Forum Member

Default Gloves: Long or Short Cuff

Guys,
    I'm about to order some new gloves for my department, we are finally upgrading from old junk Fireman V's to new Pro-Tech Fusions. We have always used gloves with the longer wristlets in the past. Our coats have wristlets as well, but no thumb holes.

Will we be ok with short cuff Fusions or should we get the long cuffs? I'm not sure if NFPA has a standard on which is acceptable with what type of coat or not.

Forum Member

as long as you have no exposed skin I wouldn't think it would matter as far as NFPA goes..... more a personal preference.....

Forum Member

If gear has no cuff hold downs (thumb loops etc.) you must have long cuff in order to meet NFPA1901 (and that is how the gloves are certified). Reason is when reaching overhead no thumb holddowns allows sleeves to slide down which can expose your wrists when wearing shorter gloves.

Get the long cuff gloves or have gear mfg add thumb holddown loops added to your gear.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireinfo10 View Post
    If gear has no cuff hold downs (thumb loops etc.) you must have long cuff in order to meet NFPA1901 (and that is how the gloves are certified). Reason is when reaching overhead no thumb holddowns allows sleeves to slide down which can expose your wrists when wearing shorter gloves.

Get the long cuff gloves or have gear mfg add thumb holddown loops added to your gear.
    NFPA 1901 has nothing to do with gloves, it is the standard on fire apparatus. This is where I am confused, can you only use short or gauntlet style gloves with thumbhole type wristlets or are they acceptable to use with any wristlets?

Forum Member

I dont have the standard in front of me but I believe NFPA 1971 states that the gauntlet style glove can only be used if the sleeve wristlet holddowns (thumb loops) are present. If not a knit wristlet style glove is to be used.
    Now the caviat NFPA is a standard not a requirement... unless of course your department or state has adopted this particular standard as law.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Back In Black

Go with medium. Its a nice compromise.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Go with medium. Its a nice compromise.
    There is no Medium. Also the ProTechs do not use the typical knit wristlet on their long cuff version either.

Forum Member

Have the dealer send you a pair of each. Try them with your coat. See which you like. Buy those.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Dragon Fire. Go with those. I know you didn't bring those up but man are they sweet. Have a great level of dexterity and feel. My $.02.

Forum Member

I think most dealers would send you some to try out, that and it helps to have various sizes sent so if you order for specific personnel you can have them try them out and pick the correct size. I would recommend each member try them out and do some sort of exercises in them to make sure they work with the coats. Simulate pulling drywall or just stretching out in each direction. Something to test the limits of mobility without exposing skin.

Forum Member

My department just changed gloves. We went with the longer cuffs even though our gear has the thumb-holes for the inner liners. Our reasoning, some members aren't going to put their thumb through the sleeve hole no matter how much we beat them over the head, so we went with more protection versus less.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by blaster668 View Post
    There is no Medium. Also the ProTechs do not use the typical knit wristlet on their long cuff version either.
    No medium? Then go with 3/4 length.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Thread Information