1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Erie, PA/ Home of Lake Effect Snow
    Posts
    314

    Default Ready to put in Service

    I just wanted to say thank you to all the people on here with all the knowledge regarding apparatus. You've all been a great help, weather you've known it or not. I've picked up a lot in the conversations and the pm's/threads that I was involved in and it went a long way in specing our new pumper. Thanks again.

    Here's the rundown:
    2011 Sutphen Monarch Rescue Pumper
    224" wb
    2009 Cummins ISM 500 hp
    EVS4000 transmission
    Hale QMAX 2000 gpm top mount pump
    FoamLogix 3.3 Foam system plumbed to 3 1-3/4" + booster line
    UPF 750 gal tank with 25 gal Class A foam cell
    15k SmartPower generator
    HID headlights (not LED's )
    Hosebed handles 1500' of 5" + 3 250' 3" preconnected lines
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    oxford,wi,usa
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    ChathamVFD9921's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Chatham, Ohio
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Beautiful truck.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    FIREMECH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    HUSKER LAND
    Posts
    2,425

    Default

    Looks sharp... Congrats.

    FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

  5. #5
    Let's talk fire trucks!
    BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,327

    Default

    Looks great, can't wait to see more pics of it. Was this built in the OH or NY facility?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer


    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Erie, PA/ Home of Lake Effect Snow
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Looks great, can't wait to see more pics of it. Was this built in the OH or NY facility?
    It was built at Corp in Ohio. It worked out really well, we are less than 4 hours drive from the factory. It was relatively easy to get down for inspection trips.

    Being from Corp, the body is 3/16" extruded aluminum.

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Erie, PA/ Home of Lake Effect Snow
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Here are some additional pics. I'll get some additional pics of the compartments up as soon as I can. There was some very nice work by a company called Fire and Marine, Inc. They do most of Sutphen's compartment and mounting work.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    HuntPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northwest PA
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Looks nice. Couple questions.

    1) Is that a coffin compartment driver's side?

    2) How do you get the ladder down?

    3) You mind if I stop by to look at it some time? I work in Erie.

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Erie, PA/ Home of Lake Effect Snow
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HuntPA View Post
    Looks nice. Couple questions.

    1) Is that a coffin compartment driver's side?

    2) How do you get the ladder down?

    3) You mind if I stop by to look at it some time? I work in Erie.
    1. Yep, thats a coffin up top. It's got the 200' coord reel for that side and foam, some brush fire equipment, and hazmat stuff.

    2. That's a Zico mount that pivots out and then straight down.It puts the ladders at the correct height about 12-14" from the side of the truck. It's better option than the old pivoting arms like we have on our other engines.

    3. Sure, just PM me and we can set up a time.

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,257

    Default

    Pretty nice ride.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    EngineCO38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Windham County, Vermont
    Posts
    195

    Default

    Somebody's wallet is crying because of that beautiful rig. But I do believe it was well worth it, very sharp lookin truck.
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,802

    Default

    Whats the height of the hose bed? It looks lower than most of the other rescue pumpers I've seen.

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Erie, PA/ Home of Lake Effect Snow
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    Whats the height of the hose bed? It looks lower than most of the other rescue pumpers I've seen.
    Bottom of the hosebed is 5' from the tailboard. The top is 7'8" from the tailboard, so it's a shade under 10'. overall height is 10'7". OAL is 34'7".

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Nice rig. I like the guard they built to protect that light tower from tree limbs!

    Personally, I've always disliked the look of Sutphen's front cab lights... It IS distinctive though- you'll always know a Sutphen when you see one.

    How many does that cab seat?

  15. #15
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Erie, PA/ Home of Lake Effect Snow
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nozzle nut 22 View Post
    Nice rig. I like the guard they built to protect that light tower from tree limbs!

    Personally, I've always disliked the look of Sutphen's front cab lights... It IS distinctive though- you'll always know a Sutphen when you see one.

    How many does that cab seat?
    The guard is an evil necessity. We don't have one on our other engine, but it's a flat cab. I can definitely see trees getting hit with this one.

    The cab seats 6 total. We didn't like the amount of room that the standard length cab gave us, we were knocking knees in street clothes. We also have the LFD cab on our 1993 Sutphens with 7 total seats. Needless to say, it's huge in there with only the 4 seats in the back.

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RoaddoggAK View Post
    I just wanted to say thank you to all the people on here with all the knowledge regarding apparatus. You've all been a great help, weather you've known it or not. I've picked up a lot in the conversations and the pm's/threads that I was involved in and it went a long way in specing our new pumper. Thanks again.

