Forum Member

Default Are separate standpipes in the same building required to be interconnected?

I believe in the current NFPA 14 it says separate standpipes in the same building are required to be interconnected, has that always been the case? If you plug into any standpipe connection in a building will it supply all the standpipes in that building?

Forum Member

Ssuggest you take some advanced fire science classes if available in your area

The answer is yes interconnection has been require for awhile

Normally there is a fdc or fire pump to feed the entire system

I do believe there was a recent fire, forgot where, where they did lay hose into the stairwell to feed the system

You would have to check the buildings you might respond to to see if they are interconnected

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Ssuggest you take some advanced fire science classes if available in your area

The answer is yes interconnection has been require for awhile

Normally there is a fdc or fire pump to feed the entire system

I do believe there was a recent fire, forgot where, where they did lay hose into the stairwell to feed the system

You would have to check the buildings you might respond to to see if they are interconnected
    Your answer is a little on the condescending side. It's impressive that you can "suggest" that a person takes some more classes based on 1 or 2 questions they ask on an internet forum. I do appreciate your answer though.
    Last edited by Dibbs12; 01-25-2011 at 08:17 PM.

Forum Member

There is a huge difference between required and what is actually so. If there are multiple standpipes things will work out 1 of 3 ways. The standpipes will be interconnected and they won't be interconnected at all. The third option is some odd combination where the FDC for a standpipe will feed multiple ones, where as other standpipes will feed only itself. All depends on what happened between construction and the time of the fire. You won't know the answer unless you or someone on your department found out for themselves.

I too have to echo the sentiment that if you are asking questions on an internet forum like this and you are in an area where you may respond to fires in large buildings with these features you really need to learn more or ask the people you work with. Especially concerning the exterior fire stairs, these are not new buildings, someone in your firehouse has to be able to answer these questions.

Thread Information