Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Chassis questions

All other things being equal, I have two bids that I am comparing.

They use the same chassis, an International 2011, 4400 SBA 4X2 with the Maxxforce 9 engine at 330HP.

#1 is the same as two - with these exceptions. Axle, rear single, dana spicer s30-190, 30k lb capacity 5.38 gearing. 83 inch axle to frame. Bendix AD-IP air dryer with heater. Berg drain valve, manual with pull chain for air tank. Sheppard M-100 power steering gear. Starter Delco Remy 42MT type 450. Front wheel seals, grease lubricated includes wheel bearings.

#2, axle, rear single, Meritor RS-26-185 26k capacity, 5.38 gearing. 55 inch axle to frame. Air Dryer Meritor Wabco System Saver 1200 with heater. Bendix DV-2 Drain valve, automatic iwth heater for air tank. Sheppard HD94 power steering gear. Starter Delco Remy 38MT type 300. Wheel Seals front, international oil lubricated wheel bearings.

If your identical otherwise, which would you go with and why? why the difference in the Chassis as built from IH?

AND,

Fire Research TGA300 versus the Fire Research PBA400-A00?

Forum Member

The axles look like the only big difference with a 4000lbs between them, the rest is changed depending what options are ordered on the truck. Different systems for placement purposes, but all accomplish the same thing. I'm assuming the 26,000lb axle truck is cheaper, so when the rig is fulled loaded (Water & Tools) will you need the extra 4,000lbs, or do you have enough leftover capacity to do without? If you won't need the extra capacity, I would pick the 26,000lb truck and save the extra money. I don't know enough about the different Fire Research products, to give an honest opinion. Don't the little details run you insane? :-)
    Last edited by ADC120; 01-23-2011 at 02:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ADC120 View Post
    The axles look like the only big difference with a 4000lbs between them, the rest is changed depending what options are ordered on the truck. Different systems for placement purposes, but all accomplish the same thing. I'm assuming the 26,000lb axle truck is cheaper, so when the rig is fulled loaded (Water & Tools) will you need the extra 4,000lbs, or do you have enough leftover capacity to do without? If you won't need the extra capacity, I would pick the 26,000lb truck and save the extra money. I don't know enough about the different Fire Research products, to give an honest opinion. Don't the little details run you insane? :-)
    How much water is on the rig?

On the Fire Research question, you're looking at an InControl governor (TGA300), which uses push buttons to increase/decrease the throttle or pump discharge pressure, and a Pump Boss (PGA400) which uses more of a conventional rheostat/throttle knob to increase/decrease your settings. I'd pick the Pump Boss, as the hand wheel is much more user friendly. You can get an InControl with a wheel as well (which is a TGA400). The Pump Boss is also much more compact than an InControl.

If you dig in Fire Research's web site, you can find simulators for both types, if you want to see how they operate. We have two of the In Controls with the push buttons, and just took delivery of an engine with an InControl with the wheel which is much nicer to operate. We only opted for the InControl instead of the Pump Boss so it would look the "same" as the other two engines with governors...
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

2000 gallons.

And suprisingly, the 3k axles are on the lower cost truck, so there is no cost savings for going with the 2600 chassis, in fact it is the truck that costs more.

Remember, I said everything else but listed is equal.

I will dig a little more on Fire Research's page, but I tend to agree with you on the controls.

Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't have a dog to throw into the chassis, but I've had the chance to play with the FRC 300 and 400 InControl modules. Both work great. The biggest difference, as mentioned, is whether you want a verneer-style knob or push buttons.

I prefer the knob, myself. It's easier to adjust when you have gloves on or when it's cold and the fingers are starting to get a little numb. Plus, most guys I know like it because it's not a major change from what we've been using.

I also tend to like the layout of the InControl panel rather than the PumpBoss. It seems like it's easier to find what you're looking for, be it pressure, RPM, engine temp. or whatever. The InControl also has the pump intake and discharge pressures, where it appears the PumpBoss only has discharge.

One recommendation- just because the governor has the intake and discharge pressures, don't forego the master intake/discharge gauges on the panel.

Talking

The additional GVW capacity of # 1 will end up carrying the weight of the water better. personally I would prefer the spicer rear axel over the meritor for ease of parts availability.
    What are the differences in rear brake size if any?
    Sometimes the Meritor have bigger shoes .
    The rest of the minor differences are just the way someone specced the chassis.

Do you have a local Navistar truck dealership?
    If so run the specs by the salesman with the most knowledge of speccing emergency service chassis's.

Forum Member

Put your dealer(s) on the spot! Make THEM explain. Then.....perhaps you can "talk price".

Quote Originally Posted by MaximI View Post
    Put your dealer(s) on the spot! Make THEM explain. Then.....perhaps you can "talk price".
    I agree... make the dealer/manufacturer explain why they went with those axles. While you're at it, I would ask for a weight evaluation. This will take out the "they're over-doing it" or "they're under-doing it" opinions out of the equation. Obviously, under-spec'ing the weight of the truck can lead to disaster, whether via inadequate braking, or poor handling.

As for the FRC stuff, I would second the knob in place of the buttons... but that's my preference. I've never really liked the buttons, and as stated earlier, the knob is very easy to use with gloves on. If you have the real estate available on the pump panel for the InControll unit, it never hurts to have redundant gauges. Either unit will respond quickly, and you should be happy with either.
    TruckCommittee.com

Two questions. How long you gonna keep it and what else are you putting on it? For long life,I'd favor the 30K axle,but that's just me. T.C.

Thread Information