    Here's the rundown:
    2011 Sutphen Monarch Rescue Pumper
    224" wb
    2009 Cummins ISM 500 hp
    EVS4000 transmission
    Hale QMAX 2000 gpm top mount pump
    FoamLogix 3.3 Foam system plumbed to 3 1-3/4" + booster line
    UPF 750 gal tank with 25 gal Class A foam cell
    15k SmartPower generator
    HID headlights (not LED's )
    Hosebed handles 1500' of 5" + 3 250' 3" preconnected lines
    Just curious why you didn't go with the LED headlights since they are cheaper than the HID, have a longer warranty than the HID, and produce a better light for night time operation. Those were the three specific items that got us into those lights when we spec'ed / received our Sutphen pumper.

  17. #17
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Erie, PA/ Home of Lake Effect Snow
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 93Cobra View Post
    Just curious why you didn't go with the LED headlights since they are cheaper than the HID, have a longer warranty than the HID, and produce a better light for night time operation. Those were the three specific items that got us into those lights when we spec'ed / received our Sutphen pumper.
    It was a lot of what we are comfortable with. The HID's are a "widely" used item in our county, with a dozen or so units in service. We really knew what we would be getting into, and our mechanic is comfortable with them. We also were able to drive a couple of units that have them, as our immediate mutual aid has them. All in all, it was a product that we liked, and not one that was still a relatively unknown unit.

  18. #18
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Ah... I wish I could have had you drive our new pumper with them (we are in northeast Ohio). We drove a truck with HID's and compared to the LED and it was a night and day difference. The HID lights have a xenon gas and an igniter, and will have a very short life if they are not used with care. Our experience has been that HID's are very temperamental. LED's have been around for a while and everything else on the truck was LED... so, we went with LED. These lights have really made a name for themselves locally and many departments are retrofitting their trucks as well as spec'ing them on new trucks (regardless of manufacturer). Car manufacturers are now adopting this technology as they have realized HID is on its way out. The Cadillac Escalade Platinum and a few others are the first vehicles to start using this on the road. HELLA makes the headlights for those vehicles.




  19. #19
    Forum Member
    FFWALT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nozzle nut 22 View Post
    Personally, I've always disliked the look of Sutphen's front cab lights... It IS distinctive though- you'll always know a Sutphen when you see one.
    They are distinctive. What I always like is the Q in the grill. Think there is one other builder that can do that (HME?) so that makes the beautiful Sutphen distinct as well.

    Walt
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

  20. #20
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 93Cobra View Post
    Ah... I wish I could have had you drive our new pumper with them (we are in northeast Ohio). We drove a truck with HID's and compared to the LED and it was a night and day difference. The HID lights have a xenon gas and an igniter, and will have a very short life if they are not used with care. Our experience has been that HID's are very temperamental. LED's have been around for a while and everything else on the truck was LED... so, we went with LED. These lights have really made a name for themselves locally and many departments are retrofitting their trucks as well as spec'ing them on new trucks (regardless of manufacturer). Car manufacturers are now adopting this technology as they have realized HID is on its way out. The Cadillac Escalade Platinum and a few others are the first vehicles to start using this on the road. HELLA makes the headlights for those vehicles.



    HID's have been around a hell of a lot LONGER than LED's. They have a proven track history and in MY experience are quite reliable. I know you're hopped right up on Led's but I've driven an awful lot of equipment over the years and I'm NOT a LED headlight freak. Like all the "new"technology you will see more and more mfgs using them but more light than a HID? Just NOT seeing it. T.C.

  21. #21
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    HID's have been around a hell of a lot LONGER than LED's. They have a proven track history and in MY experience are quite reliable. I know you're hopped right up on Led's but I've driven an awful lot of equipment over the years and I'm NOT a LED headlight freak. Like all the "new"technology you will see more and more mfgs using them but more light than a HID? Just NOT seeing it. T.C.
    You would have to have the opportunity to try both styles back to back in the same environments. Once you do that, you will see the clear difference. This was all that we needed to change our spec around to include them. Plus, the LED was a cheaper option than the HID.

  22. #22
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 93Cobra View Post
    You would have to have the opportunity to try both styles back to back in the same environments. Once you do that, you will see the clear difference. This was all that we needed to change our spec around to include them. Plus, the LED was a cheaper option than the HID.
    Cobra, I've DRIVEN about every lighting option there is out there. Including 100's of thousands of miles with the the ones you find INFERIOR. I've also got a lot of hours working under lights,doing winching and recovery. For RECOVERY jobs the HID is so far ahead of the Leds as to be not even a contender. We'll use the early version Whelen worklight as an example. The Whelen worklight is a NICE light. The NEW gen version is even NICER. But it DOESN'T have the REACH of the Hid. Whelen has been messing with Led's for a while now, and they are JUST NOW getting one they are comfortable selling as a takedown in their lightbars. I know I'm an aging breed but NEVER in over 39 years of professional driving have I EVER NOT been able to see where I'm going. The things I LIKE about Leds is the long life. Things I don't like,they run cool and ice easily. Plus the expense involved in changing out 11 vehicles. The PLUS of the Led doesn't outweigh the minuses for what WE do. And I don't think I'm the MINORITY in this regard. If you think Led is the only way to go,then that is what you should spec. But there are plenty of very adequate systems BESIDES the Led. T.C.

