Forum Member

What departments around the DC/Metro area work 24/72?
    Looking to come up to NOVA from my department (24/48 - Kelly Day every 6th shift), I would like to try and keep something a long those lines.

Pipeman.... how feasible is the possibility to change the DC schedule? I know politicians always try to change things or throw out ideas, but most of them never take ground. I too would love to work a 24/72, if possible.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Deluge059 View Post
    Looking to come up to NOVA from my department (24/48 - Kelly Day every 6th shift), I would like to try and keep something a long those lines.

Pipeman.... how feasible is the possibility to change the DC schedule? I know politicians always try to change things or throw out ideas, but most of them never take ground. I too would love to work a 24/72, if possible.
    I think only DCFD has the 24/72. The NOVA depts either have our schedule, or the run 12's with the vollies running at night. Prince William has a few 24 hour stations.

No one in NOVA has Kellys as far as I know. Only in MD.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deluge059 View Post

Not sure. We have a saying here not to believe anything you hear until 15 minutes AFTER it's happened. Rumors are always going around, especially with a new administration.

Quote Originally Posted by edpmedic View Post
    I think only DCFD has the 24/72. The NOVA depts either have our schedule, or the run 12's with the vollies running at night. Prince William has a few 24 hour stations.

No one in NOVA has Kellys as far as I know. Only in MD.

PGFD has 24/72 as well. In addition to that they also have day shifts.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Hello, I live less than 20 minutes from Fairfax. If your looking for a lot of action then you should get what your looking for in Fairfax. But! Definitely don't pack up your bags and leave for this area without doing a he'll of a lot of research and contacting the station. If you have any questions about the Fairfax area in general feel free to ask but I don't know much about the department. Good luck!
    http://www.novaregion.org/index.aspx?NID=917
    Entry level paramedic $53,887
    Includes life an health insurance.
    25year retirement plan
    Medical benefits
    Sick and vacation leave
    Etc.

Definitely look in to it
    Last edited by VFF16; 02-26-2011 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Forgot some stuff

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know if I mentioned this, but we also have a three year DROP. That's where you "retire," lock in your final defined benefit compensation rate, and then continue to work for up to three years and also get your pension checks put into deferred comp at the same time. It's a great way to add a couple of hundred grand to your deferred comp account.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Forum Member

We have an 8 year DROP, so I know what it entails.
    I have done a lot of research about the area (all of these guys can attest via PMs) and I am actually going to be staying in the area for a week in mid-march, so I plan on checking out some houses if possible and looking at real-estate/rental market and other important things.
    Thanks for the info guys!

Thread Information