Forum Member

Default Thinking about getting a second degree? Help

Hey whats up everyone. I am currently getting a fire/emt associates degree at a community college and was thinking about also getting a nursing degree at a university. Im just wondering is this a good idea. I heard alot of firefighters work second jobs so im thinking about working as a nurse when im off duty. Does this sound like a good idea or should i just stick with the fire degree? Thanks for any advice.

Forum Member

Very great idea

Good second job

Good fall back

More then likely better pay then fd

Also suggest at some point get four year degree in nursing

FossilMedic

Nurses never lack for work.

Good choice.

Mike

MembersZone Subscriber

Great idea. I'm looking to do the same. Per diem nurses make a higher hourly than full timers, since they don't cost anything for fringe benefits.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Forum Member

Absolutely a great idea. Think about your future. You never know what could happen that would cause you to no longer work in the fire service. Having a fall back is a great decision for both you and your family.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

Forum Member

I guess the question to ask is WHY?
    Are you planning to get hired as a firefighter? What about becomming a Paramedic? If you are going to spend a great deal of time and effort, why not spend it on helping you get hired on the fire department?
    A nursing degree does not do much in the way of helping you get hired.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

The reason why i was thinking about doing that is because when i did a job shadowing at a department and when i was in my schools academy they were talking about how most of them have a second job such as working in the hospital as a nurse or teaching or plenty of other stuff. I am planning on getting my paramedic too. I just wanted to know if it was a good idea to get a nursing degree because if most firefighters have a second job i would like a second job that would pay somewhat decent on top of being employed at a department. I also thought since it can taka a great deal of time to get hired onto a department in michigan i might be able to find a job at a hospital and be able to support myself until i am able to get hired onto a department. Thats just what i was thinking when i put up this post. Thats why i was asking people on here cause they would have more insight on what is a good idea than i would

Forum Member

Great thinking

You are going to go places!!!

Forum Member

I certainly understand the value of education. I have a bachelors and a masters. I prefer to hire candidates who have a combination of education and practical experience.
    I would encourage you to complete a basic fire academy, become an EMT, get some volunteer firefighter and EMT experience while going to school. This would help you get hired on the fire department. This would be my primary concern.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

D-

I hold great regard for higher ed, but there are some very big things you need to consider on this or you're going to be making a huge mistake. I just posted an article about this on my blog...Hint: Focus on what your first goal is and what you want the most out of your life right now.

Check out the article here: http://www.gethiredbyfire.com/?p=169

Hope this helps.

PaulC.
    PaulC
    FF/EMTP
    City of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue
    gethiredbyfire.com & The Fire Jobs App

Forum Member

Just another thought, two guys I work with have nursing degrees. Its a pretty nice paycheck for a part time job.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

Forum Member

Go for it. Most dept don't care what your degree is in. It just shows you can complete a training program and be dedicated.

Forum Member

A second career is an excellent idea, especially given the kind of job market we’re facing. You will always have something to fall back on in case your main firefighting job does not work out for some reason. That said, having two jobs will demand a lot out of you, so you should be absolutely sure you’re up for the challenge. If you have made up your mind about nursing, then an Associate degree in Nursing will provide you a strong platform to establish your career.

Thread Information