Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Smile Looking for some help..

Hi!
    My name is Sarah, I am currently a Navy wife. My husband is on the last leg of his 5 year enlistment. He is a Damage controlman. He has been looking into going DoD fire if things don't work out the way he wants with his re-enlistment. I am of course worried about a few things and was hoping that maybe you guys could offer some advice.
    1.How hard is it to get into a station? We have a friend who is at the station that my husband wants to get into and he says he can help but I mean in reality it has to be more than just knowing someone right?
    2. What is entry pay like for DOD firefighters? We are used to the Navy pay, husband is a 3rd class or an E4. Does the pay go off ranking like that? I know this next one is kinda silly but We also get a housing allowance, Do you get anything like that or is it just base pay?
    3. What are schedules like? Is it like a few days on and a few off?
    4. I know since it's still a DoD job but would our insurance stay tricare?Or would it go to something else? Is there like a probation period he has to go through before he gets insurance or is it right when he gets hired?
    I think that is all I can think of right now! Thanks for baring with me here I am just trying to see what to expect and weigh our options as to if this would be a good decision for us!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Navywife4life View Post
    Hi!
    My name is Sarah, I am currently a Navy wife. My husband is on the last leg of his 5 year enlistment. He is a Damage controlman. He has been looking into going DoD fire if things don't work out the way he wants with his re-enlistment. I am of course worried about a few things and was hoping that maybe you guys could offer some advice.
    1.How hard is it to get into a station? We have a friend who is at the station that my husband wants to get into and he says he can help but I mean in reality it has to be more than just knowing someone right?
    2. What is entry pay like for DOD firefighters? We are used to the Navy pay, husband is a 3rd class or an E4. Does the pay go off ranking like that? I know this next one is kinda silly but We also get a housing allowance, Do you get anything like that or is it just base pay?
    3. What are schedules like? Is it like a few days on and a few off?
    4. I know since it's still a DoD job but would our insurance stay tricare?Or would it go to something else? Is there like a probation period he has to go through before he gets insurance or is it right when he gets hired?
    I think that is all I can think of right now! Thanks for baring with me here I am just trying to see what to expect and weigh our options as to if this would be a good decision for us!
    Yes knowing someone is a big plus and you can do a lot of research on the internet. Make sure he gets help with his resume as that is the best way to get on they look for certain keywords on your resume. So I would suggest talking to someone who is savvy with DOD resume but I would not pay there are plenty of free services for vets. Look up usajobs for the job posting it will tell you a lot of info about the job plus there are plenty of forums on here about DOD firefighting. I will tell you this DOD fire departments dont run many calls so your husband may want to look at civilian firefighting. I went from military to civilian firefighting and I can say my pay is pretty much the same and my insurance for me and my family is way better than tricare could ever think about being. If you have anymore questions just ask.
    Last edited by jtucker1384; 01-23-2011 at 10:27 PM.

DOD firefighters generally start at GS-5, but due to their schedules the annual pay is somewhat higher than a regular, 9-to-5 GS-5.

How busy a federal fighter is depends a lot on where he/she works. Some installations are pretty 'sleepy' and most of their time is spent doing inspections and the like and running the occasional automatic alarm. Because these bases are heavily into fire prevention, the don't see a lot of fire.

The larger installations are small cities. The fire load isn't usually real high (as above), but the traffic accidents, automatic alarms, medicals (if they run them) and such can keep them going. Some installations are also heavily involved with the civilian communities around them, regularly running "out the gate" to assist with incidents.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Forum Member

Thank you guys, I appreciate it! I figured there was a DOD forum but I didn't find it untill just now! oops! We live in San Diego right now and this is where he wants to stay since we are from here (he got really lucky, getting stationed here!!Lol) I know that the department on 32nd street isn't really that busy ever. JTucker thanks for the link, I will show it to my husband!!

MembersZone Subscriber

You are welcome and if you want a website with up to date posting of jobs check out Firerecruit.com. It is the best website I have found and it is updated everyday with new job postings for the entire united states.

Thread Information