Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default North Carolina truck hit by car...

On front page of fh.com, shows a short story about a car driving into the back of a North Carolina engine.

http://www.firehouse.com/news/top-he...blocking-scene

When looking at the 4 pictures posted, the last picture shows a fairly good shot from the rear.

Engine has lights on and NFPA striping on the rear. In the picture, it is actually hard to see the striping due to the amount of lighting off the rear of the engine.

Is anyone noticing that on the backs of their engines?

No, I'm not blaming/accusing/etc. Just noticed it in the picture.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Excellent point, Bones. It's one reason I've always encouraged less lights on the back - make them larger, with a slower flash pattern. Not only does this convey (IMO) a better "slow down" message, but it also allows the chevrons to be seen better, if the rig is so equipped.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Perhaps its just me but the light I find the hardest to deal with is the white high scene light shining directly to the rear of the apparatus. I know it isnt always a possiblity but we should be trying to keep the white light from shining on the road to the front or the rear of the vehicle. White light blinds people and obscures anything that is darker than it. Just my opinion.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

I've come to the conclusion that no matter what you do to the back of the rig, some idiot will hit it.
    We have gone from barely nothing as far as rear lights, to rivaling the Jumbotron in Times Square, yet rigs are still getting hit. It's getting to be worse money thrown after bad....
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Does anyone really think the reason rigs get hit is because they cant be seen??? You can make them as visible (and as expensive) as you want, but the distracted/drunk/dumb driver will still hit you. I don't think any committee of superstars issuing unfunded mandates will change anything except the bottom line. Position the rigs to protect the members and cross your fingers...
    Just a typical moronic, childish, idiotic munchkin.

Forum Member

AS whocares stated, visibility isn't the problem, it's the idiots driving and not paying attention or being drunk. If they don't notice a crap load of lights flashing, the chevrons aren't gonna help much.

Forum Member

And I hope everyone wears vests. Jiminy Christmas! everyone tell me you are wearing vests! How could these be left out of the topic! Vests!

Forum Member

Vests are the least of the worries..Lol if they can't see a big red fire truck with flashing lights..You rly think their going to see a bright yellow vest?Lol

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

I'll wear mine and roll the dice, rather than the other way around.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

just got this in my regular email today........it is about 30 mins north of us in Michigan ...
    http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/local_n...g-taxpayers%3F
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    AS whocares stated, visibility isn't the problem, it's the idiots driving and not paying attention or being drunk. If they don't notice a crap load of lights flashing, the chevrons aren't gonna help much.
    Pretty much to the point....all the extra $$$ on lights and chevron painting being possibly wasted?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

On the flatest land around! (In central Il.)

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1 View Post
    just got this in my regular email today........it is about 30 mins north of us in Michigan ...
    I hope the judge humiliates this man right out of the court room.

I hope the judge humiliates this man right out of the court room.
    I hope so. Maybe there are some common sense Judges there, but......
    Unfortunately, in Minnesota, this type of parasite always comes out on top. Even with a history of infractions, the liberal courts always manage to make these types a victim....
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1 View Post
    I can't even begin to imagine that any jury in this fair country would award this idiot any compensation for his stupidity. But then again I've been wrong before!

Wow, just wow. Where to start on that story! He is disabled but he is driving and walking. The way the truck is sitting on an angle there was plenty of room to get around the truck if you were not sliding around a corner. Pickup on slick road the back end has a tendency to lose traction being so light. He was going fast enough where the cop directing traffic from the opposing direction was getting out of the lane prior to the crash. The township needs to sue this idiot for damages to the truck if he is suing for himself being an idiot and blaming it on the firefighter. This stuff justs gets to me. Everyone suing for everything that happens and blaming it all on someone else instead of taking responsibility for being stupid.

Just a quick comment here....I did not start this thread to talk about the driver. I started it to get guys to notice the back of the truck and the lighting situation. Had hoped it would generate some discussion/thought/ideas on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Just a quick comment here....I did not start this thread to talk about the driver. I started it to get guys to notice the back of the truck and the lighting situation. Had hoped it would generate some discussion/thought/ideas on that.
    Bones, if people dont see the flashing lights, reflective tape or the bright scene lights, I'm not sure there is a whole lot more we can do. If there is, I sure cant think of it.

Its been questioned if drivers are being "blinded" by the bright lights. That may be, but common sense would tell you to slow down since you cant see. But I guess for some folks its hard to slow down when yout texting or drunk. How do we solve this? I dont know. Stiffer laws?

To add to this a little more, this is why it is critical to position your apparatus the correct way when on the highway. And sometimes maybe its not a bad idea to have a "blocking" engine or truck on scene either if your on the highway. Just my $0.01.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    I like to keep the lights at the rear offsetting in colors (red/blue upper rotators- blue/red mid level strobes). Seems to be effective so far.
    We only have 4 right now (3 more coming) with the chevrons. I don't care for them. They look like they would be a magnet, rather than a deterrent.

Spot lights are not normally used on the rear of the rig for MVA's on the streets. Too easy to blind on coming vehicles. It also distorts what the drivers see, even if they are spotting the ground.

As for arrow sticks, we don't spec them on the rigs, just med units. Not sure why.

As long as you have a minimum of 4 emergency lights with offsetting colors and heights, there isn't a whole more that can be done to stop the stupidity.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

It is a tough subject to know what is right and what is reasonable. You would think the more lights and colors the more people would take caution, but apparently people either ignore in their rush to get to where they are going or are distracted by whatever else. Some think that the lights can be blinding but that would indicate that these people that are blinded ignore the common sense to slow down. We go with the arrow bar and 2 rotators up high and 2 flashers down low. Not much for reflectors on the back but some departments around have more in that area. Most MVAs we are on there is going to be multiple emergency vehicles and the sheriff officers do a good job of stopping or deverting traffic when needed. I still lean towards minimal lights on the rear and hope they pick up on something red flashing and slow down and not distracted by to many lights or reflectors in their face.

Thread Information