Forum Member

Default Milwauke fire big decisions

So,

I applied for this job a while back now. I'm not even sure where I am on the list anymore. Maybe like 250. But my question is:

1.) If given a chance to work for milwaukee fire department, how many people out there would accept the job offer knowing that they have to live in the city. I just want some opinions from you guys to see if you think it would be worth it. I'm not saying that I have a shot in getting hired, but I know someone that does.

Thanks!!

Dan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firechicken72 View Post
    So,

I applied for this job a while back now. I'm not even sure where I am on the list anymore. Maybe like 250. But my question is:

1.) If given a chance to work for milwaukee fire department, how many people out there would accept the job offer knowing that they have to live in the city. I just want some opinions from you guys to see if you think it would be worth it. I'm not saying that I have a shot in getting hired, but I know someone that does.

Thanks!!

Dan
    And the alternative to not accepting a job offer is what? It would be one thing if you had several other jobs to choose from, but if not, would living in the city be a big deal? Besides there have been people to move on to other depts later on and there are still those that have a residency requirement.

It depends on what you are looking at and the options you have. It is also possible that there may be open residency in the future as well.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

The alternative would be to decline the job, and wait for something else to open up. I am currently employed as a manager of a retail department, but I want to change jobs. I'm not saying that my friend nor I would do this. Just getting some opinions. I have heard some bad things about living in the ciy of milwaukee. I dont know If I would want to move my family here. I have young kids. Any input would help. I'm Just trying to make the right choice. thanks

dan

Forum Member

I'd call one of the firehouses and ask some of the guys with families about where they live and how they like it.

Looking at the crime stats it doesn't look like that bad of a place. I've never been there. So probably best leave that to someone who works for MFD.

Good luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firechicken72 View Post
    The alternative would be to decline the job, and wait for something else to open up. I am currently employed as a manager of a retail department, but I want to change jobs. I'm not saying that my friend nor I would do this. Just getting some opinions. I have heard some bad things about living in the ciy of milwaukee. I dont know If I would want to move my family here. I have young kids. Any input would help. I'm Just trying to make the right choice. thanks

dan
    That is what I mean, if you really want to be a FF, it doesn't make much sense to turn down an actual offer to hope something else opens up. Milwaukee, like any city, will have good parts and bad parts and may not be as bad as what you think.

However, like I mentioned residency may open up. I can't confirm the rumor, but when talking with our local president as well as some MFD members, the new govenor said that if a residency bill (to open residency) came across his desk, he would sign it.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

awesome, hey thanks guys

Forum Member

Several options as I see it.

1. Stay where you are and make a go at being in retail.

2. If offered, accept the job from MFD and do the best you can. There will always be good and bad. No one ever said the job or city would be a cake walk.

3. You want higher crime areas? Go to the DC or the Philly regions.

Forum Member

You and/or your friend should worry about getting the job first, if they even put through any more classes. I believe you have 6 mos. then to gain residency. If you like the job then the move is worth it. There are plenty of nice neighborhoods on the outskirts, and specific areas where most city employees live.

Forum Member

I live in downtown Milwaukee. I've lived in the city of Milwaukee for almost 2 years now. I spent a year up near the UW-Milwaukee campus and moved last August to the 13th floor of an apartment building downtown at 3rd and Wisconsin. Although I can not speak from a father's perspective, my own opinion is that Milwaukee is not a bad place at all. There are several family oriented neighborhoods within the city limits. And regardless of the type of housing you're looking to purchase or rent, there should be several options. A lot of the nicer neighborhoods are close to the upper-east side. Especially close to Lake Michigan. Use Google Maps to check out some of the streets east of Locust & Downer. I used to live on the corner of Locust & Downer. I saw kids playing outside safely all the time in this area. Several homes have fenced in backyards even.

I'm not sure of the details of Milwaukee's residency requirements, since their application process was prior to my interest in the career, but several of the suburbs close to Milwaukee are also really nice - if that is an option.

Summer is phenomenal here, especially if you enjoy music and food. There's Summerfest, Irishfest, State Fair, Polishfest, Germanfest, Jazz in the Park, Discovery World, Milwaukee Art Museum, Brewer Games, Milwaukee Public Museum, etc. Literally something to do with the family every week right along the lake front.

Also, just a footnote, Madison has repeatedly been one of America's top 5 cities to raise a family -- which is only 3 hours away from Milwaukee. So if you ever did decide Milwaukee wasn't right for you -- I'm sure it wouldn't hurt having some local references for the departments in the Madison area.

I'm sure there are fathers with the Milwaukee Fire Department though, so as someone else mentioned, they'd definitely be a great resource.

Yes, Milwaukee has a bad rep and parts of the city have certainly earned it, but I'm sure there is a niche somewhere here for you and/or your friend.

Good luck bud!
    Last edited by JoeyCrush; 01-22-2011 at 08:29 PM.

Forum Member

According to the city's web site:

City of Milwaukee residency within six months of hire and throughout employment.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    According to the city's web site:

City of Milwaukee residency within six months of hire and throughout employment.
    Thanks CaptOldTimer.

So suburbs like Wauwatosa or Whitefish Bay wouldn't be an option - but theres still options in Milwaukee. If you could see yourself in a condo or something for a few years to start - the 3rd ward near Downtown is stellar.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyCrush View Post
    I'm not sure of the details of Milwaukee's residency requirements, since their application process was prior to my interest in the career, but several of the suburbs close to Milwaukee are also really nice - if that is an option.

Also, just a footnote, Madison has repeatedly been one of America's top 5 cities to raise a family -- which is only 3 hours away from Milwaukee. So if you ever did decide Milwaukee wasn't right for you -- I'm sure it wouldn't hurt having some local references for the departments in the Madison area.
    As mentioned residency right now consists of a MFD employee to live within the city limits.

Madison is nice, but doesn't mean a thing in regards to Milwaukee, local references really don't mean a thing as well. The testing for MFD is about as hands off as one can get with a pass/fail written test, a pass/fail PAT, with the only aspect being graded is the BPAD test which is graded by an outside party. So really it doesn't matter if you play golf with a chief, it doesn't really help your prospect.

Thread Information