Forum Member

Smile Wanting to be a career firefighter. I need some advise!! Help me out brothers.

Hello, I am 21 years old and I started at the local vol. Fire department this past year. I have been through my fire fighter one and still looking to take more classes. Over the time I have been in it I have grown to love what I volunteer for. All my life I have been surrounded by the life of a firefighter. My grandfather is a founding member of the vol. department, and my father is currently the chief. When I was little I was your normal kid obsessed with fire trucks. I am just trying to seek some words of advise from any and all fire fighters on here. Thank you very much for taking the time to read this and help me out.

Forum Member

If you wish to become a career firefighter, you will be required to meet certain requirements to apply. You should contact the departments that you wish to apply to and request a copy of the firefighter job description.

Most likely, the job requirements must be met before you apply. Five requirements that are most likely required are: Firefighter I, Firefighter II, EMT, Hazardous Materials Operations and a valid drivers license. The job descriptions will inform you specifically what you need to obtain.

One of the problems that occur in the fire service, is that if you recieve a certification in one state, is that it will not be recognized in another. Make sure you obtain certifications with Pro-Board or other recognized certifications, so they can be transferable to other states. You will have to research this with the certifications you pursue.

Since there are many applicants for firefighter positions, you will want to obtain additional certifications (Hazardous Materials Technician, Paramedic, etc.) to give yourself an edge over the other applicants.

Other issues that you need to be aware of, is no criminal convictions, good health, physically fit, etc.

You may want to consider joining the Air Force to obtain firefighter training or attend a fire-rescue school, availiable at community colleges, etc.

Good luck in your endeavors!

MembersZone Subscriber

Re: Air Force/Military

Join to serve your country.
    Not to serve yourself, and certainly not to get some cert.

Oh, plus get ahold of a GED, ASVAB, or FIREFGHTER test preparation manual at the bookstore in the reference section. The written test is the second step of getting a job (the first is submitting a readable application). Either way, you should know the difference between "advise" and "advice" as spelling is a graded section in most written exams.

Good luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE117 View Post
    If you wish to become a career firefighter, you will be required to meet certain requirements to apply. You should contact the departments that you wish to apply to and request a copy of the firefighter job description.
    Do exactly as this person just told you, we can give youall of the advice in the world pertaining to our departments but a lot of what you have to do is dependant on the department you are applying for. Which department are you looking at? The reason I ask is that a lot of departments that have a career side have a section on their website that talks about employment with them and tells you what you'll need. Some, like Charlotte, even have recruiters that you can contact to see what you'll need.

Most likely, the job requirements must be met before you apply. Five requirements that are most likely required are: Firefighter I, Firefighter II, EMT, Hazardous Materials Operations and a valid drivers license. The job descriptions will inform you specifically what you need to obtain.
    Luckily I had all of this or the department that I'm volunteering with would have made me go through their probie school. Mine transferred from Georgia to North Carolina.

One of the problems that occur in the fire service, is that if you recieve a certification in one state, is that it will not be recognized in another. Make sure you obtain certifications with Pro-Board or other recognized certifications, so they can be transferable to other states. You will have to research this with the certifications you pursue.
    The only thing I would change with this advice is that it might not be recognized, mine were recognized in North Carolina and I got all of my cert's in georgia. Also, even if you get pro-board certs, if you try to get a job in Florida, they won't recognize anything held outside of a Florida fire academy. That's just their policy at most of their departments. At least all of the main ones that I have looked at working for.

Since there are many applicants for firefighter positions, you will want to obtain additional certifications (Hazardous Materials Technician, Paramedic, etc.) to give yourself an edge over the other applicants.
    Work on your college as well, even if you don't aquire the degree before you get hired on, it still looks good on you.

Everything he said about the military is true, even if you sdon't do any kind of fire related MOS in the military, you still get veterans preferance points at most departments.

Good luck, and have fun brother.

Forum Member

Go into the military, get yourself straight and educated. You can take college courses while the service.

Come out and look for a city or county that may be hiring. Apply for jobs where they are. Hopefully you can get hired on.

There are a lot of fire departments in the urban area, metro's, that do not require you to have anything but a valid driver's license, be a United States Citizen and have a clean background, police record, driving and etc., to apply.

There are some departments that require you to have certain qualifications and certifications to apply. This is because all they have to do is to fast tract you through their standards and procedures and put you in a company usually within a month or 6 weeks.

Once they hire you, that department will train you to their standards and certify you as their procedures call for and continue to train you during your career.

Best of all you are getting a pay check twice a month or every two weeks and are accumulating seniority as you go.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Re: Air Force/Military

Join to serve your country.
    Not to serve yourself, and certainly not to get some cert.
    He can join to serve his country and to serve himself. That's what I'm doing. I walked away from a 7 year career at a good department to serve in the Marine Corps. You can bet your bottom dollar that I'm gonna take advantage of every benefit I can get out of it too. I'm finishing my bachelors degree before I EAS in 2012. Most folks in the military now are in it to serve for four years, get their education and whatever certifications they can, and then get out and move on to a profession inthe civilian world. That doesn't make one a bad airman, Marine, soldier, or sailor, just smart enough to get what they can out of their service. They make enough sacrifices that I have no problem with them usig=ng every single educational benefit that the U.S. Govt. offers. Again, just my $0.02's worth, .

