Forum Member

Default innotex vs morning pride

We are currently using morning pride and looking to change to innotex does anybody have any suggestions or comments

Thank you

Forum Member

If you can afford to stick with Morning Pride, do so.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    If you can afford to stick with Morning Pride, do so.
    I have yet to see where the big perceived high prices with Morning Pride come from. I just ordered 4 sets of Morning Pride Gold Axe (Nomex/Kevlar) and paid under $1600 for coat, pants and suspenders. That price is either right on par or slightly under many other manufacterers' prices for comparable gear. Not to mention MP gear comes standard with things you would have to pay extra with another mfg. (heat channel knees, name tags on the coats, etc.).

We wore Innotex department wide until this recent order of Morning Pride. I ordered a set that I custom speced under the instructor discount program back in the fall and it is the best fitting and wearing gear I have ever used. Granted, retail on that set was $2200 ($1100 after the discount), but you get what you pay for. I wore Innotex for 4 years before that. It is decent gear and never gave me any issues. One thing I will say for them is that it was great fitting gear. We wear brand G at my paid department and it fits like a baggy pair of parachute pants. Both MP and IT are cut to fit like fire gear should IMO.

There are two things I learned from my experience. A: high pants with a standard coat suck compared to regular pants and a tailed coat. B: Any gear that I have anything to do with specing or purchasing from here on out will be MP.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbreeden View Post
    We are currently using morning pride and looking to change to innotex does anybody have any suggestions or comments

Thank you
    If at all possible stick with Morning Pride. Our dept purchased Innotex on our last gear purchase and 90% of the guys on the dept HATE it.
    it doesnt fit well, has poor protection qualitys in aspect to morning pride. and seems to fall apart and wear very quickly. Im on my second jacket in 5 years and our dept runs approx 360 calls a year. the first one just wore that quickly
    My product review is THUMBS DOWN!

also customer service was very poor when i had to contact them.
    MORNING PRIDE ALL THE WAY.
    Whos says Fire Trucks cant be YELLOW!

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with everyone on here i have used morning pride in every department i have been with and almost every academy ive gone to and have never had an issue with it. also just purchased my personal set due to nfpa 1971 crap about 10 year restrictions and was very pleased with the customer service of MP

Forum Member

If you can afford it I would go with Globe. I wore Morning Pride for 5 or so years at my volley department...and it seemed to always be falling apart. I went through a few pairs of pants and coats. We switched to Globe 2 years ago and it seems to be holding up really well compared to the Morning Pride. Fits really well, easy to move and do any tasks. I am currently wearing Innotex at my FT job and hate it. I was the guinea pig and was the first to get it when I started a year and a half ago. I'm not sure if it was just our depts asking or how Innotex works, but I was measured and the gear was nowhere near proper fit. I was told they just pull whatever is the closest size off the shelf that way there is very little wait period. Some other people have gotten Innotex and have the same opinion about it. That being said, get what you can afford and feels right for your department. I'm not sure how expensive each is, but I definetly perfer my Globe set over the other 2.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LRFFPD View Post
    If you can afford it I would go with Globe. I wore Morning Pride for 5 or so years at my volley department...and it seemed to always be falling apart. I went through a few pairs of pants and coats. We switched to Globe 2 years ago and it seems to be holding up really well compared to the Morning Pride. Fits really well, easy to move and do any tasks. I am currently wearing Innotex at my FT job and hate it. I was the guinea pig and was the first to get it when I started a year and a half ago. I'm not sure if it was just our depts asking or how Innotex works, but I was measured and the gear was nowhere near proper fit. I was told they just pull whatever is the closest size off the shelf that way there is very little wait period. Some other people have gotten Innotex and have the same opinion about it. That being said, get what you can afford and feels right for your department. I'm not sure how expensive each is, but I definetly perfer my Globe set over the other 2.
    Sounds like a dealer issue.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

I was able to demo Innotex for an extended wear test a few years ago. The collar was bulky because it is attached to the inner liner then is folded up and over the outer shell and is snapped in on the outside. This made it stiff and uncomfortable. The gear itself is on the bulky side and is not as ergonomic as Morning Pride, one of the higher-end cuts of Globe or the Lion V-Force. Over the years I have worn and tested Innotex, Globe, Morning Pride, Lion, Veridian, and Fire Dex. I would say that I would rank Innotex along with Veridian at the bottom of the list when it comes to comfort and ergonomics.

As far as any arguments of price, Morning Pride is right in line. My department recently performed a gear selection process and there was a total price difference per set between Morning Pride, Globe Excel, and Lion V-Force was $27. That's not that bad. BTW, we went with Globe.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IronsMan53 View Post
    As far as any arguments of price, Morning Pride is right in line. My department recently performed a gear selection process and there was a total price difference per set between Morning Pride, Globe Excel, and Lion V-Force was $27. That's not that bad. BTW, we went with Globe.
    We had a similar encounter in my department when we ordered new gear 5 years ago. We spec'd gear with 3 brands as close to the same as possible as we could get - Globe G-xtreme, MP & Securitex Ultramotion.

