Forum Member

Default What traditional style helmet would you recommend?

I have decided to buy a traditional style helmet, and I'm currently looking at the Cairns 880 Chicago. But would like to here reviews on every kind. So tell me what traditional style helmet you would recommend: paul conway, morning pride, cairns? No leather tho.

Forum Member

I understand buying your own leather --due to the cost difference , but shouldnt your dept. buy your pleather for you ?
    ?

Forum Member

They supply moderns. What traditional would you recommend?

Forum Member

Cairns 1044. Unless you have a real small head, then the 880 may work ok. I wore a 1044 for a few years before I got my N6A and it was the most comfortable plastic helmet I ever wore. Spend the extra money on a deluxe. It is worth it just for the leather liner.

You can get a Morning Pride with NFPA EZ-Flips now though, so if that is something you have to have, look into them.

I wear a size 7 5/8 hat and the Paul Conway in no way shape or form fit my head.

Just my 0.02 worth.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

I loved my cairns 1044 I now have an 880 cause it was the only captians helmet my department had when I was elected captian.... I now have another 1044 on the way..... they are both really comfortable I just don't like the 880 cause it looks like a small hat on a big guy....

Just my opinion

Forum Member

Ben 2 users - how do you like them? I am thinking of picking one up to screw around with...

I currently use an older 5a, which I have worn for the past 17 years...it is perfect..perfect fit..years of "salt"..and just a nice wearing lid..

If I make Lieutenant in a year or two, my department wears yellow for the rank..I would put a white shield on my black NY;er, but they really frown on that...whatever...
    FTM - BTB - KTF

Forum Member

The first thing I did after replacing my 1044 at my career department with an N6A was replace my Ben 2 at my volunteer department with an N6A. I was not a fan of the Ben 2. So far that helmet is the only thing I have owned from MP that I wasn't 100 percent satisfied with.

Wny not just paint your NYer?

For all you two hatters out there, I will warn you: if you get one Sam Houston for one department, you will want another one for the other department. The feel is addicting.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Let's talk fire trucks!

I've gone back-and-forth between N6A's and 1010's, and found that the 1010 is my fave traditional-style helmet in terms of size, weight, and feel.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

I had a 1010 Defender for a week. Great looking helmet and the internal shield is great. But i have a large head and no matter what i did, it dug into the front corners of my forehead. Also, the suspension liner was so close to my head that if i smacked the rear of the helmet, the shell hit my head.

The 1010 is the top of the line Cairns traditional style helmet. If you do go that route, get the internal Defender shield.

Forum Member

I have a 660 right now what would fit most like that?

Forum Member

i have the morning pride ben 2 plus and love it i say this is one of the better ones

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Reynolds View Post
    I have a 660 right now what would fit most like that?
    The fit on traditional style helmets vs modern is typically the same, or close to it. That is mainly because the interior of the helmets are often identical or close to it. Going from a 660 to a 1010 will not be much of a change feel wise, if any. The biggest difference will be a slightly higher center of gravity.

You should really look around for a dealer near you, even if it means driving an hour to try one on before you buy it if you have doubts.

As far as traditional composite helmets go, with Cairns, they offer the 1000, 1010 and 1044 which will all fit and feel the same. That is because all the helmets in the 1000 series line are identical in terms of liners and shell dimensions. The only differences are the 1000 is a Fiberglass/Kevlar composite shell which has a slightly higher NFPA impact rating. The 1010 and 1044 are fiberglass shells. The difference between them is the 1010 is painted in a gloss finish. The 1044 color is the actual color of the fiberglass and is a matte finish. That is why their is a difference in price when you compare versions with similar options.
    All four models are offered in two liner versions, standard or deluxe. The Standard Liner is Flannel lined. the Deluxe Liner is Leather lined. You have your choice of 10 types of earlaps, two type of Tets in 6 colors And you order them with six types of front holders. The traditional "FD" front holder. A Silkscreened Eagle front holder or a "Carved" Eagle are the most popular.

