Forum Member

Default How do you carry your glasses

I was wondering how people carry their prescription glasses in your turnout gear. I use a standard clam shell type glass case and was wondering if anyone had other ideas. I ask because switching between my glasses and mask gets to be a pain after awhile having to always go into my pocket. And I always need to switch cause I'm blind as a bat. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by happyvalleyff View Post
    I was wondering how people carry their prescription glasses in your turnout gear. I use a standard clam shell type glass case and was wondering if anyone had other ideas. I ask because switching between my glasses and mask gets to be a pain after awhile having to always go into my pocket. And I always need to switch cause I'm blind as a bat. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I wore my necessary prescription eye glasses, until I knew we had a job and just prior of exiting the front seat, they went into a eye glasses pocket with they came in and was left on the dash. I never put them in my turnout coat.

If it was going to be where I didn't need a breather, they stay where they belong, on me.

Leave them on the apparatus.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

If I pack up usually just leave them in the rig or in my car what ever I happen to be in

Forum Member

Like Oldtimer said, leave them in the truck. No good can come from taking them with you in your gear.

If you're that blind, leave your mask on, without air, until you get back to the rig you left them on.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

I've been using the WITZ Lens Locker for the last 14 years. I keep them in my turnout gear. I also wear a cheaper pair of glasses while on duty. The case shows 14 years of wear and has been dropped interior more than a few times. Toss some reflective stickers on it and no problem.

Forum Member

My new spectacle kit can be worn as glasses when not in my facepiece. When I'm donning my turnout, I pop 'em on.
    "I've met lots of volunteer firefighters, but I've never seen a volunteer fire!"
    - R. MacLeod, Alma VFD

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Well........

I waer mine, as the inventor intended, all the time.............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Default Leave them where they are safe

I always leave my glasses in the cab of the truck where they wont get crushed or i leave them in my car when i know for a fact that i will definitely have to be going on air otherwise i keep them on me and if need be take them off and put them in my jacket pocket. I have seen masks that have glasses built into them, in my opinion i don't see huge value in them for firefighting but for haz-mat i think its a good idea to use. you might also be able to use sport prescription goggles under your mask depending on your mask size etc. Always remember to keep track of your spec's and it may be a good idea to keep a 2nd pair in your car or at the firehouse.

Forum Member

LASIK, the best money I've ever spent...

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by Big13House View Post
    LASIK, the best money I've ever spent...
    Amen, only dweebs wear glasses...

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

I once had the same idea as you did, bought a stainless steel case for my glasses. Thought it was PERFECT to keep my glasses in and it fit right inside my bunker coats inside pocket. It was the best idea in the world...Until the night we were going to a fire, I was on Engine 1 which was at the time a 74' Pemfab/Middlesex open rear cab truck.

Hit one good bump, that awesome glasses case that was in my hand flew out and skipped across the road and out of sight. Never saw it again....God I miss that old truck.

Lesson learned? Just keep the damn things on the truck, or if I need to take em off on scene. I pawn em off on the Chief and leave em in his command truck.
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DubyaVFF View Post
    My new spectacle kit can be worn as glasses when not in my facepiece. When I'm donning my turnout, I pop 'em on.
    What does it use in place of temple pieces? (Or do you take the temple pieces off before putting them in your mask?)
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

I usually place my glasses in the compartment, that I take the SCBA out of. If I take the SCBA out of a case, I set them in the case.

Not being able to see without glasses, has helped me with search and rescue training. Since I am blind as a bat without my glasses, I rely more on touch, than sight, when conducting searches. Since searching is often conducted in the dark and smoke, my sense of touch would need to be used anyway.

Forum Member

After several years I found a reinforced glasses case has a nomex cover and is hard shelled zips closed so I wouldnt have to warry about it popping open. After several more yrs I have now gone to a aproved type of hard lensed contacts that are 24 hr wear. I luv em. The draw back is that by reg I had to have been wearing them for 6 mo. befor wearing them in SCBA. So it was a lil tedious at first but now I put them in when I hit the fire house an then dont realy have to bother with em till I am done with shift. Still cary my glasses in my gear as a just in case thing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    What does it use in place of temple pieces? (Or do you take the temple pieces off before putting them in your mask?)
    It has a headstrap which can be removed, although I find it tucks into the facepiece nicely.

Mine's sold by the SCBA manufacturer (Sperian), but it's similar to this one:
    http://www.911se.com/p-2935-complete...tacle-kit.aspx
    "I've met lots of volunteer firefighters, but I've never seen a volunteer fire!"
    - R. MacLeod, Alma VFD

Forum Member

My dilemma is what to do with them when initially assigned to exterior truck work and then going interior when my job is complete. I like having them on when I'm throwing ladders and venting, and usually end up stashing them in a pocket if I have to put my mask on.

Forum Member

RescueThree2 described better what I was thinking about. If I am riding the truck and get assigned ladder duties and then go interior i place my glasses in my case in my pocket, but it gets to be a hassle if you do this two or three times and was wondering if there was any better ideas out there.

Forum Member

You should be able to operate on the scene, without glasses being worn.

If you can't, then you have terrible eye sight. Throwing ladders, opening up, venting and other truck work, really doesn't hinder you if you aren't wearing glasses.

I've seen truck guys never put a breather on and do all the work as prescribed, exterior as well as the interior. All this preformed without glasses on.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post

If you can't, then you have terrible eye sight.
    Well, yeah, I do. That's why I wear glasses

There's a long way from able to operate, to able to operate well when you're seriously nearsighted. With the current kit I don't have to worry - pop 'em in the facepiece when I need it, on my face when I'm bareface. No sweat. With the old one I'd hand my specs off at rehab before donning.

I believe the expression that applies is something about dancing with the one what brung ya
    - R. MacLeod, Alma VFD

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by RescueThree2 View Post
    My dilemma is what to do with them when initially assigned to exterior truck work and then going interior when my job is complete. I like having them on when I'm throwing ladders and venting, and usually end up stashing them in a pocket if I have to put my mask on.
    Get a rugged set of specs like they issue in the military and keep em just for firefighting.

A tough set of plastic frames will take a lot of abuse. Of course, you will also for wearing them... but you'll be able to see.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Early Adopter

I can operate... but not 100%. Who wants to be less than 100%?

If you can't, then you have terrible eye sight.
    That's me. I have terrible eyesight.

I keep a hard case in my bunker pockets for my glasses. If the mask goes on, the glasses go in the pocket. This doesn't add very much time to the masking-up process. As a general rule, the mask doesn't go on until I absolutely need it. It won't come off again until I'm sure I'll be working without it for a while. I've never had much reason to take a mask off and on a whole lot during a fire.

I used to keep my glasses on the rig... But apparatus that aren't tied to a plug can get relocated. Sometimes you have to exit a structure from a different place than you entered it. As blind as I am, I like having my glasses on my person.

Forum Member

I have a Witz Lens Locker also. They are very rugged, foam-lined, watertight and have a clip that can be used to clip it on your gear. I put the case in my bunker pocket and when the time comes, I stow my glasses in it, and either keep it in my pocket or leave it on the rig. But before I got the case, I had two pairs of glasses broken by leaving them unprotected on the rig.

Thread Information