Thread: smoke alarm SOG

Forum Member

Default smoke alarm SOG

Does anyone have a set of SOG's for the installation of a fire co. provided smoke alarm when, during a call the existing unit has been found to be defective. I have a good idea on what I want to write but I don't want to make it to complicated or possibly leave out a key element of our intended purpose. Any info would be appreciated.
    Last edited by knozlenut66; 02-05-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Default Our SOGs

I have written SOGs for a department concerning line unit installing smoke detectors. The policy stated that should we arrive and find no smoke detectors, or faulty detectors, then we would offer them two for free, one inside & one outside bedrooms.

If there were multiple bedrooms off the hallway we would put one outside and one inside the adult’s bedroom. The thought process behind this was children are more likely to sleep through a smoke detector and by doing it this way we increase the chances on an adult being woken up who can properly react. In a two story – one for down stairs and one for upstairs.
    As for installation we basically stated to follow the manufacturer’s instructions or NFPA guidelines.

We had numerous hardwired/battery operated detectors go bad in our community (age related) and they required a specific replacement model, so we did stress that if called for a faulty detector, regardless of the nature, we will not disconnect any alarm at any time unless we replace it with a working smoke detector.

Hope this helps.

Thread Information