Balch Springs, Coppell, Carrollton, Lewisville, Cedar Hill.

I agree it depends if you have kids because the school districts are vastly different. FWISD, Arlington, Plano ISD I'd choose before Dallas ISD. IMHO as a parent
    I've lived in Garland and Mesquite... there are good and bad parts of both - both are East of Dallas. You can find some apartments at decent prices here. Sunnyvale (southeast, where I volunteer) has some very nice houses, large lots (some people have multiple acres out there), very pricey.

Frisco area etc can be very nice, very expensive depending on where you look.

I would not move to the lower priced places south of Dallas (Oak Cliff, etc). Crime tends to be higher.

And like he said, there seems to be more people moving back to downtown Dallas... houses there tend to be a bit scary near downtown (gunshots at night, etc) but there are some really nice lofts and apartments not very far away.

Thread Information