Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Overseas Firefighting Jobs....How Do I sucessfully Apply?

I have been a military firefighter for a little over three years now. I have heard of all these jobs overseas and how easy they are to get. Although i have also heard you have to have key words in your resume and that if not it will get kicked out and not even be seen by a human. i am looking for some help on just what to do i am pretty sure i have the certs it takes to go over but and not sure what is the best route to do this. I have a current contract that isnt up untill next december so i want to get this started so i can roll right over into it. I have

First responder
    Hazmatt Awareness & Opps
    Firefighter 1 & 2
    Airport Firefighter
    Fire Instructor 1 & 2
    Fire Inspector 1 & 2
    Fire Officer 1 & 2
    Driver opperator
    Mobile Water supply
    *ALL of these certs Are Proboard & DOD
    I Currently am in a EMT-B Course which will be over in MAY 2011 so i will have that.

I dont care what position i get i would like to get my foot in the door. I am Currently a shift leader and a chrewchief and have been for 2 years so i have leadership experience although i am young. i would appreciate any help you could give to this subject.

Forum Member

Any reason you do not want to stay in the us and work for a city dept??

What state are you in now???

Forum Member

Delete.....
    Last edited by dougwdavis21; 02-19-2011 at 08:58 AM.

Forum Member

delete.....
    Last edited by dougwdavis21; 02-19-2011 at 09:00 AM.

Forum Member

Default not sure

I am currenty in Indiana 20 minutes south of Indianapolis. I have thought about civilian departments but everyone i have talked to has told me that most depts are on hireing freezes. For example Indy Fire is on a 4 year hireing freeze. I am willing to relocate to where ever it takes.I thought if i went overseas i may have the oppertunity to make alot of money as well as get my foot in the door with some big companies for things state side. I Can extend a year at a time where i am at but there is little to no advancement and at my age and place in my career i want to try to make every ambition to advance in my career. I am open to any advice or guidance that can be offered.
    Last edited by dougwdavis21; 02-19-2011 at 09:00 AM.

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by dougwdavis21 View Post
    I have been a military firefighter for a little over three years now. I have heard of all these jobs overseas and how easy they are to get. Although i have also heard you have to have key words in your resume and that if not it will get kicked out and not even be seen by a human. i am looking for some help on just what to do i am pretty sure i have the certs it takes to go over but and not sure what is the best route to do this. I have a current contract that isnt up untill next december so i want to get this started so i can roll right over into it. I have

First responder
    Hazmatt Awareness & Opps
    Firefighter 1 & 2
    Airport Firefighter
    Fire Instructor 1 & 2
    Fire Inspector 1 & 2
    Fire Officer 1 & 2
    Driver opperator
    Mobile Water supply
    *ALL of these certs Are Proboard & DOD
    I Currently am in a EMT-B Course which will be over in MAY 2011 so i will have that.

I dont care what position i get i would like to get my foot in the door. I am Currently a shift leader and a chrewchief and have been for 2 years so i have leadership experience although i am young. i would appreciate any help you could give to this subject.
    Start applying now if your planning on getting out at 4 years. You have all DOD certs, so its just a matter of finding a company hiring FF's. When it comes time for your interview, give them your seperating date. You can also promote up while overseas, and FF is the easiest way to get your foot in the door. Plus, like me, you have ARFF Cert and DO Cert.

You might look at NAS Crete too. It is an open base, attached to the International AP as well. They hire year round for civilian DO's and up. It is a 2 year commitment and they pay your travel and household goods, + one vehicle, just as the military pays active duty. Plus a housing and food allowance, since you will live off base. DOD also has civilian FFs in Italy and Guam. Keep your options open since you are young and probably not married yet. They (DOD) hire Fire Inspectors all over the world to, at 10x's the bases they hire just FF's. Since you have FI 1 and 2.

Thread Information