Forum Member

Question Too-big turnout gear

In preparation for my Firefighter I class starting next month, my volunteer company has provided me with turnout gear, and I have a couple of questions.

The pants fit fine but are old. The guy that gave them to me thought they might be too old, but to be honest, I don't know how he could tell because there is no date on the inside, at least not that I can see. The date line on the label appears blank. But they tell me that the instructors where I'll be going to class don't particularly care if the gear is out of date or not, so whatever.

My bigger concern is the coat. The coat is too big for me. It's a size 62, and I normally where a 48 or 50. It hangs very loose on me, and if I grab the front I can pull it a good half-foot or more away from my body.

Is this a problem? Is it good enough for training? Should I try to be more insistent about getting a coat that fits better?
    -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Forum Member

Not thinking you are going to ENJOY Rookie school in ill fitting gear. HERE,it isn't even allowed. I'd try to get a coat closer to the proper size if at all possible. T.C.

Forum Member

That's funny, I thought you said the coat they gave you was a 62.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Is this not something you should talk to one of your officers about ?
    ?

Forum Member

A few sizes too big is manageable. But if your a 50 and you have a 62 coat, that will be an issue. I am a 52 chest and but can wear a 54 with no issues. I tried a 56, manageable, but not fun. I cannot imagine anything bigger.

Forum Member

Maybe take it by th academy and see what they say about it

But yes you need stuff that fits

You might see if there are any nfpa labels in them

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Not thinking you are going to ENJOY Rookie school in ill fitting gear. HERE,it isn't even allowed. I'd try to get a coat closer to the proper size if at all possible. T.C.
    OK, thanks, I'll see what I can do. To be honest I think everyone was just relieved to finally find something I could actually get into at all. Admittedly, I'm a big guy, as my normal chest size of 48-50 indicates. All the other coats they found were too small, and this was the first one that I could actually get in to. So we didn't really check to see if it actually fit well. But I'll see if there's anything else, or if there are any other options available...

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    That's funny, I thought you said the coat they gave you was a 62.
    I...did...

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Is this not something you should talk to one of your officers about ?
    I now am going to, based on what Rescue101 said. When I actually got it, I didn't notice that it didn't fit me well; I think we were all just happy to find something I could get into at all. But now that I have the stuff at home and have been practicing donning and doffing, I've noticed how poorly it fits me, so I thought I would ask about it here first. Mainly because I'm at home right now and not at the firehouse and just wanted to find out ASAP if this was an issue worth bringing up to the officers at all.

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Maybe take it by th academy and see what they say about it

But yes you need stuff that fits

You might see if there are any nfpa labels in them
    It's a Morning Pride manufactured in 2005, and the label says NFPA 1971, 2000 edition.

I'm definitely going to bring this up to the officers at my station. If they say it's the only thing available to me, it will be interesting to see what the instructors say. That's a good idea, thanks for that. I'll try to find out who they are and discuss it with them if I need to. But I think the officer will try to work with me; he did say something about seeing if any other stations had any coats available, before he found this one. So maybe we're going to have to go that route after all...

Forum Member

Default Just sayin

Size matters.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JJR512 View Post
    In preparation for my Firefighter I class starting next month, my volunteer company has provided me with turnout gear, and I have a couple of questions.

The pants fit fine but are old. The guy that gave them to me thought they might be too old, but to be honest, I don't know how he could tell because there is no date on the inside, at least not that I can see. The date line on the label appears blank. But they tell me that the instructors where I'll be going to class don't particularly care if the gear is out of date or not, so whatever.

My bigger concern is the coat. The coat is too big for me. It's a size 62, and I normally where a 48 or 50. It hangs very loose on me, and if I grab the front I can pull it a good half-foot or more away from my body.

Is this a problem? Is it good enough for training? Should I try to be more insistent about getting a coat that fits better?
    Welcome to world of Vollie Firefighting! Just lift some weights to make your chest, back and shoulders bigger, then the coat will fit.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

I started school 9 years ago with gear Manufactured in 1986. I got new gear in 2010. The department has purchased 4 new trucks in that time. Priorities.