Securitex was the cheapest by about $200 a set, but was clearly also $200 inferior. Globe & MP came in within a few dollars of each other. I think MP was the lower price, but it was also clearly superior overall.

Having recently finished work on the next round of gear, I'll say that Globe has definitely closed some of the gap, but MP is still superior IMO.

I've predominately worn Globe in my career with no issues, but my current set of MP is the best set I've ever had. Can't wait for my new set to arrive.

Forum Member

LRFFPD: who was ur dealer? we had the exact same problem with fitting and were given the same excuse!!!! >
    Whos says Fire Trucks cant be YELLOW!

Forum Member

I don't know who our dealer was, the same guy that came to measure the InnoTex had measured me for my Morning Pride years before. I do know that this same person had made more than a few "measurement errors" with the Morning Pride, as almost every set we got we had to return either pants or coat...most people couldn't bend their knees in their gear. I agree with the bulkiness of the Innotex, that collar annoys the heck out of me.

MembersZone Subscriber

just to add with my earlier statement the volly department that i am on has worn morning pride since the department started in 1980 and our fire cheif still wears his original coat form when he started the department and it still looks amazing now granted we are lucky to brake the 300 calls per year mark but the paid on call dept that i worked for for a while has used it as well and never had an issue i know mp had an issue a few years back with some materials and we had to send alot of gear back for minor repairs but just got new black morning pride gear at my volly dept and after 6 structure fires it has worked out amazingly well
    We walk where the devil dances... FIR NA TINE

MembersZone Subscriber

so just a side note i was talking to our fire cheif yesterday about this and while morning pride did have some issues a while back with quality they have made some drastic improvements our old batch purchased around 2005 was having alot of quality issues where we would have to send one or two sets back to get repaired the newest issue that we purchased hasnt had an issue.
    We walk where the devil dances... FIR NA TINE

Forum Member

Anyone who messes up a measurement form for Morning Pride must be a complete idiot. When I ordered my set, I took the measuring instructions from them to my local uniform store and had them measure me. I sent the numbers to the dealer I was using and my gear fits PERFECT.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sapper937 View Post
    just to add with my earlier statement the volly department that i am on has worn morning pride since the department started in 1980 and our fire cheif still wears his original coat form when he started the department and it still looks amazing now granted we are lucky to brake the 300 calls per year mark but the paid on call dept that i worked for for a while has used it as well and never had an issue i know mp had an issue a few years back with some materials and we had to send alot of gear back for minor repairs but just got new black morning pride gear at my volly dept and after 6 structure fires it has worked out amazingly well
    We have Morning Pride gear still in service that was issued in 1999. Granted, it is on the list for being the first sets replaced in the next round, but not because it is worn out.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

Yeah...Innotex is better than Morning Pride. Morning Pride is way overpriced...way, way over priced.

Forum Member

Morning Pride gear is not better than anyone else's gear. They use the same materials and same hardware. It all has to be NFPA approved - everything all the way down to the thread. So every one who claims Morning Pride is better is saying it to justify paying more. Morning Pride does not give you anything more than any other NFPA gear. Just talk.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbreeden View Post
    we are currently using morning pride and looking to change to innotex does anybody have any suggestions or comments

thank you
    yes..........don't. T.c.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lambert555 View Post
    Morning Pride gear is not better than anyone else's gear. They use the same materials and same hardware. It all has to be NFPA approved - everything all the way down to the thread. So every one who claims Morning Pride is better is saying it to justify paying more. Morning Pride does not give you anything more than any other NFPA gear. Just talk.
    Ummn,How long have you worn gear and how many calls have you done in it? I'm NOT a big MP fan but I couldn't DISAGREE more that there is no difference in gear,material choices being the same. I've worn several of the choices listed and we predominately stay GLOBE. T.C.

Forum Member

It's not so much about the fabrics as it is about how it's put together.

We recently finished a wear test and all the testers had consistent comments about each set of gear, both good and bad. All of the gear had the exact same materials except each manufacturer had different cuts, location of seams, panel size, etc. It was amazing the scoring difference between the highest rated and the lowest rated. (BTW, Morning Pride finished a close second in our wear test.)

Also, Morning Pride's price was in line with Globe and Lion. So are these three well-respected manufacturers overpriced or is Inno-tex overly cheap or poorly made? You will see my comments about Inno-tex after wear testing it in my previous post in this thread.

My personal belief is that good ergonomics is key in reducing heat stress to our firefighters. Materials matter also, but I would rather have a more ergonomic set of gear made with mid-range materials than a poorly designed/restrictive set with high-end materials.

So even though they have the same materials, they are not the same. If you want to buy gear based on price whether it is crappy or not then by all means go for it! At least I don't have to wear it.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

Morning Pride gear is not better than anyone else's gear. They use the same materials and same hardware. It all has to be NFPA approved - everything all the way down to the thread. So every one who claims Morning Pride is better is saying it to justify paying more.
    You are either trying to still the pot or have very little knowledge regarding PPE.

