Forum Member

Default FF/medic - corpsman HELP!

I am a 23 y/o firefighter/EMT with a FD in california and will be recieving my Medic in about 3-5 months. I am very interested in joining Navy reserves as a corpsman. I am ready and willing to fight for my country overseas if needed. Does anyone have any sounds advice or experience? Thank you

Worldwide Menace

Quote Originally Posted by FirstDue52 View Post
    I am a 23 y/o firefighter/EMT with a FD in california and will be recieving my Medic in about 3-5 months. I am very interested in joining Navy reserves as a corpsman. I am ready and willing to fight for my country overseas if needed. Does anyone have any sounds advice or experience? Thank you
    Thank you for your considering the miliary as an option. how do I say this.. If I remember correctly, the corpsman scope of practice is EMT-B. Is only practicing at a -B level going to cause you to lapse in your medic certification over the course of your enlistment?

-Damien

Forum Member

Don't worry about loosing your Paramedic Cert. if you get activated, it wont happen! You will just have to make up training and get your IV's and Tubes in. I work with a Paramedic who is a Navy Corpsman FMF which means he is a Combat Corpsman assigned to the Marines and has been activated 3 time since Sept. 11th. If you want to be a Paramedic in the Military the Air Force PJ's are the only ones I know that are 100 % ALS Nationally Certified.

Oh, and because he was a Lieutenant Paramedic he was able to join the Naval Reserve as an E-4 and know he is an E-8 in 14 years.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DFurtman View Post
    Thank you for your considering the miliary as an option. how do I say this.. If I remember correctly, the corpsman scope of practice is EMT-B. Is only practicing at a -B level going to cause you to lapse in your medic certification over the course of your enlistment?

-Damien
    FMF corpsman can do more than a medic in the military. Just an FYI

Forum Member

Reserves used to have a Paramedic NEC...8405. Don't know if it;s still active, since this was 20 years ago.

Worldwide Menace

Quote Originally Posted by jtucker1384 View Post
    FMF corpsman can do more than a medic in the military. Just an FYI
    Same as an IDC, yet the highest cert you willl come out of the Navy with is EMT-B.. No Civilian Fire Dept is going to care that you got out of the Navy as a HM2(SW/FMF) with 3 years experience as an Independant Duty Corpsman. They will care that you have working experience in the field as an EMT-B and have the certificate to prove certification.

-Damien

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DFurtman View Post
    Same as an IDC, yet the highest cert you willl come out of the Navy with is EMT-B.. No Civilian Fire Dept is going to care that you got out of the Navy as a HM2(SW/FMF) with 3 years experience as an Independant Duty Corpsman. They will care that you have working experience in the field as an EMT-B and have the certificate to prove certification.

-Damien
    I totally agree with you on that one. I knew an HM1 that was lucky and got his medic on the military's dime and time.

Forum Member

<< Current HM3 (FMF) Been active duty for 5 years 2 years at a hospital and the rest with the USMC (Green Side) Shoot me any Questions

Forum Member

Default to: coreyhm3

Hey i am a 22 year old female and i am wanting to join a branch of the service. i have been told that the marines deals a little more closely with humanitarian efforts and that is something i am extremely interested in. i was told about the emt/ff job and i was curious what you think of the job and if you could offer any advice on joining and boot camp and all of that i am trying to get as much info as possible all i keep hearing is how i should join a different branch. is the marines really that bad?

Forum Member

Not the service if you want to be a firefighter go air force

Humanitarian maybe coast guard????

Boot camp you must not watch history, discover, military channel

More then likely most challenging of all the services

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by amgardner8807 View Post
    Hey i am a 22 year old female and i am wanting to join a branch of the service. i have been told that the marines deals a little more closely with humanitarian efforts and that is something i am extremely interested in. i was told about the emt/ff job and i was curious what you think of the job and if you could offer any advice on joining and boot camp and all of that i am trying to get as much info as possible all i keep hearing is how i should join a different branch. is the marines really that bad?
    Just an FYI most fire departments on military bases are going to DOD jobs. Most of them want you to have all your certs to get hired. I would check out USAJOBS.com and look at the requirements and then start working on getting everything you need.

Forum Member

amgardner,

As a Marine Firefighter, I will state that the USAF is THE service to join for firefighter training. They have greater opportunities to obtain training, more funding, better equipment, less collateral duties, and a better work environment.

Now, do want to be a Marine? Because that is what the Marine Corps is about. Being in or directly supporting the Fight. MOS is secondary. You could just as likely find yourself in Afghanistan on a Female Engagement Team (google it) or on guard duty as riding an ARFF truck.

The Navy/Marine Corps team certainly performs a vast array of humanitarian operations overseas-Haiti, Bangladesh, Pakistan, northern Iraq, even some in New Orleans post Katrina. However, those are usually conducted by Marine Expeditionary Units afloat, and there are no Marine firefighters in a MEU.

Marine firefighters perform Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting on air stations and when deployed. In the current war, with firefighting overseas largely contracted, plenty of Marine firefighters are running patrols or guard duty. For more info, search this forum for "USMC firefighting" and you'll find plenty of info.
    Last edited by gunnyv; 03-07-2011 at 01:05 PM. Reason: typo

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyHM3 View Post
    << Current HM3 (FMF) Been active duty for 5 years 2 years at a hospital and the rest with the USMC (Green Side) Shoot me any Questions
    My 18 y/o son is due to graduate RTC in two weeks and enlisted under the PACT. He is torn between DC and HM(FMF). If he chooses the later, will he be eligible to challenge for any of the NR EMT Certs?

Any others with first hand info please feel free jump in. Thanks in advance and thanks for your service!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard48 View Post
    My 18 y/o son is due to graduate RTC in two weeks and enlisted under the PACT. He is torn between DC and HM(FMF). If he chooses the later, will he be eligible to challenge for any of the NR EMT Certs?

Any others with first hand info please feel free jump in. Thanks in advance and thanks for your service!
    The DC rating is the Navy's primary for shipboard firefighting and flooding. An HM works in the medical dept but depending upon where the HM is stationed it could be a variety of medical related jobs or skills they do. I've been out of the Navy for 10 years now and I know some has changed but BOTH are/were good rates. If he doesn't mind going to sea, DC would be the place. If he wants to stay on land, he's better off as an HM.

Thread Information