Forum Member

Default Michigan fire pay scale

Hi guys my name is Corey and right now I live in NJ but have a job offer in Novi michigan and I was interested in becoming a firefighter in Michigan but wasn't sure if they were hiring or what the pay was. I tried getting jobs in NJ but most paid fire departments are laying off right now and I'm in a volunteer dept. If anyone can help me that would be great thanks.

Forum Member

Hi Corey,

The job market is tough around here. You're competing against people who put themselves through the academy, Paramedic School and a lot of them have college degrees. It could take several years before you get a job offer even if you're pretty high on the list. Starting pay is usually around $30K. It varies by city.

On a good note, lots of good POC departments in Oakland County. You can keep your experience and training up while you're waiting for the dream job.

Joe

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMZ191 View Post
    Hi Corey,

The job market is tough around here. You're competing against people who put themselves through the academy, Paramedic School and a lot of them have college degrees. It could take several years before you get a job offer even if you're pretty high on the list. Starting pay is usually around $30K. It varies by city.

On a good note, lots of good POC departments in Oakland County. You can keep your experience and training up while you're waiting for the dream job.

Joe
    Hey thanks yea I got offered a job working with my friend his dad opened up a shop converting gas cars to run on propan. But iv always wanted to be a fire fighter and there's nothing in Nj I took the test so we will see what happens it's good for three years. Do u know if you have to be an EMT to be a firefighter? Right now I'm on a first aid squad here in jersey about to go to school for my emt

Forum Member

EMT is a bare minmum. Alot of the departments require Paramedic. If NJ isn't a National Registry state, you may have to retake the course in Michigan. Reciprocity is iffy depending on what state your coming from.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Forestfirefighter87 View Post
    Hi guys my name is Corey and right now I live in NJ but have a job offer in Novi michigan and I was interested in becoming a firefighter in Michigan but wasn't sure if they were hiring or what the pay was. I tried getting jobs in NJ but most paid fire departments are laying off right now and I'm in a volunteer dept. If anyone can help me that would be great thanks.
    Clarify a couple things..
    Is your job offer in Novi on a Dept, or in another field? Guessing that since you are asking it is in another field, or they would have told you about that stuff when they offered your the job, or you had an idea when you applied.

Assuming it is in another field, and you are wanting to be a part/paid on call Department... the range is huge. When I started on my current Dept, it was 8.00 hr/call. I'm up to 13.75 hr/call.
    A neighboring dept, which runs about 1/2 the calls we do starts their guys at 20.xx hr/call. A previous dept that I was on started you at 15.25 hr/call.

With Novi being on the other side of the state, I have no idea. Everybody sets things up different. The eastern side of the state is known, over here anyways, to do things their own interesting way. There is a very heavy union influence on that side of the state, being in the heart of the automotive industry, which can really throw a wrench into logical thinking sometimes.
    Like said above, my 1st dept it took me 3 years to get on, and the dept I am on now took 2 years. In that same thought, I know a lot of people that with a combination of right place, right time, right connections, they get hired before the ink is dry on the application.
    Last edited by MonkeyBiz; 02-10-2011 at 01:38 AM.

Forum Member

Novi has career day personnel with POC at night. Plenty of other POC depts in the area. Career positions are being eliminated throughout the state via layoffs and attrition. Very few depts are going to hire any time soon, and those few positions will face competition from all those who have been laid off, not to mention that the local fire academies have not slowed production at all.

MI has limited reciprocity for fire certs. A dept has to sponsor you to challenge the FF II/II tests, and to pay for it yourself is $1450. Check here:

http://www.michigan.gov/dleg/0,1607,...8188--,00.html

They should accept National Registry EMT, but may make you take the test.

BTW, hi JoeMZ, haven't seen you in a while, give me a yell sometime.

Forum Member

Forrest, If you can affort it, you might look into Grand Rapids Fire dept.. They have a self sponsor academy. It is pricey at about 4,100.00, but might go a long way towards getting on in Michigan.

Although you may have ff1 and 2, this gives that, plus other certs and exposes you to contacts that could be priceless. Good luck. the academy is explained on their website. I belive a new class will start in a month or two.

Forum Member

Another thought. If you are interested in the Detroit fire Dept.. Go to the city website, for a few more days they are taking apps for refuse packer operator (garbageman).

Latley the city has been filling fire vacancies thru internal bid/appl. San men are favored because it is assumed they have stayed in shape, and mostly because they get to know the city well.

I would think they will be filling quite a few vacancies. If you can rent a place in say corktown or midtown (be a resident), and work the san job awhile, I'd say you'd be golden.

the big question is how long? Detroit city government is like a cross between Monty Pythons flying circus, and North Korea's dictatorship. Scary, funny, sad, and always full of crazy sh*t, and many surprises. My money says this route could get a heads up likable guy in in less than 2 years. But that is still a guess. Best of luck.

Thread Information