Forum Member

That wouldn't fly here. As cheap as some gear can be had these days, there is no reason to be issued gear that doesn't even remotely fit.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Your coat is far too big. Put it on and try on an SCBA, especially the waist straps. You'll probably find it difficult to buckle it up with all that extra material wadding up, not to mention the space around your torso can build up hot air when in an IDLH atmosphere, greatly depleting your stamina. There are snag hazards to consider as well.
    How big is the collar? Does it seal tightly around your neck? Or is the velcro used up?
    All things for you to consider.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Check neighboring departments to see if they will let you borrow

Also you can rent equipment

What are they ging to do once you get out of the academy and start riding out????

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    What are they ging to do once you get out of the academy and start riding out????
    I don't know. When I first became a member they explained they have this six-month "trial" period during which new members aren't actually issued anything other than a t-shirt, although they will provide gear necessary for classes. I was told the reason for this is they want to see if new members are serious about participating, and they don't want to spend all the money on new gear for people that aren't going to last.

But I know some members who even after their trial period was up were still using whatever old hand-me-downs they started out with.

My trial period is actually up two days before the FF1 class starts. I don't know what's supposed to happen. Personally, I can't say I blame them for not wanting to buy new gear for new members, or even for someone who is out of the trial period but still in class; I mean, why buy gear for someone if they don't even know if the person is going to actually pass the class, if there's older gear lying around that will suffice? Of course, the problem for me is that it doesn't really suffice, not being the right size. So I'll just have to see what can be done about it. As you said, I suspect my station will need to end up getting something from another company; either that, or they'll have to order new gear for me, and I'll be stuck with the old stuff until then.

How long does it take to actually get new gear, anyway? The newest stuff I've seen around the station is Globe Xtreme. I don't know if every set is made to order or if there are distributors with stock on hand or what.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JJR512 View Post

How long does it take to actually get new gear, anyway? The newest stuff I've seen around the station is Globe Xtreme. I don't know if every set is made to order or if there are distributors with stock on hand or what.
    Just specifically as far as Globe, they have stock models (you have some options, but not many) that you can get within 2-3 weeks. As far as full custom, mine took 7.5 weeks... I was rather impressed!

Forum Member

Morning Pride has a 3 week ship time program on custom fitted gear. You can't modify the gear other than measurements and sown on names, but for that quick of a delivery it is worth it.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

just remember that depending on the date of the pants you may not be able to wear them at all and just personnaly if it didnt have a tag on it at all i wouldnt even consider wearing it
    We walk where the devil dances... FIR NA TINE

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sapper937 View Post
    just remember that depending on the date of the pants you may not be able to wear them at all and just personnaly if it didnt have a tag on it at all i wouldnt even consider wearing it
    The pants have a tag, the "DO NOT REMOVE" type warning label. The manufacturer is Janesville. At the bottom of this tag are lines to write "NAME", "SIZE", "DATE", and "ORDER #" with a pen.

The order number is very faint; if I struggle, I could probably make out most of the numbers. I can tell there used to be writing on the size line but cannot make it out. On the name line, it looks like there may have once been writing, but that's closer to a guess, honestly. As for the date line, it actually looks like there was never anything written there at all.

There are also sections for thermal layer fabric and moisture barrier fabric, each section having a list of different fabrics with a check box. I cannot tell if any of the boxes were ever checked.

I've just noticed that at the very bottom of the label, in the lower left corner it says "MADE IN U.S.A." and in the bottom right corner it says "8/95". If that "8/95" is the date of manufacture...

The guy that actually issued it to me told me that at the Howard County training center, where he recently went through Firefighter I, they will inspect the gear and they gave some people a "hard time" about the date, but didn't actually force any old gear to be replaced as long as it appeared intact and serviceable. He did say that some other counties in MD are more strict about dates.

I do not see any kind of NFPA certification notice anywhere in the pants.
    Last edited by JJR512; 01-30-2011 at 10:28 PM.

Forum Member

I know the safety xperts will bash me, but as long as they dont have major damage, why should the date matter for rooky school ? I went through the flashover can years back with old cotton duck. Right next to new nomex and PBI - cant say it made any difference at training temps.
    ?

Forum Member

As long as the instructors don't have a problem with it, the age is fine with me.

MembersZone Subscriber

im currently attending a ff1 school in my area to receive my national level cert and was told that my current gear being just over the new 10 year mark is unusable in the brn tower due to the fact that it cannot be certified anymore due to nfpa standards and heaven forbid if something drastic were to happen and nfpa or one of their investigators looked at it they would notice that the gear is over that 10 year mark and it could cause major headache...

personally i just got myself a new set of gear for the course
    We walk where the devil dances... FIR NA TINE

Thread Information