Forum Member

Exclamation Exploding Drive Shaft Injures Firefighter

There were a couple of us hanging at the firehouse one evening just joking around haveing a good time just like any other evening. the toans droped a report of a truck fire in the county. well we filled the rescue and the tanker both going opisite ways both being equall in distance due to the fact that control wasnt sure of the exact location. wile enroute we encountered a hill that was covered in ice therefore we threw the chains on the truck so we could safely pass the area. this caused us to be last on scene. all of our guys on R64 were packed up and ready to go. arriving to the scene we found a ull sized rRam 1500 fully envolved. the fuel tank had already vented. E66's crew had already pulled a line and was doing primary attack on the vehicle. i took the nozzle since i was packed up and had my PPE on i was involved in fire supretion activities and between trying to keep the burning fuel running towards the creek out and trying to put the fre that was burning underneith the truck out i was reaching into the driver side fenderwell tring to get the fuel tank as cool as possible all of a sudden a loud explotion and a bright white flash is the last thing i remeber until a few seconds later i remeber being on my knees behind the pickup, from what i was told the fire blewout and surounded myself and the blast knockedme down. they also said the blast was hard enough it knocked items out of other firefighters hand that were out of the hot zone, one of the officers grabed me and and asked me if i was ok and i realized i had completly lost the hearing in my left ear and had a horrible headache. my cheif insisted on having me taken to the hospital and to get checked out. they found that my ear drum was busted and i had a concution from the blast. later i was told that it had appeared to be the driveshaft!?? we were all confused with what everyone saw the drive shaft was in two parts and the ends slit and mushroomed. none of us have ever heard of this happening. dose anyone know what would have made this happen??

http://wowktv.com/story.cfm?func=vie...&storyid=93107

Forum Member

Yes, hot air expands enough to blow drivelines apart at the seams. It's the same as hood and bumper struts grenading only drivelines are not gas charged.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Yup. A driveshaft is an enclosed piece of steel or Aluminum tubing welded on both ends. When sufficiently heated they will grenade just like a LP or other heated cylinder.A little late to tell you now but it's one of many reasons to hang back a little and cool everything off before advancing on modern vehicles. Add in magnesium,and gas cylinders and you can see why CAUTION is warranted. Hope you heal quickly and I'm very happy you were not more seriously injured. T.C.

Forum Member

Remote control nozzles would be so badass.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tanderson624 View Post
    There were a couple of us hanging at the firehouse one evening just joking around haveing a good time just like any other evening. the toans droped a report of a truck fire in the county. well we filled the rescue and the tanker both going opisite ways both being equall in distance due to the fact that control wasnt sure of the exact location. wile enroute we encountered a hill that was covered in ice therefore we threw the chains on the truck so we could safely pass the area. this caused us to be last on scene. all of our guys on R64 were packed up and ready to go. arriving to the scene we found a ull sized rRam 1500 fully envolved. the fuel tank had already vented. E66's crew had already pulled a line and was doing primary attack on the vehicle. i took the nozzle since i was packed up and had my PPE on i was involved in fire supretion activities and between trying to keep the burning fuel running towards the creek out and trying to put the fre that was burning underneith the truck out i was reaching into the driver side fenderwell tring to get the fuel tank as cool as possible all of a sudden a loud explotion and a bright white flash is the last thing i remeber until a few seconds later i remeber being on my knees behind the pickup, from what i was told the fire blewout and surounded myself and the blast knockedme down. they also said the blast was hard enough it knocked items out of other firefighters hand that were out of the hot zone, one of the officers grabed me and and asked me if i was ok and i realized i had completly lost the hearing in my left ear and had a horrible headache. my cheif insisted on having me taken to the hospital and to get checked out. they found that my ear drum was busted and i had a concution from the blast. later i was told that it had appeared to be the driveshaft!?? we were all confused with what everyone saw the drive shaft was in two parts and the ends slit and mushroomed. none of us have ever heard of this happening. dose anyone know what would have made this happen??

http://wowktv.com/story.cfm?func=vie...&storyid=93107
    WTF did you just say?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

just what it says

Forum Member

thanks everyone!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    WTF did you just say?
    "A drive shaft blew the **** up and my eardrum is busted. If anyone knows how the hell this happened or how to avoid this in the future, please tell me."

Not actually in the text, but implied: I need a grammar book. Ship one to me care of my department forthwith.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    "A drive shaft blew the **** up and my eardrum is busted. If anyone knows how the hell this happened or how to avoid this in the future, please tell me."

