Thread: Glove Corp

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Glove Corp

So I get a call today from my distributor for Blazefighter Gloves (new glove of the FDNY). I have an outstanding order of 75 pair and have been awaiting delivery. Today I find out that the company went out of business. Anyone got any light to shed on the situation?

Forum Member

Who and out of business? The glove co or distributor?

Btw, the blaze fighter glove....is no good. Since going to the we have had a big jump in buns to the hands. The burns are where the yellow parts of the glove are. You are giving up thermal protection for a little dexterity....there are far better gloves out there that give you both.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RTFDRED View Post
    So I get a call today from my distributor for Blazefighter Gloves (new glove of the FDNY). I have an outstanding order of 75 pair and have been awaiting delivery. Today I find out that the company went out of business. Anyone got any light to shed on the situation?
    Have no idea. Have you paid?? Getting dark here.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB View Post

Btw, the blaze fighter glove....is no good. Since going to the we have had a big jump in buns to the hands.
    I can't see how that is a bad thing.
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    I can't see how that is a bad thing.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

it brings up several different pictures. All good.
    ?

Forum Member

Hey folks, there is a safety notice about these gloves that just came out:

https://www.rkb.us/safety_noticedeta...idesubtype=999
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Talking

Another fool buying something because FDNY does it.
    Hope you didn't pay for them

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    I dont even want half the sh*t they give me.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Just found out from a few guys that the company that make the Blaze Fighter glove....did in-fact go out of business....lol....glad we went with those POS gloves...gotta love the lowest bidder.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB View Post
    Just found out from a few guys that the company that make the Blaze Fighter glove....did in-fact go out of business....lol....glad we went with those POS gloves...gotta love the lowest bidder.
    awesome. glad I have about 12 pairs of the oven mitts in my locker.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    I dont even want half the sh*t they give me.
    They do give you guys good turnouts though.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    They do give you guys good turnouts though.
    At the risk of ****ing Ray off .....no they dont.

Forum Member

you cant say p*ss? are you kidding me?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Actually, we were looking at these gloves before FDNY announced they were going to them. We ran our own field tests and the guys loved them. Even I utilized them at the academy that I instruct at, and was happy with their performance. Believe me, I have no want or need to be the 6th boro...

MembersZone Subscriber

you cant say p*ss? are you kidding me?
    You can't? Pi ss. Works for me.

Forum Member

I put in a call to the glove corp and spoke with someone from the office, they have laid off the entire manufacturing staff and are no longer producting any further.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think the "producting" schedule was covered with the last two post stating they were closed. They probably think we're just rubbing it in their faces now.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    I think the "producting" schedule was covered with the last two post stating they were closed. They probably think we're just rubbing it in their faces now.
    I'm getting my facts straight and forwarding it to posters. I feel it necessary to follow up on rumours and confirming them for myself....

I know many many firefighters that wear these gloves and my concerns are genuine, Personally I have never used a set of these but have worn gloves manufactured by the glove corp.

Glove Manufacturers are limited in the market especially ones meeting NFPA requirements

MembersZone Subscriber

I am just going to worry when the maker of my doctors exam gloves stops production.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JohnVBFD View Post
    I am just going to worry when the maker of my doctors exam gloves stops production.
    How come your doctor has both his hands on your shoulders while giving you that exam?

MembersZone Subscriber

How come your doctor has both his hands on your shoulders while giving you that exam?
    Does that fall under the don't ask, don't tell rule?

Forum Member

Thumbs down

RTFD

Found this article in the NY times tonight. Explains why the company shut down to avoid getting sued by NY.
    Hope you didn't prepay for your order.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/04/ny...loves.html?hpw

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Fire Department to Replace New Gloves After Six Suffer Hand BurnsBy AL BAKER
    The New York City Fire Department has determined that its new fire-retardant gloves have a critical flaw: they do not adequately protect firefighters from burns. Since November, six firefighters have suffered second-degree burns on the backs of their hands fighting four house fires around the city, fire officials said. All were wearing the new Blaze Fighter model of gloves; in each instance, the gloves themselves were not damaged. The department is quickly moving to replace the gloves, made by the Glove Corp. They are now being worn by 6,500 firefighters in the 11,500-member force, at a total cost of about $850,000. The first sign of trouble came on Nov. 14, when three men on a hose line at a house fire in Brooklyn suffered second-degree burns to the backs of their hands. “The largest is the size of a quarter,” said James Long, a Fire Department spokesman. “It was blisters on the back of the hands, and on the fingers.” Three days later, a firefighter on a Brooklyn rooftop was burned in a similar fashion. On Dec. 25, a fifth firefighter suffered the same burns; on Jan. 23, a sixth, in the Bronx, was burned. The department bought the gloves in September, after a successful trial run. Officials at the time hailed them for their state-of-the-art design and tapered fit; they met National Fire Protection Association standards. But after the series of injuries, officials from the department’s safety command began an inquiry, using an “independent, outside expert” to determine if the physical make-up of the gloves had been a factor, Chief of Department Edward S. Kilduff said. The analysis revealed that the manufacturer had changed one of the materials used in the gloves. The change from a cotton fiber to a polyester blend made the gloves noncompliant with the national safety standards, Chief Kilduff said. The Glove Corp put out an advisory last month noting that the Blaze Fighter model had “encountered issues with the performance of the conductive heat resistance test,” adding that the company had received “reported cases of back of hand burns with a few pairs of this glove model.” This is not the first time the Fire Department has grappled with issues of equipment — or the lack of it. A controversy erupted in 2005 when two firefighters, working without personal safety ropes, were killed when they jumped from a burning apartment in the Bronx to escape flames. After the events of 9/11, failures in radio equipment — including a device meant to increase the signal of hand-held radios so it could reach the trade center’s high floors — were cited as having possibly led to unnecessary deaths. Communications on Sept. 11 were also hampered as firefighters were using old, analog radios instead of new digital ones, and as police and fire radios operated on different frequencies. “Their history with equipment has been really mixed over the years,” said Glenn P. Corbett, an associate professor of fire science at John Jay College of Criminal Justice. “The F.D.N.Y. has been a leader in development of new equipment around the nation; with air packs and hose lines and the halogen tool. On the flip side, they have also been, in some cases, slow to respond.” The Fire Department decided in 2009 to phase out the gloves that it had used for a decade. The Blaze Fighter model was chosen, mostly because firefighters liked them during a test phase. A Fire Department press release last year offered an endorsement from Firefighter Aaron Buch, of Rescue Company 1, who described being able to feel his “call button” through his glove to issue a Mayday after falling through a floor at a fire in Chinatown. The Fire Department has referred the matter to the city’s Law Department, said Gail Rubin, the chief of the city Law Department’s affirmative litigation division. The Glove Corp’s Web site does not list any of its clients, and telephone calls to its general manager were not returned. A woman who answered the phone said the company had closed as of Jan. 31, though she could provide no details. The closing of the company could complicate the city’s efforts to recoup costs. But possible legal or economic battles, aside, Chief Kilduff said, “The most important part of it, in our mind, is we need to get these gloves replaced as soon as possible.” The department has put its unions on notice about the problems and on Thursday evening sent a “department order” to every firehouse letting rank and file members know of the plans to get other gloves in place, soon. “We understand we have to act as quickly as possible,” Chief Kilduff said. “One injury is one too many.”
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

The bitterness of poor quality reamins long after the sweetness of low price, and in this case, the pain and suffering can be career ending.

Caveat emptor.

Good morning, Ray!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information