Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Quaker Gear

Forum Member

I have a matching set of Morning Pride for my regular bunkers, However I was having issues with all of the buttoning and hooking within the 1:00 minute mark, so I got an old quaker out of the closet that is a zip and velcro which is MUCH faster, and I only use it for training purposes, to be honest it feels like a toy coat compared to my Morning Pride. It feels alot less bulky than my MP coat though. I wouldn't mind using it for a summer coat, but I would like to stay matching for some reason. Coat was made in 2000 and it pretty worn, not sure how much it was used before it was thrown in the closet when we switched. Morning Pride was made in 05 and it still looks really good. Maybe get a few reps in from different places and try them on, see what they will offer for a warranty. We just ordered 5 new sets of Morning Pride a few weeks ago, their new stuff is great.
    Last edited by jdschmidt; 02-04-2011 at 03:48 PM. Reason: I kant spel

Quote Originally Posted by jdschmidt View Post
    I have a matching set of Morning Pride for my regular bunkers, However I was having issues with all of the buttoning and hooking within the 1:00 minute mark, so I got an old quaker out of the closet that is a zip and velcro which is MUCH faster, and I only use it for training purposes, to be honest it feels like a toy coat compared to my Morning Pride. It feels alot less bulky than my MP coat though. I wouldn't mind using it for a summer coat, but I would like to stay matching for some reason. Coat was made in 2000 and it pretty worn, not sure how much it was used before it was thrown in the closet when we switched. Morning Pride was made in 05 and it still looks really good. Maybe get a few reps in from different places and try them on, see what they will offer for a warranty. We just ordered 5 new sets of Morning Pride a few weeks ago, their new stuff is great.
    My choice of bunker gear and the protection it provides does not change with the seasons. Fire burns just as hot all year round.

Just saying.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    From his post, what in the world would give you the idea that it might be unbelievably bulky?

Sure you are not just reading something into his post?
    I very well could be reading into it. I sometimes do that.

BUT...I just can't help but have this ominous feeling that he is trying to tell us, in his own special way, that the coat is unbelievably bulky.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    My choice of bunker gear and the protection it provides does not change with the seasons. Fire burns just as hot all year round.

Just saying.
    Depends on the call I guess. We get a lot of rescue calls where we wear full PPE. If were are just cutting someone out a slightly lighter coat would be okay with me, but not a huge deal. If I am directing traffic on hot days it's usually bunker pants, T-shirt and a safety vest anyways.

Forum Member

We went through a selection process last spring and looked at Morning Pride, Veridian, Quaker, Janesville, Janesville Lion apparell and Globe extreme.

Since we were looking for gear for older and wider volunteers who would be going through the practical exams for their NFPA 1001, we chose Globe Extreme XT or whatever.

Wearing Globe was just way too cool and our mutual aid partners are envious of us for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    We went through a selection process last spring and looked at Morning Pride, Veridian, Quaker, Janesville, Janesville Lion apparell and Globe extreme.

Since we were looking for gear for older and wider volunteers who would be going through the practical exams for their NFPA 1001, we chose Globe Extreme XT or whatever.

Wearing Globe was just way too cool and our mutual aid partners are envious of us for a change.
    Way too cool? That is a criteri in a PPE selection process?

Damn I guess I missed that one. I cared about fit, comfort, flexibility, protection and durability. Silly me.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Default too cool for cool reasons

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Way too cool? That is a criteri in a PPE selection process?

Damn I guess I missed that one. I cared about fit, comfort, flexibility, protection and durability. Silly me.
    Of course it is when your in corn cobb county. There are often political reasons too when it gets down to it. Especially when you want your town board to increase your cash participation for a new fire apparatus to go with your new cool Globe turnouts. Comprehend eh? LOL

So would you say that the coat is unbelievably bulky?
    I would have to say that it's unbelievably bulky, yes.

Dick....lol

I very well could be reading into it. I sometimes do that.

BUT...I just can't help but have this ominous feeling that he is trying to tell us, in his own special way, that the coat is unbelievably bulky.

lol you're such a ****** sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    lol you're such a ****** sometimes.

But not an unbelievably bulky one.
    Maybe it's not too late

Sooooooo....What did you guys decide to get?
    Maybe it's not too late

We wear Janesville with the advance outershell and it is light with very good thermal protection...however i am NOT impressed with the way it is cut and the way it fits..the pants are ride way to high in the crotch (b*ll smashers)...but when it gets wet it feels like you are carrying a sherman tank on your back...i will be purchasing my own morning pride in the next few weeks.... just my .02 hope it helped somewhat

We ordered 4 full sets of Quaker. We will see how they work out. Next year at this time we will be ordering several more sets of gear. We will have to wait to see what type that is.

Forum Member

My second search found this --so HuntPA what's the verdict so far and what style and material did you spec?
    ?

Thread Information