Thread: Used aerials...

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Used aerials...

Anyone have something used and for sale in their area, let's say less than ten years old or newer, needs to be a quint, and I believe 75 feet. Yes, I know the shortcomings. No, I can't do anything about it...

I've scanned every used apparatus web site, but I know there are those departments that don't list with brokers.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Okay, okay. Maybe one where they're not looking for nearly new pricing for a five year old rig...

Let's say $400,000 or so....
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Check this out. They may have something you are seeking.

http://www.atlanticemergency.com/
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Default used ladder

We will have a 1995 85' 1500 quint for sale in a month or two it in good shape

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    Okay, okay. Maybe one where they're not looking for nearly new pricing for a five year old rig...

Let's say $400,000 or so....
    Buy a Pierceeeeee. Guaranteed to appreciate every day you drink the koolaid.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by kyspeedff View Post
    We will have a 1995 85' 1500 quint for sale in a month or two it in good shape
    Since it made the local news, I'll put it out there: we've been awarded a FEMA grant to purchase a used quint. I think the grant stipulated we'd buy only something ten years old or newer. Award amount is $346,000 and change.

We had an aerial at one time, it failed UL so this is a blessing. I don't care if its used, but the challenge will be to find something decent that meets the intent of the grant narrative.

Forum Member

Ferrara has a 77 foot Quint demo for 469,000
    http://www.ferrarafire.com/Promo/stat_77quint.html

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rescueraver View Post
    Ferrara has a 77 foot Quint demo for 469,000
    http://www.ferrarafire.com/Promo/stat_77quint.html
    I saw that, but the $469,000 number is stripped. Not picking on Ferrara, as anyone else's at that price would be as well.

Forum Member

I may be off base here, but I thought the grant process placed emphasis on the a justifiable need and not a dollar amount. Having said that, I am curious why you would submit a grant for a used aerial? Especially considering that you didn't already have something in mind that would suit your needs.

And then in doing so, how did you dtermine that $346K would be enough?

Just curious.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    I may be off base here, but I thought the grant process placed emphasis on the a justifiable need and not a dollar amount. Having said that, I am curious why you would submit a grant for a used aerial? Especially considering that you didn't already have something in mind that would suit your needs.

Just curious.
    I'd love to answer those questions, but I had ZERO to do with the narrative. I'm just trying to exhaust every avenue searching for the best possible solution to our needs, especially given the requirements stipulated by the narrative and dollar amount requested.

One wonders if we had asked for the full amount, if we'd have been awarded?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post

Just curious.
    FG also has a "ROI" component, at least in the opinion on many. That is, can make it thru the programming with a less expensive unit in relationship to a given population base/call volume. So a new quint at $500k would be "Dear John" where a less expensive used truck might fly. Problem with requesting a used unit is finding a suitable piece (decent conditiona and meets all the claims in the grant app) that is in your budget a year or more after writing the grant.

You can always spend additional $ above the grant budget for a "better" or newer truck. Or scare up another $150k for a new truck. You still have a great deal. Joel surely has spare pocket change that will cover the deal.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    FG also has a "ROI" component, at least in the opinion on many. That is, can make it thru the programming with a less expensive unit in relationship to a given population base/call volume. So a new quint at $500k would be "Dear John" where a less expensive used truck might fly. Problem with requesting a used unit is finding a suitable piece (decent conditiona and meets all the claims in the grant app) that is in your budget a year or more after writing the grant.

You can always spend additional $ above the grant budget for a "better" or newer truck. Or scare up another $150k for a new truck. You still have a great deal. Joel surely has spare pocket change that will cover the deal.
    I'm sure we can find something that will fit the requirements. Brindlee had an '04 Pierce 75 footer (or something close to that) that sat there for quite a while, and of course sold not much before we were awarded... We're also not dirt poor, so I'm sure if necessary can can add some to the amount as well if necessary.

Had one good lead come off my post here so far, hoping for more!

Forum Member

I'm sure we can find something that will fit the requirements. Brindlee had an '04 Pierce 75 footer (or something close to that) that sat there for quite a while, and of course sold not much before we were awarded... We're also not dirt poor, so I'm sure if necessary can can add some to the amount as well if necessary.

Had one good lead come off my post here so far, hoping for more!
    There's this one...
    Last edited by chiefengineer11; 01-29-2011 at 05:28 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    There's this one...
    Are you playing games with me Sam?

Forum Member

Are you playing games with me Sam?
    Sort of. I had a little more in the post, then decided it wasn't politically correct. Tried to delete it completely but couldn't, so I left the teaser. I'm thinking of one you saw in Aurora, and maybe a few other places.

MembersZone Subscriber

They sold that one didn't they?

Forum Member

They sold that one didn't they?
    Yes, it did get sold.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    Sort of. I had a little more in the post, then decided it wasn't politically correct. Tried to delete it completely but couldn't, so I left the teaser. I'm thinking of one you saw in Aurora, and maybe a few other places.
    Since when in the heck did you care about being PC????? That's part of the problem with this country.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

We have a 2001 Smeal 75 foot Quint, 500 Tank 1500 GPM coming up. Excellent condition.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Since when in the heck did you care about being PC????? That's part of the problem with this country.
    I'll restate it - Tactical considerations.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by markfeather View Post
    We have a 2001 Smeal 75 foot Quint, 500 Tank 1500 GPM coming up. Excellent condition.
    Very much interested Mark. Send me info!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm thinking this process is going to be tougher than I first imagined...

Surely there has to be something out there?

Forum Member

Don't overlook ebay and Craigs List. I've run across several there. Also, www.govdeals.com

What ever you purchase, BE SURE the aerial has been third-party tested ad certified within the past year. If the owner can't provide documentation, that is a red flag and a deal breaker.

Same goes for pump tests.

C6

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Command6 View Post
    Don't overlook ebay and Craigs List. I've run across several there. Also, www.govdeals.com

What ever you purchase, BE SURE the aerial has been third-party tested ad certified within the past year. If the owner can't provide documentation, that is a red flag and a deal breaker.

Same goes for pump tests.

C6
    Roger that. I'm sure we listed that as a requirement in the grant narrative.

Thread Information