Forum Member

Default Trying my hardest to find a Sam Houston

First of all I am looking to get a sam houston leather. My crew finally said I should get one but I am literally having the damndest of times finding one. I actually have placed and order through Cairns for a brand new one but I have been waiting months. The stoppage has killed me. So now to my point. I have seen many of you comment on the earlier models of N6a's that are great finds. I know of many on ebay and craigslist alike, but if I am going to buy a salty helmet, I want to make sure its the best possible lid. So what details should I look for before I send 400 big ones to some fella in San Fran with a few shady pictures and tells me "it was only used in training burns." then sends me this helmet

Let's talk fire trucks!

What's a dude in SanFran doing with a PeeGee helmet anyway?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

You pay extra for the "Pre-Salt".....lol
    FTM - BTB - KTF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by truckedup133 View Post
    First of all I am looking to get a sam houston leather. My crew finally said I should get one but I am literally having the damndest of times finding one. I actually have placed and order through Cairns for a brand new one but I have been waiting months. The stoppage has killed me. So now to my point. I have seen many of you comment on the earlier models of N6a's that are great finds. I know of many on ebay and craigslist alike, but if I am going to buy a salty helmet, I want to make sure its the best possible lid. So what details should I look for before I send 400 big ones to some fella in San Fran with a few shady pictures and tells me "it was only used in training burns." then sends me this helmet

Having purchased leathers off of ebay before, I would look at the sellers feedback. Make sure there is a guarantee that if you arent happy with the helmet that you will get your money back. Take a close look at the pictures. There have been many new in the box N6As on ebay. There are also many used and rehab'd helmets on there. You have to make sure the seller is reputable, ebay kind of covers you there. I have not been disappointed with the helmets I have bought off of ebay.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Have you tried the Firestore.com? They may not have the color you want, but repainting a brand new helmet is not hard at all. They even sell the special paint to do it.

EDIT: What size and color do you need? And do you want Bourkes, Goggles or a shield? Remember, it HAS to come from the factory with a shield or goggles to get an NFPA sticker.

My local guy may have one, ill call and see if you want.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    LOOK,the Heat detectors went off(Bourkes)Hehe, T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post

I agree, the guy probably got it illgained!! Call up there TC and see if they are 'missing' one..
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Nah, that one never made it West, T.c.

Forum Member

As information to anyone who has been looking for an N6A, black, size Large with Bourkes, my local dealer has one in stock. I gave Trucked up first dibs on it. But if he passes on it, if anyone else has had trouble getting one, let me know.

Forum Member

To all. The helmet is new and still for sale. The lid has two pre-drilled holes on both sides about at the ears where an L bracket holds the strap for the goggles. Just an FYI. Since I hate goggles and would remove the brackets, I'm not going to spend 6 bills on a new with that has four holes in it. But all that aside, Bill (whom I spoke with) was immensley helpful and seemed to work for a great company. (Also being a patriots fan and with me being a colts fan, we discussed our mutual hatred for rex ryan) The good news is I got ahold of a nice used lid for just 200 bills and only 10 years old. After a refurb or maybe just paint, its gonna be a beaut. So anybody who is in need of a new lid hit up WD. WD----Thanks a ton man, it was close but no cigar. But seriously, thanks for the time and concern Brother. It hasn't gone unappreciated.
    -Trucked.

EDIT: And while I am on a such a high with this board....thought I would add a note. THIS RIGHT HERE is why this board is successful. Brothers helping Brothers. This bickering and drama has got to go boys.
    Last edited by truckedup133; 01-21-2011 at 03:50 PM.

Forum Member

Sorry it did not work out. He had said "Just Bourkes" but i guess he did not notice the google holes.

Glad i could help out. Happy to do it.

And for anybody else who needs a brand new N6A, to clarify now, it is.....

N6A, size LARGE, BLACK with Bourkes and Goggles so it WILL have an NFPA sticker. Not sure if it has the Eagle front holder or the standard, but that can be changed out easily in 5 minutes anyhow.

If anybody is in the market for one, let me know and ill pass along the info.

Thread Information