Not actually in the text, but implied: I need a grammar book. Ship one to me care of my department forthwith.
    thats a BIG Goddamned affirmative !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

With that busted ear drum, you will most likely have some free time on your hands until you get all healed up. Perhaps to pass the time, you could see how you fare in the local spelling bee.
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 01-25-2011 at 08:34 PM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

This is a serious incident that resulted in one of our brothers getting seriously hurt. He did nothing wrong/stupid and a bad set of circumstances literally blew up in his face. It could have happened to any one of you guys. And the only thing you can do is complain about his spelling. WTF is wrong with you guys. Most of you, I would expect better from around here.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    This is a serious incident that resulted in one of our brothers getting seriously hurt. He did nothing wrong/stupid and a bad set of circumstances literally blew up in his face. It could have happened to any one of you guys. And the only thing you can do is complain about his spelling. WTF is wrong with you guys. Most of you, I would expect better from around here.
    More than a few folks will look at that mass of words and just pass it right by. And those folks might be firefighters with knowledge and experience from which we could all benefit.

tanderson624 - White space is your friend. Before you hit "submit," read your post. Out loud. Any time you have to stop and take a breath, it's time to stick in a blank line, thus:

That'll make your posts that much more readable.

Hopefully you'll heal up soon and get back to full duty.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

I hardly think disliking a lack of paragraph spacing is justification for treating an injured brother like crap.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

He must be purified in the waters of Lake Minatonka.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    He must be purified in the waters of Lake Minatonka.
    Ahem, shouldn't that be Lake Winnipesaukee?

Or do you keep the motherland to yourself...

Forum Member

Default fine stooge reference, this is good for a nyuk.

Quote Originally Posted by pipeman_shortname View Post

MembersZone Subscriber

There were a couple of us hanging at the firehouse one evening just joking around having a good time just like any other evening. The tones dropped with a report of a truck fire in the county.

We filled the rescue and the tanker and both went opposite ways both being equal in distance due to the fact that control wasn’t sure of the exact location. While enroute we encountered a hill that was covered in ice therefore we threw the chains on the truck so we could safely go up the hill and continue the response. This caused us to be last on scene. All of our guys on R64 were packed up and ready to go upon our arrival.

We found a full sized Ram 1500 fully involved. The fuel tank had already vented. E66's crew had already pulled a line and was doing primary attack on the vehicle. I took the nozzle since I was packed up and had my PPE on. I was involved in fire suppression activities, trying to keep the burning fuel running towards the creek and trying to put out the fire that was burning underneath the truck.

I was reaching into the driver side fender well trying to get the fuel tank as cool as possible all of a sudden a loud explosion and a bright white flash is the last thing I remember until a few seconds later. I remember being on my knees behind the pickup, and from what I was told the fire blew out and surrounded myself and the blast knocked me down. They also said the blast was hard enough that it knocked items out of other firefighter’s hands that were out of the hot zone.

One of the officers grabbed me and asked me if I was ok and I realized I had completely lost the hearing in my left ear and had a horrible headache. My chief insisted on having me taken to the hospital and to get checked out. They found that my ear drum was busted and I had a concussion from the blast.

Later I was told that it had appeared to be the driveshaft!?? We were all confused but what everyone saw that the drive shaft was in two parts and the ends slit and mushroomed. None of us have ever heard of this happening. Does anyone know what would have made this happen?

I think this is what the OP was trying to say. With that, it sounds like he was doing a great job, but they should be aware that this is certainly possible due to the composition of todays vehicles. I hope he is feeling better and doing ok!

MembersZone Subscriber

Not only in todays vehicles, but also back as long as they have been making hollow drive shafts. First experience with this was in the early 1970's at a garage fire. Detonation in that instance was determined to have been caused by water that entered the drive shaft through a small crack in the weld. Steam pressure rises approximately one psi for every degree above 212 F. Fuel combustion can easily raise the surrounding materials to more than 800 degrees in a short time. Not very hard to reach 600 psi steam pressure. You would have a hard time generating that pressure simply from heated air in the drive shaft since it follows the universal gas law. You would get about 29.4 psi at 390 deg. F and 44 psi at 720 deg. Probably not enough to blow the shaft with heated air.

By the way, excellent translation!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    With that busted ear drum, you will most likely have some free time on your hands until you get all healed up. Perhaps to pass the time, you could see how you fare in the local spelling bee.
    and this is why you are an AZZHOLE.

Forum Member

You just went way up in my book. I used to think you were hypercritical, but have come to understand you better over time. I've taken note especially when you were quick to come to the defense of children in the past. kudos.

Forum Member

Soooooo...

How about those exploding front bumpers?
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    Soooooo...

How about those exploding front bumpers?
    Thank god that time period of bumper manufacturing is over in the car industry. Now we're left with those cars that haven't met the graveyard yet.

Proceed from the side, as someone else pointed out earlier...from the side.
    Last edited by .; 01-26-2011 at 03:18 PM.

Forum Member

It is already tough enough to do this job without dodging missiles...

I'll take a chuck-wagon anytime. You just have to save the horses....

Remember those days Harve?
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pipeman_shortname View Post

I was going for the Purple Rain reference. I guess the 80's passed us by too quickly.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Whether you agree with this presmise or not, basic spelling and grammar are required to be taken seriously in any forum that depends on the written word.

To read something like that, especially when it is someone's first post, got exactly what it deserved.
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 01-26-2011 at 07:00 PM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Thread Information