They also do have a lesser known model called the 880. But this is a plastic shell helmet and is smaller in physical size.

It only gets complicated when you get to eye protection. All the 1000 series helmets in any configuration are OSHA approved. But not all versions are NFPA approved. In order for the helmet to be NFPA approved and have the sticker inside stating that, the helmet MUST be built and shipped from the actory with an NFPA approved eye protection device. It CANNOT be added after the fact and be NFPA aproved. With that being said, you MUST order whatever model helmet you want listed above with at least:

1. Goggles (5 types)
    2. 4" Shield (3 types, plus a 6" version)
    3. Internal Defender shield. (In 4 shades)

If it has one of those three items, it will be NFPA approved. Otherwise it will only meet OSHA specs. So beware of a great deal on one of those helmets if it only has Bourkes or it has no eye protection. It will only be OSHA appoved. And on the same note, if you see a great deal on a used one even if it has one of those three types of eye protection, check inside for the NFPA sticker. Many people buy a non NFPA version, then add the required eye protection and then offer it as being NFPA approved which it is not. Ebay is another place to watch out. Many people will take a brand new non NFPA helmet, slap goggles on it then offer it as a "Brand new in the box" helmet leading you to believe it came that way from the factory. Ask to see a picture of the sticker inside the shell.

If the helmet being NFPA approved is not required, then buy whichever version you like.
    Last edited by WD6956; 01-27-2011 at 02:15 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NY911Bowhunter View Post
    Ben 2 users - how do you like them? I am thinking of picking one up to screw around with...

I currently use an older 5a, which I have worn for the past 17 years...it is perfect..perfect fit..years of "salt"..and just a nice wearing lid..

If I make Lieutenant in a year or two, my department wears yellow for the rank..I would put a white shield on my black NY;er, but they really frown on that...whatever...
    Bowhunter,
    I would recommend painting the helmet, scuff with sandpaper and get the right color paint from either the firestore or the local home depot. Paint it and keep your leather. I have had the same leather that has been in this order, yellow, white, black, and back to yellow. I got the leather so I could keep my helmet if and when I change ranks. Plastics dont take paint as well.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

I would buy a new one beore I painted my current helmet...not an option..no way..no how.

I also have a mint 5a in white ready to go..someday...as well as a ton of older NY'ers without impact caps...I am not opposed to wearing one o them or a year or two...
    FTM - BTB - KTF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lewiston2FF View Post
    Bowhunter,
    I would recommend painting the helmet, scuff with sandpaper and get the right color paint from either the firestore or the local home depot. Paint it and keep your leather. I have had the same leather that has been in this order, yellow, white, black, and back to yellow. I got the leather so I could keep my helmet if and when I change ranks. Plastics dont take paint as well.
    I can vouch for the Fire Store paint. I just did my leather with it last week and i was extremely impressed with the results. My paint was not in bad shape as i had not had the helmet too long. So i did not have to strip it down to bare leather. I simply scuffed it with a ScotchBrite pad, then wiped it clean of dust. Two coats of the Top Shot paint the Fire store sells with a decent quality 2" brush allowing 24 hours between coats and at least 24 hours of drying before putting it back into service and your done. Total cost, $30.00 and an hour total labor.

Forum Member

I have painted quite a few helmets before, and while I agree with the prep work..I have never used anything but a quality Rustoleum rattle can...with excellent results I might add..

I am picking up 2 more or my collection this week, and one will need a new paint job for sure..it was painted like a pumpkin for halloween...I will strip it and paint it red, and put a Captain's front on it that should be here tommorow..gotta love eBay!
    FTM - BTB - KTF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    The fit on traditional style helmets vs modern is typically the same, or close to it. That is mainly because the interior of the helmets are often identical or close to it. Going from a 660 to a 1010 will not be much of a change feel wise, if any. The biggest difference will be a slightly higher center of gravity.

You should really look around for a dealer near you, even if it means driving an hour to try one on before you buy it if you have doubts.

