Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ffbam24

Thread: FIREteam total score weighting

Forum Member

Default FIREteam total score weighting

Hello all,

I have a question regarding the way FIREteam total score is calculated.

My scores are as follows:

Math 100.00%
    Reading 92.00%
    Mechanical 77.78%
    Human Relations 74.94%

Total score 75.79%

I missed banding because my HR score is .06 of 1% short of 75%

Ok fine.
    I will learn to play .06% nicer with others.

BUT - observe that, with the exception of the HR score, EVERY score is above the "Total" score of 75.79%.

That's some VERY interesting math.

Anybody know what the weighting is that's used to calculate the total score?

I mean, why even bother with math and reading if it evidently matters so little?

And BTW I passed the CPAT with only 1 week notice

So "I'll be back", regardless.

Thanks,
    =Bill
    Last edited by wm25burke; 01-19-2011 at 08:41 PM.

Forum Member

Bill,

The way they usually score the Fire Team test is as follows:
    Math: Pass/Fail
    Reading: Pass/Fail
    HR: Weighted 70%
    Mechanical Aptitude: Weighted 30%

Hope that helps clarify things, better luck next time!

Forum Member

Thanks for the reply and explanation nomex82. That makes sense regarding the total score calculation; but - , I'm not sure I'd want an EMT who just "passed" math and reading working on myself or a member of my family.

But it is what it is.

Does the FIREteam test have to be taken for each specific FD's application process - or are the results recorded and then applicable nation wide like the CPAT?

Thanks,
    =Bill
    Last edited by wm25burke; 01-19-2011 at 10:56 PM.

Forum Member

Bill,

Typically you have to take the test for each department your applying to. Keep in mind not every department uses the FIREteam test, actually most don't. But you can take the Fireteam test through National Testing Network and your score can be applied to multiple departments for a fee. Google National Testing Network and you will find more information. Hope that helps.

Forum Member

Thanks again nomex82

=Bill
    Last edited by wm25burke; 01-20-2011 at 12:08 AM.

Forum Member

Holy crap man.. You bombed that human relations part. Never answer how you would really react in a fire department! Haven't they taught you that yet?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    Holy crap man..

"It" happens.

Quote Originally Posted by wm25burke View Post
    Anybody know what the weighting is that's used to calculate the total score?
    I mean, why even bother with math and reading if it evidently matters so little?

And BTW I passed the CPAT with only 1 week notice
    I dislike this test. It's so subjective.
    Regarding the CPAT: You should be able to walk in off the street and pass it. Passing it with one week notice isn't much to shout about.

Good luck.
    PostwarToe likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Regarding the CPAT: You should be able to walk in off the street and pass it.
    Good luck.
    Agree, anyone interested in being/staying a firefighter absolutely "should" be able to.

But....

Passing it with one week notice isn't much to shout about.
    Well, I got kind of a kick out of it anyhow. Bein's how on January 01 I didn't know a CPAT from Spat and I'm just a couple of months shy of 50 years old.... and the young 20 something year old buck who took it ahead of me tanked and was still sucking O's at the aid station when I left.

It's been a fun exercise, regardless.

I have no intention of just waddling quietly into that good night like so many retirees do.

My dad retired from the PD; his brother from the FD. They were my heroes and I miss them both - both having met their early graves after "retiring". No thanks.
    =Bill
    Last edited by wm25burke; 01-21-2011 at 12:23 AM.

Well, I got kind of a kick out of it anyhow. Bein's how on January 01 I didn't know a CPAT from Spat and I'm just a couple of months shy of 50 years old.... and the young 20 something year old buck who took it ahead of me tanked and was still sucking O's at the aid station when I left.

I have no intention of just waddling quietly into that good night like so many retirees do.
    =Bill
    Well if that's the case; that kinda changes things up.
    Props to you sir! Nice Job.

Now a little caution since you're a little more advanced in age; keep up on cardio and watch what you eat these days.
    Hang tough.

Forum Member

I missed banding because my HR score is .06 of 1% short of 75%

Ok fine.

You need to know basic math and reading bc it will be used on a fire scene...however mechanical aptitude and human relations are most important in the fire service. You spend 24/7 with fellow employees in the same station and you use tools non-stop. You may want to concentrate on why you suck so bad at mechanical stuff as well as HR.
    Last edited by fyrfytr4; 01-23-2011 at 10:32 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fyrfytr4 View Post
    You may want to concentrate on why you suck so bad at mechanical stuff as well as HR.
    Well, I'll remember to think about that next time I'm laying out a circuit board or writing the real-time software code for a device that automates calibration of respiratory heaters.

