Forum Member

Default Cape Coral Fire... ANy info

Anyone going out for it or heard any information at all about it. I wonder how many applications got accepted. I heard they have six spots to fill thats all i got so far, test is in a couple of weeks.... any info would be great..
    Last edited by Buck Naked; 02-02-2011 at 01:52 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Naked View Post
    Anyone going out for it or heard any information at all about it. I wonder how many applications got accepted. I heard they have six spots to fill thats all i got so far, test is in a couple of weeks.... any info would be great..
    Six seems like a lot. I checked their website and it looks like a smaller department. I went to medic school with a guy that works there and he loved it. He drove a nice truck, bought a big fishing boat and a house, so I assume they pay pretty well.
    ...at this time.

Forum Member

I have a buddy who currently works for them, they had a lot of issues with their online apps rejecting guys so unless you called to clear it up you got bumoed. I heard they are testing 117 guys right now it is 1 official spot, but they have a few guys retiring in the next few months and they were already down some guys. apparently making a list and want to hire somewhere in the ball park of 6 to 9 guys by the end of year if budget allows. the hiring process goes PAT , then a test very similar to the IO solutions test, then interview and chiefs interview i believe they also do a polygraph and a psych eval. along with the other standard and backround check. I'll be there the 16th

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Hartman View Post
    I have a buddy who currently works for them, they had a lot of issues with their online apps rejecting guys so unless you called to clear it up you got bumoed. I heard they are testing 117 guys right now it is 1 official spot, but they have a few guys retiring in the next few months and they were already down some guys. apparently making a list and want to hire somewhere in the ball park of 6 to 9 guys by the end of year if budget allows. the hiring process goes PAT , then a test very similar to the IO solutions test, then interview and chiefs interview i believe they also do a polygraph and a psych eval. along with the other standard and backround check. I'll be there the 16th

I got an email last month saying that i past the application part and was qualified for the test so i think im in still.. the physical is on the 17th written 18th in the email it said so anyhow.

Forum Member

they must being doing two days of PAT, cause i have two other buddies how got through and one of theirs is the 16th and the other the 17th. either way good luck to anyone going out

Forum Member

well took the PAT no surprises there and then took their written test which was the NFSI I/O solutions test. now just waiting to hear back on my score they are taking the top 30 scores

Forum Member

Yeah lucky for us 1/2 the people didnt show they said... yeah im still waiting for the score as well... What time was your written test? mine was at 730 on the 18th and if there was only one testing time thats crazy how many people really didnt show up...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Naked View Post
    Yeah lucky for us 1/2 the people didnt show they said... yeah im still waiting for the score as well... What time was your written test? mine was at 730 on the 18th and if there was only one testing time thats crazy how many people really didnt show up...
    Yes there was only one testing and that was it 60 guys came out to test. Started off with 127 potentials. and after either not showing up or not passing the pat there were 60 that tested and they took the top 30 scores. Got my e-mail the other day and my interview/ swim test is march 2nd

Forum Member

well interview and swim test done and passed. now wait to see if i get called to take a poly graph

Forum Member

well word id that first two guys have failed the polygraph. I am guessing this poly is serious as all can be. what do you all think about departments using polys??? do u all agree with it or do you think it is a waste and good guys get passed up because their heart rate increased or their bp went up a few points.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Hartman View Post
    well word id that first two guys have failed the polygraph. I am guessing this poly is serious as all can be. what do you all think about departments using polys??? do u all agree with it or do you think it is a waste and good guys get passed up because their heart rate increased or their bp went up a few points.
    I've taken two of them, and passed both times. It's a waste of time and money. It's impossible to really know if someone is telling the truth or not. It's just an interrogation tactic. Research them sometime it's pretty interesting.
    FireMedic

Forum Member

o i have done a good amount of reading up on them, and it seems like it is just a witch hunt imo. almost everything calls it a psuedo science and I have yet to actually find anything that say they can tell a lie. it almost seems that they assume if any of your vitals increase your a liar. which to me is insane. but hey if they wanna waste anywhere from 500 to 2k a guy for a "vitals" check maybe I am in the wrong profession. lol

Forum Member

Well, nobody knows the truth but you. In the end it's up to the dept. IMO it's a waste. People have told the truth and failed, and people have lied about everything and passed go figure. Good luck though keep reading about them.
    FireMedic

Forum Member

well thats my goal, no one is a saint and no one, like you said, can know the truth other than you. So hopefully I get lucky and end up getting through.

Forum Member

Don't read about them, don't think about them, don't try to do anything to help you pass other than tell the truth. Just go in and try to relax as best as possible and tell the truth.

The first time I went in I was so nervous it said I was lying about a question. The question was vague and the tester told me he didn't believe the results and knew I was telling the truth. The second time I took a polygraph I was a lot more relaxed and had no problems.

Forum Member

Forgot to add: I got a job offer from both places. The tester does not send the results of the polygraph machine to the hiring dept. They write a report which takes into account the results of the polygraph and also the two hours they spend talking to you.

Forum Member

o see i was under the impression that the dept got a list of all the questions that were asked as well as your response pre during and post test. I am not reading on how to trick them, the whole idea of one truly intrigues me and just wanted to learn about them.

Forum Member

I'm sure it varies by department. With both departments I tested with I had to fill out a 15+ page questionnaire that I submitted to the city's HR department. The division responsible for hiring with the department reviewed the questionnaire and then called me for a polygraph (after pat/interviews).

Then when I took the polygraph I filled out the exact same questionnaire and then the polygraph tester went through it page by page and I had to explain/clarify some of my answers. The tester in both accounts told me that the department had already seen my answers and were okay with them, so as long as nothing had changed or I wasn't lying then there was no problem.

The polygraph is antiquated and should no longer be used as a hiring tool, however they still find people that lie on applications. One of the testers actually told me that he didn't rely on the machine so much as his gut while spending time talking to the applicants.

Forum Member

Anybody going out to cape coral this week for testing?

Thread Information