Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dallas fire rescue hiring 2011!

Forum Member

Smile Dallas fire rescue hiring 2011!

DALLAS FIRE-RESCUE IS HIRING.

http://www.dallasfirerescue.com/recruit.htm

Let's talk!

MembersZone Subscriber

Does Dallas require new hires to go to paramedic school? It doesn't say on the website specifically, but some portions kinda imply you have to. I know, pick up the phone & call. But I called the other day & didn't get much help & insight from the call taker that I spoke to. Any input is appreciated.

Forum Member

Currently, we're in such a budget problem that we have recruits who are coming straight out of the fire academy and working on an engine/truck instead of a rescue (ambulance).

I'm not sure if new hires will be required to go to paramedic school. However, more than likely, at some time, they will be sent to paramedic school.

As a Dallas firefighter, I can say without question:

Dallas Fire-Rescue is THE most aggressive interior fire fighting department out here.

Dallas Fire-Rescue as THE best retirement system in the nation. You could easily become a millionaire during your career.

http://www.dpfp.org/

Forum Member

I know that Dallas does not require any certs, but what is done with candidates that already have their FF&Medic Certs. Are they required to go through training again? What is the ideal candidate for DFR?

Forum Member

I'm not in the recruiting section. However, as I understand it, if there are enough candidates who are already firefighter/paramedic certified, there might be a Fast Track program. This is just to brush up on skills and show how Dallas does things. Some years they have a Fast Track program...other years don't.

The ideal candidate for the Dallas Fire-Rescue Department is somebody who is willing to work under bad management. Our Chief was recently named the Worst Boss in America. While different firefighters have different opinions, I can assure you that Dallas is not the greatest department around. That is the truth, and I'd like you to understand that before you apply.

If they manage to send Class 300 to paramedic school, expect to ride the Rescue (ambulance) for at least 8 years for the bare minimum. ALL of our Rescues are busy. Expect anywhere from 10-15 calls a shift on the ambulances. We have fire apparatus that range from making nearly 4000 calls a year to just over 1000 calls a year.

The EMS system is so overloaded that we use extra Rescues (called Peak Demand Rescues). These are over-time ambulances that run from 12PM-10PM on weekdays and 12PM-3AM on weekends. Pay is 1.5 times your rate. These ambulances are placed in the busiest areas and help to alleviate the call load.

Dallas. We fight fire. And we fight it good. We do things OUR way. We don't make exterior attacks and push the fire in. We make interior attacks and push the fire out.

With that being said, we are extremely aggressive to fighting fires and making rescues. However, with that being said, there are obviously times that making interior attacks are not safe and we do exterior attacks.

Dallas has a tradition of fighting fire. You will see a LOT of tradition in this department...from people manning the watchroom...ringing bells to signal who goes...to "tapping out boxes"...church raise...burn night...and hearing: "LET'S GO NOW! One-alarm fire." followed by the units over the radio.

With that being said, we have UNRIVALED retirement benefits that we are fighting to keep.
    Last edited by centrum33; 01-17-2011 at 12:33 AM. Reason: added text

Forum Member

Anyone know if they'll accept out of state applicants?

Forum Member

When yousay ride the ambulance for 8 years do you mean, 8 years straight or 8 years rotating engine, truck, ambulance etc.? Thank be safe, I'm applying no matter, but was just curious though.

MembersZone Subscriber

"regionally accredited college/university"

I guess I am curious too if they will take out of staters...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by big_leauges View Post
    "regionally accredited college/university"

I guess I am curious too if they will take out of staters...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_accreditation

Check and see if your college falls under one of the big accrediting organizations. If so then it will probably be fine.

MembersZone Subscriber

Filled out the app last night. Does anyone know how many people usually apply? I know minimum requirements are pretty stiff but i'm sure there is still a good turn out. Also whats the test like for those who have taken it... easy or difficult?
    -Firefighting is a lifestyle NOT a career-

Forum Member

Last edited by medic02; 12-07-2011 at 08:45 PM.

Forum Member

I know that Dallas generally has an age ceiling for application at 36, but this specific recruitment notice doesn't make this clear (though on the DFD general recruitment page it is). Is the age ceiling waved for this recruitment period?

Forum Member

Default Dfd

Dallas wants to know how smart you are. The only subjective part, if you can call it that, is the polygraph. If you manage to make it that far in the hiring process it shouldn't be a problem. The first exam tests your knowledge, there are no subjective questions. There is one answer for each question, nothing subjective about it. Then they give you another computer based test called the acuplacar. Again this test is testing your knowledge. They want to know you are an educated person. They aren't looking to find out if your mommy and daddy hugged you enough when you were a kid like some of these other department.

Physical is the CPAT. Plenty of info out there on the net regarding that.

Polygraph

Oral board that was done with three chiefs when I went through.

The process I just described was the process they used when I went through which really wasn't that long ago.

The fast track isn't seperated out. If they are hiring 40 and you are in the top 40 and are already certified they will fast track you through. As it was previously mentioned the fast track process is fairly new so I don't know too much about it.

