Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default London fireman stopping by!

Hi,

I'm a firefighter with the London Fire Brigade. My station does about 1,600 calls a year including calls to other stations grounds, which is pretty quiet for a London station but we do pick up some good house jobs regularly.

Just thought I'd check the site out, and I'm coming to the states in September for the tunnel to towers run, can't wait!!!

Welcome! I'm sure someone here will chime in.....

If you have the time while you are visiting, the NYS Museum in Albany NY has a 9-11 memorial, and will be addiing an additional exhibit in commemoration of the 10th anniversary.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LFB_Fireman View Post
    Hi,

I'm a firefighter with the London Fire Brigade. My station does about 1,600 calls a year including calls to other stations grounds, which is pretty quiet for a London station but we do pick up some good house jobs regularly.
    Welcome.

How are things going over there with the political issues and strike stuff?
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

Thanks Pasobuff, I'll try to but seen as it's my first visit to NY (first to America in fact) my 4 days there is gonna be pretty hectic with things I wanna do but If I dont go I'll be poking my head in to one of the stations to say hello and drop off a few LFB stuff for them if they'll let me in!

Jccrabby: Things got pretty nasty over here with that as you may be aware. Long story short we've sort of come to a compromise over shifts which doesn't suit us or them so nobody is happy!! Thinks it's probably the best we could have got though. I hope I never have to go on strike ever again in my career but think it was for the right reasons (cutting night time fire cover, etc.)

Hello LFB, was a little curious, where in London is your station located? Also, are the recruitment procedures comparable to the ones here is the states? I have always wanted to live across the pond, I was just curious about what it is like serving in the brigade.
    Cheers,
    -John

Forum Member

Hi mate I'm in NW London PM me if you want to know exactly where.

I don't really know what the recruitment process if like over there, here you have to do an application form, written tests, physical tests, interview then medical. The physical tests are stupidly easy, if I can remember them all you climb a 13.5m ladder, take a leg lock, take your hands off and lean back, carry a 50k (I think) dummy round a circuit, piece together a bit of equipment and disassemble it, a blindfolded crawl in BA through a cage, lift some weights above your head and run a circuit carrying certain bits of equipment and run out a few hoses, etc. All the tests have to be complete in a certain amount of time but like I say they're very easy. Training school is 4 months.

The Brigade is pretty busy, I think comparable to the FDNY but a lot smaller (113 stations and 6,000 FFs) our busiest station is Soho, doing about 7,000 calls a year but they do a lot of AFAs and lift rescues. Then again when they catch a job it's normally a really good working one. Outer stations do less calls but more fires (house jobs, derelict buildings etc.) LFB don't attend medical calls either, we're just first aid trained, none of us are paramedic trained.

Apart from shouts we also do quite a bit of community fire safety, fitting smoke alarms, visiting schools etc.

We're in a recession in the UK at the moment though so pretty much all recruitment for fire and police has stopped nation wide. If you want any more info mate give me a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by LFB_Fireman View Post
    Things got pretty nasty over here with that as you may be aware. Long story short we've sort of come to a compromise over shifts which doesn't suit us or them so nobody is happy!!
    That is the definition of a good negotiation... both sides being a little unhappy.

Welcome to the site!
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Default ex-Essex County Lfm in Florida

Hi.
    I've been over here 10 years after leaving UK. I'm sure the guys in NY will be glad to swap shirts etc with you. I've been to a few fire stations here in Orlando and they've always been very helpful. Good luck with the run.
    Cheers
    Paul

(Grays/Tilbury/Brentwood Stns W/W and R/W, IFE grad)

Thread Information