Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default The History Of Extrication

I'm trying to figure out what state or agency started extrication in the USA. and world. Any information would be appreciated!

Thank You:
    Sevier County Rescue Squad 461
    Charles Mattie

MembersZone Subscriber

Good luck with that one.
    New York City had one of the first Rescue Companies ever, but as for who started extrication? You probably can't pin that one on any one agency. Someone had to be doing it for Hurst to start making tools.
    Let us know what you find

Forum Member

Well that is a great question and you need to be more spacific. Extrication has been around since day one. People got creative with lawn mower blades, prybars, etc. Now I think (Not sure) that it was NASCAR (Or what ever they called it back then) that the JAWS were originaly made for... Maybe that will point you in the right direction

Forum Member

It goes back to some one using a lever to get a chariot off some one.
    In my area we used tow truck drivers (and their trucks)who were on the FD for our auto extraction.
    ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by medicd View Post
    Well that is a great question and you need to be more spacific. Extrication has been around since day one. People got creative with lawn mower blades, prybars, etc. Now I think (Not sure) that it was NASCAR (Or what ever they called it back then) that the JAWS were originaly made for... Maybe that will point you in the right direction
    From my understanding, extrication started by the use of such antiques as the RS-10 kits. Back in the day, wreckers responded to remove people from vehicles. Most wreckers were owned by auto-body guys, so who better to disassemble a car by means of the very tools they used in their shops.

Hurst created the first "Jaws" for racing. This is the same guy that you'll likely recognize from Hurst shifters and other such products. My understanding is that the build of the cars wouldn't allow the use of the normal tools used for body repair, as race cars weren't the same as a car off the street. In particular was dealing with the rollcage.

As time moved on, ambulances, police, and fire departments started to take on the task.

You can find some info by googling "jaws of life history" and other key words, but that's the short synopsis of my knowledge of the history.

One story I've heard regarding hydraulic tools was that Hurst couldn't figure out why a fire department would want them and was at first reluctant to sell them to a FD.

Another story involved the show "Emergency." Reportedly Hurst wanted to showcase the tool on the show, but since LACoFD didn't have them, Jim Page said no, which may have led LACoFD to acquiring something like four sets.

Another version of that story was that LACoFD wanted to buy several sets and Hurst insisted that one set go for use on the show.

Randolph Mantooth addressed this when I heard him speak several years ago, but now I've got the stories all crossed up in my mind so I can't say which is correct.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

I would like to say thanks for the responces. I know it would be hard or near impossible to pin point the answer but it was a question to ask and someone might just know a story from an old timer that could be true. The information has been helpful and anymore is welcome.

Sevier County Rescue 461

Thread Information