MembersZone Subscriber

I hear you there and I agree in getting what you can while in and utilizing the G.I. Bill when you get out. I just don't think someone should join in order to get some cert or else they're in for a rough period of adjustment to military life. I'm sure you're serving with at least one of those right now

So why did you join? You obviously had the career going already.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    He can join to serve his country and to serve himself. That's what I'm doing. I walked away from a 7 year career at a good department to serve in the Marine Corps. You can bet your bottom dollar that I'm gonna take advantage of every benefit I can get out of it too. I'm finishing my bachelors degree before I EAS in 2012. Most folks in the military now are in it to serve for four years, get their education and whatever certifications they can, and then get out and move on to a profession inthe civilian world. That doesn't make one a bad airman, Marine, soldier, or sailor, just smart enough to get what they can out of their service. They make enough sacrifices that I have no problem with them usig=ng every single educational benefit that the U.S. Govt. offers. Again, just my $0.02's worth, .
    Devil Dog,
    The point is don't join unless it is FIRST to serve your country. Guys who join with the whole intent to get what they can for themselves out of it are the guys that go UA and go home with the BCD. By all means take advantage of every opportunity to get your education while in, but DON'T enlist if that is your top motivation.
    Yut.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    I hear you there and I agree in getting what you can while in and utilizing the G.I. Bill when you get out. I just don't think someone should join in order to get some cert or else they're in for a rough period of adjustment to military life. I'm sure you're serving with at least one of those right now
    HAHA, point taken, and yes, there are some I wish hadn't made it through boot camp.

So why did you join? You obviously had the career going already.
    Didn't want to regret the rest of my life not serving. Wanted to do it at 19, let my dad talk me out of it. Then 9/11 happened and I wanted to do it, but I wasn't sure what my wife of 1 year would say. Then it came up in conversation and she said go for it. She said if worse comes to worse I could always get out and go back to being a firefighter after my contract was up. Guess I had my mid-life crisis at 29, glad that's outta the way.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dennisthemenace View Post
    devil dog,
    the point is don't join unless it is first to serve your country. Guys who join with the whole intent to get what they can for themselves out of it are the guys that go ua and go home with the bcd. By all means take advantage of every opportunity to get your education while in, but don't enlist if that is your top motivation.
    Yut.
    Yuuutttttt!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    HAHA, point taken, and yes, there are some I wish hadn't made it through boot camp.

Didn't want to regret the rest of my life not serving. Wanted to do it at 19, let my dad talk me out of it. Then 9/11 happened and I wanted to do it, but I wasn't sure what my wife of 1 year would say. Then it came up in conversation and she said go for it. She said if worse comes to worse I could always get out and go back to being a firefighter after my contract was up. Guess I had my mid-life crisis at 29, glad that's outta the way.
    HaHa! There's always one or two.

By that response one can tell it was a sense "to serve". Thanks for doing so brother and huge kudos to the wife (if she's stuck it out so far)!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF115 View Post
    Hello, I am 21 years old and I started at the local vol. Fire department this past year. I have been through my fire fighter one and still looking to take more classes. Over the time I have been in it I have grown to love what I volunteer for. All my life I have been surrounded by the life of a firefighter. My grandfather is a founding member of the vol. department, and my father is currently the chief. When I was little I was your normal kid obsessed with fire trucks. I am just trying to seek some words of advise from any and all fire fighters on here. Thank you very much for taking the time to read this and help me out.
    You need to do what you love and love what you do.

That being said, if being a firefighter is what you truly enjoy, pursue it! I have been in the military for almost 20 years (April) and while it was great, I learned a lot, I never found exactly what I was looking for. I have worked as an aircraft mechanic, a cop (mil and civ) and a firearms instructor (which I really liked). But it wasn't until I went to my first house fire as a volly and one of the firefighters said "grab that nozzle and start putting some water on that fire" that I realized what I wanted to do.
    I am a 39 year old female and starting a new career now sounds crazy, but the men I have worked with are super cool. I have been accepted as one of the "guys". When that firefighter told me to pick up the hose I looked around to see who he was talking to. I had one class, PPE!! But I went right in there and worked my *** off. I haven't looked back since. The guys respect me because they know I will work. I can't do a lot of things, but I am willing to try and do most anything and that's what matters.
    The bottom line is, if you want something bad enough, go for it. The worst that happens is that you find out it isn't for you. I wish I had gotten into firefighting sooner. But while I don't regret the time I spent in the military I do not advocate it. If you want to be a firefighter, go somewhere you will get experience. The military is good, but you won't always get a lot of experience there.

The choice is yours. Good luck and Godspeed.

LFC

Thread Information