  23. #23
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in the southeast.
    Posts
    1,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RoaddoggAK View Post
    I just wanted to say thank you to all the people on here with all the knowledge regarding apparatus. You've all been a great help, weather you've known it or not. I've picked up a lot in the conversations and the pm's/threads that I was involved in and it went a long way in specing our new pumper. Thanks again.

    Here's the rundown:
    2011 Sutphen Monarch Rescue Pumper
    224" wb
    2009 Cummins ISM 500 hp
    EVS4000 transmission
    Hale QMAX 2000 gpm top mount pump
    FoamLogix 3.3 Foam system plumbed to 3 1-3/4" + booster line
    UPF 750 gal tank with 25 gal Class A foam cell
    15k SmartPower generator
    HID headlights (not LED's )
    Hosebed handles 1500' of 5" + 3 250' 3" preconnected lines
    Beautiful rig brother. I used to be on the job at Dalton Fire Department in Dalton, GA. They went back to Sutphens while I was there starting in 2001. They had a short stint with E-One, didn't last long. Anyway, PM me if you want to give me your email address and I'll send you some pics. Again, beautiful rig.

  24. #24
    Forum Member
    FIREMECH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    HUSKER LAND
    Posts
    2,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Cobra, I've DRIVEN about every lighting option there is out there. Including 100's of thousands of miles with the the ones you find INFERIOR. I've also got a lot of hours working under lights,doing winching and recovery. For RECOVERY jobs the HID is so far ahead of the Leds as to be not even a contender. We'll use the early version Whelen worklight as an example. The Whelen worklight is a NICE light. The NEW gen version is even NICER. But it DOESN'T have the REACH of the Hid. Whelen has been messing with Led's for a while now, and they are JUST NOW getting one they are comfortable selling as a takedown in their lightbars. I know I'm an aging breed but NEVER in over 39 years of professional driving have I EVER NOT been able to see where I'm going. The things I LIKE about Leds is the long life. Things I don't like,they run cool and ice easily. Plus the expense involved in changing out 11 vehicles. The PLUS of the Led doesn't outweigh the minuses for what WE do. And I don't think I'm the MINORITY in this regard. If you think Led is the only way to go,then that is what you should spec. But there are plenty of very adequate systems BESIDES the Led. T.C.
    Yep, that pretty much sums it up, for me too. WELL DONE.

    FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

  25. #25
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Cobra, I've DRIVEN about every lighting option there is out there. Including 100's of thousands of miles with the the ones you find INFERIOR. I've also got a lot of hours working under lights,doing winching and recovery. For RECOVERY jobs the HID is so far ahead of the Leds as to be not even a contender. We'll use the early version Whelen worklight as an example. The Whelen worklight is a NICE light. The NEW gen version is even NICER. But it DOESN'T have the REACH of the Hid. Whelen has been messing with Led's for a while now, and they are JUST NOW getting one they are comfortable selling as a takedown in their lightbars. I know I'm an aging breed but NEVER in over 39 years of professional driving have I EVER NOT been able to see where I'm going. The things I LIKE about Leds is the long life. Things I don't like,they run cool and ice easily. Plus the expense involved in changing out 11 vehicles. The PLUS of the Led doesn't outweigh the minuses for what WE do. And I don't think I'm the MINORITY in this regard. If you think Led is the only way to go,then that is what you should spec. But there are plenty of very adequate systems BESIDES the Led. T.C.
    Yes, I also have many miles with HID lights (GM vehicles) and still have to say that I do not like them. I cannot tell you how many vehicles I see on the freeway with an HID burned out... these are on newer vehicles too!
    We have used scene lights that are HID and do not care for them. I have also used Whelen Pioneer scene lights (LED PFP2) and these light up the entire world. From my use, the HID is a bright light with nothing that can focus the light. The LED light produced from the Pioneer light is well focused and cuts through smoke effectively. I have seen these as scene lights on the sides of trucks as well as at the tips of aerials... all do a much better job than the HID.

    You guys that continue to throw your hands in the air with anything LED need to get out and try them. I will bet you that once you try them, you will see EXACTLY what I am talking about. I would never be an advocate for something without trying both out. I am explaining my findings from an even comparison... both headlights and scene lights.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. LODD service plans in Maine
    By leylandauto in forum Line of Duty: In Memory Of
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-09-2007, 04:39 PM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 09-11-01 Remembered
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-11-2003, 01:14 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-14-2002, 09:57 AM
  4. Fire Service and the minority status
    By BIThumper550 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-25-2002, 12:16 AM
  5. EMS and the Fire Service: The Impact on the PGFD
    By bostonff in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-21-2001, 09:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register