Forum Member

Question Modifying/repairing turnout gear

Some of you may recall my recent thread about turnout gear that is either very old (pants) or too large (coat). I've been looking into some other options, including buying used gear on eBay.

If I bought something on eBay but wanted/needed to modify it, or have a minor issue repaired, how would I go about doing that?

For example, suppose I buy turnout pants with orange triple trim, but I want yellow triple trim (my station doesn't necessarily require yellow but all the new gear has yellow, and I personally prefer yellow as well). For a repair example, suppose I find a small puncture. Are these things possible, and if so, how do I get it done? I assume regular tailors aren't capable of dealing with turnout gear. I assume patches need to be the same material as the shell, and I assume that any stitching done needs to use flame-resistant thread, etc.
    -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Forum Member

There are tailors that specialize in turnout gear repair. They can relace trim, patch punctures, etc. Google search and you will find many...

The company should be NFPA 1851 certifed in gear repair.. it is your "suit of armor" so to speak, you will want it done right.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    There are tailors that specialize in turnout gear repair. They can relace trim, patch punctures, etc. Google search and you will find many...

The company should be NFPA 1851 certifed in gear repair.. it is your "suit of armor" so to speak, you will want it done right.
    In addition, should it not be done according to NFPA standards, there may be workman's comp and insurance issues should a burn injury occur while in the gear.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Contact the folks down the street in Rockville at Maryland Fire Equipment. That's who does our repair for us at the VFD...good folks and quick turnaround time.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

I have used www.freds2therescue.com with great success,

www.trilexcleanfiregear.com Does nice work. But is pricey. They have a full price list on their page that shows all the little things they or any other decent shop can do.

www.911clean.com does great work and we have used them in the past, but they have become very sloppy latley with their turnaround times.

All of the above are certified to work on turnout gear and many of them are certified by specific manufacturers as well. Just contact them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Contact the folks down the street in Rockville at Maryland Fire Equipment. That's who does our repair for us at the VFD...good folks and quick turnaround time.

BoxAlarm, beat me to it. I was going to suggest Maryland Fire Equipment as well. They are a good company to do business with and can do anything you want to do with your turnouts, except make them new again!

http://www.marylandfire.com/

There are other in the Maryland State area too, google brings them up as well.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Thanks for the tips, info, and suggestions everyone!

I called up the Maryland Fire Equipment place, with the two recommendations behind it that will be my first choice. But wow, $51 to replace the triple trim at the cuffs! I guess specialized service comes at a price, so not totally unexpected I guess.
    -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Forum Member

Our local place charged me about the same.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JJR512 View Post
    Thanks for the tips, info, and suggestions everyone!

I called up the Maryland Fire Equipment place, with the two recommendations behind it that will be my first choice. But wow, $51 to replace the triple trim at the cuffs! I guess specialized service comes at a price, so not totally unexpected I guess.
    Triple trim itself is what drives the price up of any job involving it.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Well, you could always pay a couple thousand for a new set, .

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Triple trim itself is what drives the price up of any job involving it.
    Actually, their is no difference in price from regular Scotchlite trim in solid colors to Triple Trim. 3" Scotchlite trim for turnout clothing is all priced the same. Most repair shops i deal with charge the same per foot or trim whether it's Scotchlite or Reflexite.

If their was truly a higher cost for materials, then turnout companies would charge more for certain trims to reflect that. And they don't.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    Actually, their is no difference in price from regular Scotchlite trim in solid colors to Triple Trim. 3" Scotchlite trim for turnout clothing is all priced the same. Most repair shops i deal with charge the same per foot or trim whether it's Scotchlite or Reflexite.

If their was truly a higher cost for materials, then turnout companies would charge more for certain trims to reflect that. And they don't.
    That's funny, because this company doesn't seem to think the same as you:

http://www.afmo.com/Reflexite_and_Sc...rim_s/1141.htm

ReflexiteŽ 2" Trim 6.00 per foot

ScotchliteŽ 2" Trim 8.50 per foot
    ScotchliteŽ 2" Triple Trim (Yellow, Silver/Yellow) 11.00 per foot

Obviously these aren't the right sizes, as NFPA requires 3" trim, but you see the difference in price for the 2" trim, I'd assume it would be the same for the 3" trim as well.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    That's funny, because this company doesn't seem to think the same as you:

http://www.afmo.com/Reflexite_and_Sc...rim_s/1141.htm

ReflexiteŽ 2" Trim 6.00 per foot

ScotchliteŽ 2" Trim 8.50 per foot
    ScotchliteŽ 2" Triple Trim (Yellow, Silver/Yellow) 11.00 per foot

Obviously these aren't the right sizes, as NFPA requires 3" trim, but you see the difference in price for the 2" trim, I'd assume it would be the same for the 3" trim as well.
    The Reflexite price vs Scothlite price is not something i am debating. I know that varies, all i said was many shops charge the same.

But as for Scotchlite trim, I have never seen anybody charging more for 3" Triple Trim vs solid trim. So that is an indication that their is no difference in price from the manufacturer (3M). If Triple Trim cost more, why do none of the major turnout gear repair shops seem to charge more for it?. My local dealer has Securitex and Morning Pride gear with 3" Scotchlite trim in stock, some with solid Lime, some with Triple trim and the prices are all the same on thier comparitive models. And these are companies that LOVE to charge you for every little item you order extra.

Maybe 3M does in fact charge two seperate prices for triple trim vs solid. All i know is i have yet to encounter a repair shop that does. And off the top of the my head, i do not recall a turnout gear manufacturer who does either.

EDIT: After looking at the wesbite you linked, i noticed they are not even selling the 9500 series Fire Coat trim. You can tell because they don't make 1" Fire Coat trim. The Triple Trim i have seen on non fire applications is often a silver stripe of some sort of paint or silk screen on a solid background material. Not a unitized single piece of material like the 9500 series stuff. That may explain why the non fire rated Triple Trim may indeed have a higher cost that solid colors versions. Either way, his prices are absurd. The 9500 series is the most expensive 3M trim they make and i can get it for $7.00 less a foot then he is selling it in 3" no less!.
    Last edited by WD6956; 02-04-2011 at 09:47 PM.

Thread Information