Or maybe when I get around to overhauling the engine on the stand in my garage...

Or changing the oil. Or doing a brake job. Or changing a clutch....

Or welding and machining the odd bits as required for my tools and toys.

You know, the little things some of us old-schooled folks picked up in HS shop classes along with math and reading - when "The System" expected individuals to be something other than GS L.I.F.E.R.s, and to produce something other than suction on a GS Teat after graduation.

Back in the day when a test score was a test score and an objective measurement of knowledge and skill - instead of a malleable algorithmic product of data collected from individuals who've taken the same test a half-dozen times, intent upon manufacturing a refined facade of politically correct politeness.

But thanks for your concerned and thoughtful input nonetheless. Have a nice day. (see, now that's got to be worth at least a 0.01% HR improvement right there)

BTW, One of the things I learned from the family of Cops and Firemen I grew up in - is that a sense of humor is an essential survival tool.

But of course ~that's not on the test.
    Last edited by wm25burke; 01-29-2011 at 12:08 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fyrfytr4 View Post
    however mechanical aptitude..

>>Each component of FireTEAM
    >> has its own minimum passing point. These are:
    >> Human Relations Video = 75%
    >> Mechanical = 65%
    >> Math = 70%
    >> Reading = 70%.

If mechanical aptitude is so important (not that I'm disagreeing that it IS) - then why is the minimum passing point for Mechanical the lowest out of all the FireTEAM components?

Forum Member

Props to you sir! Nice Job.
    Thanks. And yes, I do keep up on Cardio.... and watch what I eat. Pretty much always have.

I've lived by the rule instilled in me by my High School coaches and health teachers - that an ounce of youthful prevention is worth a pound of geriatric cure; and so far it's evidently paying off.

It's much more fun to be middle-aged and cantankerous and healthy, than middle-aged and cantankerous, and wheezing through a tube up your nose... glancing nervously at the meter on the portable O2 machine at every family occasion --- and I've seen enough of folks doing plenty of the later, to not wish that on anybody. (So you younger lurkers in the peanut gallery take note).
    Last edited by wm25burke; 01-23-2011 at 04:57 PM.

ljm
    Forum Member

Thanks. And yes, I do keep up on Cardio.... and watch what I eat. Pretty much always have.

I've lived by the rule instilled in me by my High School coaches and health teachers - that an ounce of youthful prevention is worth a pound of geriatric cure; and so far it's evidently paying off.

It's much more fun to be middle-aged and cantankerous and healthy, than middle-aged and cantankerous, and wheezing through a tube up your nose... glancing nervously at the meter on the portable O2 machine at every family occasion --- and I've seen enough of folks doing plenty of the later, to not wish that on anybody. (So you younger lurkers in the peanut gallery take note).
    Hey WM,
    I'm with you, I took this exam with Aurora (every question was the exact same to the T) and the HR portion kills me - I tried changing up my answers a bit to see the effect on the score but I scored almost exactly the same ~ 80%. I find it pretty hard to believe that using this style of exam gives a personality measurement on an individual, my personal thoughts is that the oral boards are better indicator of that, but hey I don't make the rules I just play by them.

Good luck in the future and look up to the north, Poudre Valley is hiring, they opened their process up today.

Forum Member

WM-

Being old and cantankerous is good. Being old, in great shape, cantankerous (once you're off probation), and kicking a** on the job is infinitely better. Do yourself a favor and figure out how to answer those questions as well as the myriad of others in the exam process and crush it. (Hell, i'll even help you with the MA questions by sending you that section of a study guide I wrote.) The HR questions are usually about consistency and being superhumanly patient and considerate. Knowing how to answer them isn't a great predictor of anything, but the skills their *supposed* to reflect are huge on the job...

Let me know if I can help with the MA questions. I'm working on stuff for the HR questions for people and will have more on that in a few months.

Get the job (and then figure out how you're going to listen to a snot nosed captain who could be your kid.)

Best,

Paul C.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulC. View Post
    I'm working on stuff for the HR questions for people and will have more on that in a few months.
    Hey Paul,

I'd be interested in some practice HR questions too. Let us know when you have something put together.

Thx

Forum Member

YJ-

No problem. I'll find a way to let everyone know once I get some content on them up on my site. You can sign up (Its free) at www.gethiredbyfire.com. There's a few good articles that seem to have been helpful to some people right now. I've got more awesome stuff in the works.

Best,

PaulC.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulC. View Post
    Let me know if I can help with the MA questions. I'm working on stuff for the HR questions for people and will have more on that in a few months.
    Thanks Paul. Will do.

Thread Information