Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ready to put in Service

I just wanted to say thank you to all the people on here with all the knowledge regarding apparatus. You've all been a great help, weather you've known it or not. I've picked up a lot in the conversations and the pm's/threads that I was involved in and it went a long way in specing our new pumper. Thanks again.

Here's the rundown:
    2011 Sutphen Monarch Rescue Pumper
    224" wb
    2009 Cummins ISM 500 hp
    EVS4000 transmission
    Hale QMAX 2000 gpm top mount pump
    FoamLogix 3.3 Foam system plumbed to 3 1-3/4" + booster line
    UPF 750 gal tank with 25 gal Class A foam cell
    15k SmartPower generator
    HID headlights (not LED's )
    Hosebed handles 1500' of 5" + 3 250' 3" preconnected lines
    Attached Images Attached Images    

MembersZone Subscriber

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beautiful truck.

Looks sharp... Congrats.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Looks great, can't wait to see more pics of it. Was this built in the OH or NY facility?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Looks great, can't wait to see more pics of it. Was this built in the OH or NY facility?
    It was built at Corp in Ohio. It worked out really well, we are less than 4 hours drive from the factory. It was relatively easy to get down for inspection trips.

Being from Corp, the body is 3/16" extruded aluminum.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here are some additional pics. I'll get some additional pics of the compartments up as soon as I can. There was some very nice work by a company called Fire and Marine, Inc. They do most of Sutphen's compartment and mounting work.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Looks nice. Couple questions.

1) Is that a coffin compartment driver's side?

2) How do you get the ladder down?

3) You mind if I stop by to look at it some time? I work in Erie.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by HuntPA View Post
    Looks nice. Couple questions.

1) Is that a coffin compartment driver's side?

2) How do you get the ladder down?

3) You mind if I stop by to look at it some time? I work in Erie.
    1. Yep, thats a coffin up top. It's got the 200' coord reel for that side and foam, some brush fire equipment, and hazmat stuff.

2. That's a Zico mount that pivots out and then straight down.It puts the ladders at the correct height about 12-14" from the side of the truck. It's better option than the old pivoting arms like we have on our other engines.

3. Sure, just PM me and we can set up a time.

Pretty nice ride.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Somebody's wallet is crying because of that beautiful rig. But I do believe it was well worth it, very sharp lookin truck.
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Whats the height of the hose bed? It looks lower than most of the other rescue pumpers I've seen.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    Whats the height of the hose bed? It looks lower than most of the other rescue pumpers I've seen.
    Bottom of the hosebed is 5' from the tailboard. The top is 7'8" from the tailboard, so it's a shade under 10'. overall height is 10'7". OAL is 34'7".

Forum Member

Nice rig. I like the guard they built to protect that light tower from tree limbs!

Personally, I've always disliked the look of Sutphen's front cab lights... It IS distinctive though- you'll always know a Sutphen when you see one.

How many does that cab seat?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzle nut 22 View Post
    Nice rig. I like the guard they built to protect that light tower from tree limbs!

Personally, I've always disliked the look of Sutphen's front cab lights... It IS distinctive though- you'll always know a Sutphen when you see one.

How many does that cab seat?
    The guard is an evil necessity. We don't have one on our other engine, but it's a flat cab. I can definitely see trees getting hit with this one.

The cab seats 6 total. We didn't like the amount of room that the standard length cab gave us, we were knocking knees in street clothes. We also have the LFD cab on our 1993 Sutphens with 7 total seats. Needless to say, it's huge in there with only the 4 seats in the back.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RoaddoggAK View Post
    I just wanted to say thank you to all the people on here with all the knowledge regarding apparatus. You've all been a great help, weather you've known it or not. I've picked up a lot in the conversations and the pm's/threads that I was involved in and it went a long way in specing our new pumper. Thanks again.

Here's the rundown:
    2011 Sutphen Monarch Rescue Pumper
    224" wb
    2009 Cummins ISM 500 hp
    EVS4000 transmission
    Hale QMAX 2000 gpm top mount pump
    FoamLogix 3.3 Foam system plumbed to 3 1-3/4" + booster line
    UPF 750 gal tank with 25 gal Class A foam cell
    15k SmartPower generator
    HID headlights (not LED's )
    Hosebed handles 1500' of 5" + 3 250' 3" preconnected lines
    Just curious why you didn't go with the LED headlights since they are cheaper than the HID, have a longer warranty than the HID, and produce a better light for night time operation. Those were the three specific items that got us into those lights when we spec'ed / received our Sutphen pumper.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 93Cobra View Post
    Just curious why you didn't go with the LED headlights since they are cheaper than the HID, have a longer warranty than the HID, and produce a better light for night time operation. Those were the three specific items that got us into those lights when we spec'ed / received our Sutphen pumper.
    It was a lot of what we are comfortable with. The HID's are a "widely" used item in our county, with a dozen or so units in service. We really knew what we would be getting into, and our mechanic is comfortable with them. We also were able to drive a couple of units that have them, as our immediate mutual aid has them. All in all, it was a product that we liked, and not one that was still a relatively unknown unit.

Forum Member

Ah... I wish I could have had you drive our new pumper with them (we are in northeast Ohio). We drove a truck with HID's and compared to the LED and it was a night and day difference. The HID lights have a xenon gas and an igniter, and will have a very short life if they are not used with care. Our experience has been that HID's are very temperamental. LED's have been around for a while and everything else on the truck was LED... so, we went with LED. These lights have really made a name for themselves locally and many departments are retrofitting their trucks as well as spec'ing them on new trucks (regardless of manufacturer). Car manufacturers are now adopting this technology as they have realized HID is on its way out. The Cadillac Escalade Platinum and a few others are the first vehicles to start using this on the road. HELLA makes the headlights for those vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzle nut 22 View Post
    They are distinctive. What I always like is the Q in the grill. Think there is one other builder that can do that (HME?) so that makes the beautiful Sutphen distinct as well.

Walt
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

Quote Originally Posted by 93Cobra View Post
    Ah... I wish I could have had you drive our new pumper with them (we are in northeast Ohio). We drove a truck with HID's and compared to the LED and it was a night and day difference. The HID lights have a xenon gas and an igniter, and will have a very short life if they are not used with care. Our experience has been that HID's are very temperamental. LED's have been around for a while and everything else on the truck was LED... so, we went with LED. These lights have really made a name for themselves locally and many departments are retrofitting their trucks as well as spec'ing them on new trucks (regardless of manufacturer). Car manufacturers are now adopting this technology as they have realized HID is on its way out. The Cadillac Escalade Platinum and a few others are the first vehicles to start using this on the road. HELLA makes the headlights for those vehicles.

HID's have been around a hell of a lot LONGER than LED's. They have a proven track history and in MY experience are quite reliable. I know you're hopped right up on Led's but I've driven an awful lot of equipment over the years and I'm NOT a LED headlight freak. Like all the "new"technology you will see more and more mfgs using them but more light than a HID? Just NOT seeing it. T.C.

Thread Information