You are mostly correct that all of the manufacturers use the same materials and hardware, however there are a few exceptions to this. For example, Sperian offers a proprietary outer shell call "2F3".

Your claim that MP is "overpriced" may be true, but if it is, they aren't the only brand that is. Six years ago when I was redoing my department's TOG spec for a purchase, we got pricing from three brands (MP, G & Securitex). Each was spec'd as close to identical as possible. We found MP & G to be within a few dollars of each other, however there were features offered by MP that G couldn't match. Securitex was about $100 or so cheaper per set, but their product was clearly inferior to what the other two offered. We selected MP and haven't regretted it.

We just purchased "replacement" sets for these and found similar pricing between MP and G. We selected MP again.

Morning Pride does not give you anything more than any other NFPA gear. Just talk.
    You are wrong again.

MP offers superior upper body thermal enhancements to that of other brands. Typically, additional thermal protection in the shoulder/arms area by other manufacturers is achieved by simply adding another layer of thermal liner material. This does increase the TPP for those areas, but it also decreases the THL.

MP's enhancement "dead air panels" is a manufacturing process that creates pockets of "trapped air" in those areas. This creates an increased TPP for those areas while not negatively affecting the THL. This is a big advantage in terms of managing "heat stress".

If you're not familiar with TPP and THL and why they are important, then you'll want to do some research.

Their knee protection "bi-flex heat channel knees" is superior to anything else on the market (IMO at least). The only thing close in comfort is Globe's new "Silizone" in terms of knee padding, but I'm not sure where they stand in terms of heat protection.

There are others, but I'll stop here.

As IronsMan53 touched on, the design, cut and how it's put together is a significant factor especially if everybody is using the same raw materials.

The 2 sets of MP I've had are by far the best fitting and most comfortable TOG that I've ever worn in my 18 year career. Now, this doesn't mean that everything else is "junk" because some of it is good stuff, just not as good overall IMO and that of many others.

MembersZone Subscriber

Janesville 1586
    Globe 1637
    MP 1633
    These prices came in Feb 2011 for TO grant

I have worn janesville and globe and will get MP in May, I like the custom fit Janesville better. You don't get custom fit/measured with Globe as you do with MP and Janesville. Didn't we got thru all of this about 2 or 3 months ago?
    Last edited by admpaul; 04-11-2011 at 03:05 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by admpaul View Post
    You don't get custom fit/measured with Globe as you do with MP and Janesville.
    Huh. When we bought MP gear the dealer came and measured us, then the gear arrived packed with a measurement sheet with the recipient's name on it.

It fit, too
    "I've met lots of volunteer firefighters, but I've never seen a volunteer fire!"
    - R. MacLeod, Alma VFD

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    You are either trying to still the pot or have very little knowledge regarding PPE.
    Boy they got you where they want you. I have a set of MP. Nothing great.

All those trademarked "features" eliminate competitors from bidding against them. It's all (ok 90%) marketing BS out of the Procter & Gamble or Sara Lee handbook. They did not invent weaving, cutting, and sewing.

MP long time "strategy" of bashing the competition turned me off the them. This does not seem to be as blatent under their new ownership. But there are plenty of other worthy competitors the sew their gear better and don't spend $200/set on advertising and marketing. Their product guide is useful
    but not worth an extra $200/set.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    Boy they got you where they want you. I have a set of MP. Nothing great.
    So are you saying that I'm under some kind of MP mind control?

All those trademarked "features" eliminate competitors from bidding against them.
    Actually, it only does so if the people writing the specs that will be bid on makes it that way. (Which they could also do with any other brand.)

When we did our gear purchase about 6 years ago that I mentioned above, we solicited "bids" from 3 different vendors. Our "bid specs" were not written with specific proprietary items in mind. It was more like a "performance" spec. We tried to match the 3 as best as we could and considered the overall product and price in making the decision.

MP won because they had the best overall product at an acceptable price, not because their patented features eliminated the competition.

It's all (ok 90%) marketing BS out of the Procter & Gamble or Sara Lee handbook. They did not invent weaving, cutting, and sewing.
    Yup, I'm sure it's their marketing that wins them contracts in OTJ evaluations.

MP long time "strategy" of bashing the competition turned me off the them. This does not seem to be as blatent under their new ownership.
    So, a company showing why they believe their product is superior to a competitor's is "bashing"?

But there are plenty of other worthy competitors the sew their gear better and don't spend $200/set on advertising and marketing. Their product guide is useful
    but not worth an extra $200/set.
    Like I said, there are other quality products on the market, but IMO, MP offers an overall superior product.

Could you provide a source for the claim that they spend $200/set on advertising and marketing? I highly doubt that is the case since in my experience (and that of some others on here), their pricing has been in line with other brands. I would think that beating your competition by $200/set would generate more than enough word of mouth discussion that spending on advertising and marketing would be somewhat unnecessary.

Thread Information