As far as traditional composite helmets go, with Cairns, they offer the 1000, 1010 and 1044 which will all fit and feel the same. That is because all the helmets in the 1000 series line are identical in terms of liners and shell dimensions. The only differences are the 1000 is a Fiberglass/Kevlar composite shell which has a slightly higher NFPA impact rating. The 1010 and 1044 are fiberglass shells. The difference between them is the 1010 is painted in a gloss finish. The 1044 color is the actual color of the fiberglass and is a matte finish. That is why their is a difference in price when you compare versions with similar options.
    All three models are offered in two liner versions, standard or deluxe. The Standard Liner is Flannel lined. the Deluxe Liner is Leather lined. And you order them with three types of fron holders. The traditional "FD" front holder. A Silkscreened Eagle front holder or a cast Eagle front holder. They also do have a lesser known model called the 880. But this is a plastic shell helmet and is smaller in physical size.

It only gets complicated when you get to eye protection. All the 1000 series helmets in any configuration are OSHA approved. But not all versions are NFPA approved. In order for the helmet to be NFPA approved and have the sticker inside stating that, the helmet MUST be built and shipped from the actory with an NFPA approved eye protection device. It CANNOT be added after the fact and be NFPA aproved. With that being said, you MUST order whatever model helmet you want listed above with at least:

1. Goggles
    2. 4" Shield
    3. Internal Defender shield.

If it has one of those three items, it will be NFPA approved. Otherwise it will only meet OSHA specs. So beware of a great deal on one of those helmets if it only has Bourkes or it has no eye protection. It will only be OSHA appoved. And on the same note, if you see a great deal on a used one even if it has one of those three types of eye protection, check inside for the NFPA sticker. Many people buy a non NFPA version, then add the required eye protection and then offer it as being NFPA approved which it is not.

If the helmet being NFPA approved is not required, then buy whichever version you like.
    Excellent post! This should be stickied and placed on the front page under "Helmet Purchasing Info". Good job.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Excellent post! This should be stickied and placed on the front page under "Helmet Purchasing Info". Good job.
    Glad i could help. I have one of those OCD issues where i am not happy just knowing the basics about something i am considering buying. I have to go nuts and spend hours searching the internet, talking to dealers and even manufacturers. Before i bought my 1010, i called MSA and spent a good 20 minutes picking the techs brain on info regarding construction and feaures which he happily provided. And if all my time doing the research can help others, i am happy to share it.

EDIT: I added some info to that post for clarity.
    Last edited by WD6956; 01-27-2011 at 02:12 PM.

Forum Member

You could look into the Phenix 1500 TC-1

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Calphenix View Post
    I must say, and no offense - but that helmet just does not appeal to me at all.
    FTM - BTB - KTF

Let's talk fire trucks!

I'd like to check out the TC1 and see how it compares to my TL2 as far as weight, comfort, etc.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Calphenix View Post
    Just a suggestion, in the two pictures of the TC1 on the Phenix site, why not take off the helmet band, wedge and flashlight? You can barley even see the shell. And the picture with the goggles? You cannot see anything but the very top and shield. They mention the helmet has a "commemorative 9-11 filigree design" on the shell. Why not show a picture of it? I think it's safe to say every firefighter out there knows what a LifeLight, Helmet band and door chock look like. So why not keep them off of your sales photos? They are blocking the actual product you are trying to sell.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    Just a suggestion, in the two pictures of the TC1 on the Phenix site, why not take off the helmet band, wedge and flashlight? You can barley even see the shell. And the picture with the goggles? You cannot see anything but the very top and shield. They mention the helmet has a "commemorative 9-11 filigree design" on the shell. Why not show a picture of it? I think it's safe to say every firefighter out there knows what a LifeLight, Helmet band and door chock look like. So why not keep them off of your sales photos? They are blocking the actual product you are trying to sell.
    Thanks for the input I will get on top of that.

Forum Member

LOL...was thinking the same thing - could you post a pic of the 9-11 finial?
    FTM - BTB - KTF

Forum Member

So i just went and looked I have a cairns 360S. What is the closest fitting traditional to that?

Thread Information