Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Class 3 ARFF Vehicle

Anyone have experience with operating a Class 3 ARFF apparatus?

We are looking at one for its multi-use capabilities: ARFF, use as a back up pumper, severe weather response, and wildland. I realize that a universal fit-all loses some of its specialization, but it is difficult to justify funding for a dedicated ARFF truck that runs so few calls per year.

I try to refrain from mentioning brand names, but this something along the lines of what I'm speaking of:

http://www.rosenbaueramerica.com/app...rff///airwolf/

C6

Forum Member

I'd be looking into getting a commercial cab 4x4 engine with: 1,000GPM PTO pump, class B foam system (say 100 gallons), and a bumper turret...Have you seen Howard County's "crash trucks on wheels"?
    Last edited by FR911; 01-31-2011 at 10:46 PM.

We run a very similar unit and I've sold one specifically for use at an airport as well as structural duties. Shoot me a message if you have specific questions.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

The Mount Horeb Wisconsin Fire Department run a former military Amertek CFR/Structural rig. You might try contacting them for information on how they utilize it. Just Google FDMH.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    The Mount Horeb Wisconsin Fire Department run a former military Amertek CFR/Structural rig. You might try contacting them for information on how they utilize it. Just Google FDMH.
    Ask them how they use it, but you DON'T WANT an Amertek MACI......How do you say "piece of schit" in Canadian?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Ask them how they use it, but you DON'T WANT an Amertek MACI......How do you say "piece of schit" in Canadian?
    I don't know about that, but I do know they have had the Amertek for several years and they are still using it. I know they had some work done to it by Custom Fire. I do know they disconnected the automatic throttle up when you put it in crash mode, had it repainted, and had additional warning devices installed.

I believe the intended use of it was as a heavy brush truck, and as a offroad mobility pumper for rural fires. If you look at the other engines on the FDMH roster they are definitely NOT going offroad because of their massive size and weight.
    Maybe it's not too late

Amertek MACI's are the biggest pieces of schit I have ever had the displeasure of driving/operating. Constantly breaking, next near impossible to repair (have to disassemble this to repair that, etc.) complicated linkages, rough riding, a mile to turn, top heavy......the list goes on.....The MACI's are followed secondly by the Amertek ARFF unit that was supposed to be the equal to an Oshkosh P-19.

The only thing that could properly and efficiently refurbish an Amertek MACI is to push it off a high cliff.

Amertek MACI's are the biggest pieces of schit I have ever had the displeasure of driving/operating. Constantly breaking, next near impossible to repair (have to disassemble this to repair that, etc.) complicated linkages, rough riding, a mile to turn, top heavy......the list goes on.....The MACI's are followed secondly by the Amertek ARFF unit that was supposed to be the equal to an Oshkosh P-19.

The only thing that could properly and efficiently refurbish an Amertek MACI is to push it off a high cliff.

And all I can say is my experience with Amerteks is driving Mount Horeb's during a drill and while I wasn't thrashing it I had no problems with it. I have to say being a former WiANG civilian CFR guy it was weird putting it in crash mode and then having to control the pump pressure by putting the truck in neutral to throttle up the pump. But that is how they had it modified.

I also understand that you had bad experiences with the Amerteks you operated, and I won't argue that with you. Apparently however the one that Mount Horeb has seems to work for them. At least well enough that they haven't gotten rid of it yet. So obviously their opinion is different than yours...kind of like the Pierce vs Seagrave vs Sutphen vs E-One vs Rosenbauer vs HME vs Crimson vs (Insert favorite brand here) debates that never seem to end here.

me I have no dog in this fight I just posted information about a piece of apparatus and a FD that I know utilizes one.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fwdbuff View Post
    ask them how they use it, but you don't want an amertek maci......how do you say "piece of schit" in canadian?
    a-m-e-r-t-e-k ???

Quote Originally Posted by Command6 View Post
    a-m-e-r-t-e-k ???
    Either that or T-h-i-b-a-u-l-t

Either that or T-h-i-b-a-u-l-t
    Hm, so a company with 100 years of manufacturing fire trucks builds junk?

I thought only GM could build junk for so many years and still convince people to buy their products.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 02-01-2011 at 06:26 PM.
    Maybe it's not too late

I thought only GM could build junk for so many years and still convince people to buy their products.
    FUNNY you mention that. They're STILL doing it. T.c.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think most of the new GM vehicles are pretty nice. But they are so over priced, can't afford to buy one.

They're ALL Junk. $50K, beer can bodies and PLASTIC. ELECTRONIC 4wd(NOT on MINE).WTF? Give me the QUALITY of a 50's pickup,60 years old,you CAN still get parts and ACTUALLY find enough metal to weld to. T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Command6 View Post
    Anyone have experience with operating a Class 3 ARFF apparatus?

We are looking at one for its multi-use capabilities: ARFF, use as a back up pumper, severe weather response, and wildland. I realize that a universal fit-all loses some of its specialization, but it is difficult to justify funding for a dedicated ARFF truck that runs so few calls per year.

C6
    Can't help you with what you're asking for specifically, but, I might be able to help with a different approach.

Not sure if you need the Dry Chem capabilities or not. I'm going with no for now.

Our Dept. wanted a dedicated Class B foam rig for major incidents. I took an older reserve Smeal 1,500gpm pump (1,000g tank) and re-piped it so that it would have 3 deck gun discharges off the same manifold (5" square), mated to both pump discharges with 4" piping. Each deck gun discharge has an eductor for pulling the foam, and carries 30 5g jugs of Class B foam. Hose is loaded with 300' of 1 3/4 through a ball valve if needed.

I have a "before" pic (test with normal nozzles), as in before they installed the foam nozzles (don't know what kind they are). But with all three flowing foam with the foam nozzles, it was really a sight to behold.

Not sure if this fits what you are looking for, but maybe an idea.

FM1
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Nice piece of plumbing work there.

Pump-and-roll will be a must, and at this point we are going with a "Yes" on the dry agent.

C6

Thread Information