1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default 2 Detroit EMS Employees FIRED!!!

    http://http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/d...-20110126-wpms

    Is it just me or is these EMS workes getting screwed? I dont understand how the Detroit Fire Department can fire them. Where is the Union?

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    pasobuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Loverly upstate NY
    Posts
    1,734

    Default

    link doesn't work....

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber
    tree68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Jefferson County, NY USA
    Posts
    2,292

    Default

    The article answered both your questions.

    Not saying it's right, but the current answers are there.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

    Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    Why did it take 20 minutes for them to get there? Was it no available units and the first was dispatched while the patient was already waiting for 15 minutes? Or were they dispatched and it took 20 minutes for them to get there? There is no mention of the details in the article. So who knows which side is right or wrong.
    Sounds like you must not be on the up and up with the current state of the EMS system in Detroit. Do a little research and you will find that this isn't that uncommon of a thing to happen.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    FIREMECH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    HUSKER LAND
    Posts
    2,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    The article answered both your questions.

    Not saying it's right, but the current answers are there.
    I don't see any mention of the reason for the 20 minute response time.

    I assume dispatches are recorded, so bring it to the table to defend the EMT's and their jobs.

    FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default

    The city of detroit have over 30 of the 60 EMS rigs out of service. They are shorthanded almost 60 medics. These EMS workers are running crazy. They called 911 20 minutes prior to the arrival of the EMS crew. The actual response time after they recieved the call was like 5-6 minutes.

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly1717 View Post
    Where is the Union?
    Probably where they should be. Working on addressing the matter through the proper channels rather than discussing it in the media at this point.

    Contrary to what some may think, every issue does not require public ranting or chest thumping from the Union, especially not at the onset. Most of the time you can make better progress via "private" discussion rather than "public" discussion of the matter.

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    4,249

    Default

    A with any story, there's always two sides and the truth lies somewhere in between. There have been several stories in regards to this incident, it only took me 2 minutes to find another two stories covered by one of the fire bloggers.

    Regardless of what happened on the call and where the actual problem was (there's no real indication that I can find), I can't imagine that Mr. O'Neill helped himself talking about the incident to a reporter that's been all over the City of Detroit and Detroit Fire for the past few months.

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Detroit, MI, USA
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly1717 View Post
    The city of detroit have over 30 of the 60 EMS rigs out of service. They are shorthanded almost 60 medics. These EMS workers are running crazy. They called 911 20 minutes prior to the arrival of the EMS crew. The actual response time after they recieved the call was like 5-6 minutes.
    60 rigs? They only have like 20 rigs tops in service EVER for the whole city and their are probably 10-15 rigs broken down out of service at the repair shop. They are short staffed and cannot put the normal 24 rigs in service due to manpower issues.

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by detroitfire1552 View Post
    60 rigs? They only have like 20 rigs tops in service EVER for the whole city and their are probably 10-15 rigs broken down out of service at the repair shop. They are short staffed and cannot put the normal 24 rigs in service due to manpower issues.

    Hey Brother, there is always some youngster that seems to know more than the members of a department.

    Plus with his 3itching about this he may be just stirring the pot some.


    His first post after joining he is putting down the members and department.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly1717 View Post
    Where is the Union?
    The paramedic at the end of the report who pleads for the mayor to take it out on him instead of the two fired employees is the president of the EMS union.

  13. #13
    FossilMedic

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    metro Washingon DC
    Posts
    526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    A with any story, there's always two sides and the truth lies somewhere in between. There have been several stories in regards to this incident, it only took me 2 minutes to find another two stories covered by one of the fire bloggers.

    Regardless of what happened on the call and where the actual problem was (there's no real indication that I can find), I can't imagine that Mr. O'Neill helped himself talking about the incident to a reporter that's been all over the City of Detroit and Detroit Fire for the past few months.
    You should include the link


    Overloaded system delays ambulance response, dispatcher instructions result in blocked airway, ambulance crew terminated another day in Detroit EMS


    Mike

  14. #14
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    4,249

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Detroit Captain scapegoat for City's cuts
    By gunnyv in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 02-03-2006, 10:03 AM
  2. A rare serious issue from me.........
    By StayBack500FT in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 02:44 AM
  3. Leon County Works on EMS Contract
    By captstanm1 in forum Florida
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-14-2003, 06:38 AM
  4. Fire based EMS - good or bad?
    By retrotex in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-09-2002, 01:26 PM
  5. EMS and the Fire Service: The Impact on the PGFD
    By bostonff in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-21-2001, 09:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register