We rotate on the ambulance. At the station I'm at I ride 3 of the 10 shifts during the month. The top 17 busiest ambulances in the city have 6 medics at the station and the rest have 5. A typical day for me on the box consists of making about 16 runs. If you want to ride the ambulance more than your designated days I'm more than certain the member of your station won't hesitate letting you jump on there. As far as an EMS track for those interested in EMS, it's there if you want to pursue it. We have EMS supervisors and an EMS office that is fully staffed with members of our department. We work with University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center for our training and continuing education.

DFD fights a fair amount of fire. We are aggressive but not wreckless. If you want to make interior attacks and vertically ventilate then here's your shot. We do carry bunker gear and SCBAs on the rescue. It is up to the battalion chief on whether you will make entry if you are on a rescue that day. The department is trying to get away from medics assigned to the box on any particular day from fighting fire. But, like previously mentioned, it's up to the battalion chief.

Does DFD have its problems? Yeah.........but show me a department that doesn't.
    Last edited by guedo8; 01-17-2011 at 05:43 PM.
    HB_Dude likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

when you say 3 out of 10 shifts on the rescue, does that mean you alternate between the truck and engine for the other 7? or are you assigned to just the truck or engine for the remaining 7 shifts?

Forum Member

If I am not on the rescue for the shift I'm either on an engine or truck. Some station officers want you to ride the truck and engine an equal amount (if the station has both) while others are ok with first come first serve. My captain doesn't mind what we ride if we're off the rescue so I get to the station early to grab the right side of the engine. That's where I want to be so that's what I have to do. The captain on another shift at the same station determines what apparatus you'll be riding the shift before. So short answer is yes you'll be on an engine or truck. As far as your assignment you'll be either assigned to an engine, truck, or rescue but that does not typically dictate what you ride. It's really up to the officer but in a city like Dallas you have 55+ stations to choose from and 3 shifts. After your probation you can transfer to another house where things are more to your liking.
    Last edited by guedo8; 01-17-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Forum Member

The 10 year plan on the Dallas Fire-Rescue website says that they intend to "maintain number of recruits hired (250)" for 2010-2011, is that a reasonable number to expect or with budget cuts will it be dramatically lower than that? And will that potential number be based on a new list after testing finishes this year or will it be a rollover from years past?

MembersZone Subscriber

how many did they hire in 2010?

Forum Member

As far as 250 recruits for the 2010-2011 that's quite a few ranks above my level to answer and feel that I'm not misleading you. I will say that in the past few years they have had a number of hiring classes. Our chief has a vision of having 800+ medics in our system to start running more paramedic engines. I think we're quite a ways from hitting that number. I'm not in the position to say whether this is going to happen or not. What I can tell you is that they haven't stopped a recruit class or cancelled a hiring process in the recent past. I have yet to hear of this ever happening. If any of the old heads with DFD are monitoring this forum maybe they can chime in.

I can tell you this. If they are having a hiring process I would bet on it being carried through to the end. My experience with the hiring process was by far the smoothest of any of the other departments I tested with. I was offered a job with multiple other departments so I have experienced a number from finish to end. If Dallas HR tells you that check in for the test is at 8 o'clock then it's at 8 o'clock. If they say to bring a specific sheet of paper that you needed to print off then don't have anything else but that piece of paper because they won't look at it. The hiring process starts the second you start filling out the application not when you show up to the testing site.

This is one of the few departments that if you are willing to put in the time studying for the entrance exam, prepare for the oral board, prepare for the cpat then you'll have a good shot of getting hired. The only thing that can trip you up is if you have a laundry list of things that pop up from your background check that come up during your polygraph.

The good thing about right now is that they have hired so many people recently UTSW can't keep up and they are having to put rookies out in the field with their firefighter and EMT-B certs. This means no ambulance rides for a while until they get you into paramedic school.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by centrum33 View Post
    DALLAS FIRE-RESCUE IS HIRING.

http://www.dallasfirerescue.com/recruit.htm

Let's talk!

Would you need experince out of school or would you take classes than go to school.?

Forum Member

@guedo8. Is there any class or books you would recommend for DFD test? Is there any residency points or military points? I am asking because I could not find on the website. I'm not a good test taker and need to be ready as I can. More of a hands on type person. haha. Thanks

Forum Member

Are out of state applicants looked upon equally, or is preference given to Texas or Dallas residents?

Forum Member

Default hiring process

How long did the Dallas fire rescue hiring process take? And for the Cpat.... I am a female. How hard is it? How far into the process do you take it? Any good ideas for training?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by centrum33 View Post
    Dallas. We fight fire. And we fight it good. We do things OUR way. We don't make exterior attacks and push the fire in. We make interior attacks and push the fire out.

With that being said, we are extremely aggressive to fighting fires and making rescues. However, with that being said, there are obviously times that making interior attacks are not safe and we do exterior attacks.
    Meh, more aggressive than ye local suburb department fighting 5 or 6 structure fires a shift in a year.

Forum Member

There process is average length it comes down to how aggress they are with there hiring. If you get in the process make sure you stay on top of Dallas calling checking in people miss stuff or they liss people either way. As far as the CPAT goes you have plenty of time its all cardio but you do where a wirghted vest which for a 250lb guy isn't bad but for a 130lb girl it'll make a difference.

Forum Member

yeah, I'm 115 lbs... but strong as hell. Still hoping that if I go to to the mentor training days I'll be able to kick butt. I can lift pretty heavy weights as of now, anyone in the Allen area want to train? I go to LA Fitness

Thread Information