Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quick question

Forum Member

Default Quick question

If one gets hired as GS-3, how long does it take to go up the payscale? Also if one is hired as a GS-3, I assume they send you to school for training and etc? I am asking because I applied for a posistion that was a gs-3 and just got an email saying that I have been referred to the hiring manager. I have no FF experience, so I assume they are going to train me and etc. I am just curious what the timeline is from say a gs-3 to a gs-7? What should I expect? Any help is greatly appreciated.

There's really no way to answer that without knowing the specifics of the job requirement and the position description (I.E. Time-in-Grade requirements, etc....) It also depends on the "full performance rating" of the position. Some facilities top firefighters are 6's while others are 7's. I can tell you though that I was hired as a GS4 Trainee, and from the the time I walked into the door to the time I made GS7 was well over 6 or 7 years. Ended my career as a GS7 step 4.

Most facilities will bump you to the next grade or step, and then you have to spend "time in grade" 6 months or 1 year before you are eligible for the next step/grade. This may vary.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobertIIII View Post
    If one gets hired as GS-3, how long does it take to go up the payscale? Also if one is hired as a GS-3, I assume they send you to school for training and etc? I am asking because I applied for a posistion that was a gs-3 and just got an email saying that I have been referred to the hiring manager. I have no FF experience, so I assume they are going to train me and etc. I am just curious what the timeline is from say a gs-3 to a gs-7? What should I expect? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Do you have the job announcement information? Also, being referred to the hiring manager just means that you met the prerequisites from the announcement. The hiring authority will rack and stack all the applicants and make phone calls from there. Good luck!

Forum Member

A lot of times a GS-3 in the Federal Fire Service is hired to a target grade like GS-5 and you will see it like this GS-3/4/5. It used to be it took a year to go from GS-3 to 4. Not all trainees go to a fire academy or Louis F. Garland Fire Academy (DOD Fire Academy) The Dept. that hires you can train you.

Forum Member

The job is at atlus AFB in OK. They posted job openings for gs-3,4,5,6 and 7. Anyone have any info on this base? I appreciate all the info. Just trying to get a feel for how things work. The GS-3 seems like a very low wage, but I was hoping after I was trained they would bump me up to a gs4 or 5. I dunno how the fire department works, but for my current job "I am wg-11" once people get trained they can normally bump up a grade or two. Just depends.

Forum Member

The job is at atlus AFB in OK. They posted job openings for gs-3,4,5,6 and 7. Anyone have any info on this base? I appreciate all the info. Just trying to get a feel for how things work. The GS-3 seems like a very low wage, but I was hoping after I was trained they would bump me up to a gs4 or 5. I dunno how the fire department works, but for my current job "I am wg-11" once people get trained they can normally bump up a grade or two. Just depends.
    didn't altus just hire an influx of 7s and 8s? I think they are going all civ as a department. i may be wrong, but you may get save pay from your wg-11 for a little bit. i don't know all the stipulations on that but if i were you i'd check into it with your CPO.

LOL...Oh boy...Are you in for a treat....The only thing worse than being exposed to the Federal Firefighter Pay Scale as a civilian, is being exposed to the Federal Firefighter Pay Scale as a WG employee!!!!!!!

As I stated, most (but not all) firefighter positions require time-in-grade before being bumped up. As Shreddin stated, you need to check with your CPOC.

Forum Member

If you go to the forum at dodfire.com, there is a poster there that works at/worked at recently Altus AFB... he may be able to give you some insider info.

Forum Member

hmmm...never thought about the safe pay thing? Would it apply if this is a voluntary move and not a rift? I guess I will go and see the cpo, and see what they say. I have no ideal if they are going all civi, though that would make since with all the openings I have seen for their base. All I know is I want to get my foot in the door and start a career that I have always wanted to do...without taking a major paycut, that would effect my ability to provide for my family. Am I willing to make a sacrafice....sure. Like I said, I am currently a wg-11 at a job that I did when I was active duty. Its ok, but I have always wanted to be a firefighter.Thanks again for the info

Forum Member

If you do get hired and are able to move in the future, you can bump to other bases that have openings and get into higher pay grades faster

You still have to qualify and go through the hiring process

hmmm...never thought about the safe pay thing? Would it apply if this is a voluntary move and not a rift?
    You are NOT eligible for Safe Pay if you have not received a Reduction In Force notification or are on the "Stopper List."

Forum Member

Robert
    Just a question. How old are you???

Forum Member

I am 27, I have 4 years active duty and two years as federal. I know getting refered is just a start and doesn't mean I got the job, but its better then getting declined.

Thread Information