Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Subframe for a Unibody

We have utilized this technique in training however have not had the opportunity to utilize it on an actual incident. 4 door Unibody with severely rusted out rocker panels where there is a need to complete sidewall removals on both sides of the vehicle. Timbers and ratchet straps utilized to create a subframe for additional support. I have also heard of folks utilizing a 24' extension ladder in place of the timbers as most units don't carry timbers of this length. Anyone have any experience with this technique ?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Not sure I'd waste the time. The way you set everything up, there will be little or no deflection even if the rockers are totally gone. I've seen them pretty bad around here but everything is in the Crusher long before it would pose a hazard you couldn't work around. Nice concept but I think would be generally unnecessary. T.c.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 02-06-2011 at 06:34 AM.

I appears to me that the Bruin guys understand vehicle construction & have worked together to come up with a solution to a possible problem before they even had the problem real-world. I like the initiative regardless of the reality.

A couple of comments;
    1) You guys came up with this rigging to support the vehicle during the roof removal evolution. Regardless of how the structure of the vehicle is, if you are removing the roof of a roof-resting vehicle, consider additional support about where the B-pillar used to be. Yes, this might be right in your way but that's why you train to come up with a solution to this challenge that works for you. You don't want the car to fold up like a wallet while you're working on it.

2) A roof-resting vehicle can be unstable when its' roof or B-pillars are taken away not only because of rust. Consider how your new technique might benefit you when encountering a hard-impact side collision when the rocker is crushed inward. The floorpan and rocker may not be as strong and may not support the vehicle like an undamaged rocker might.

3) What you did in training truly reflects the spirit of vehicle rescue. You created a solution to solve something that you had never and may never ever encounter. Regardless, you were successful in developing a solution using the creativity and baseline of knowledge and experience within your team. That's the same ingenuity that will get you through a tough rescue when you encounter something Real-World that you've never run into before.

Thanks for sharing...

MembersZone Subscriber

Always looking outside the box for ideas. First time we where actually exposed to this technique was when our crews attended ResQJack's Stabilzation University training program in New York a few years back. (The photos are actually from that training program). The crews utilized it in several various scenarios and it really didn't take that long to put into place. The theory was to add the additional support in the form of a sub frame with the struts placed in the rear for the vertical support. This then provided a large area on both sides for complete access to the interior of the vehicle. Since then we have used it in training programs and drills but haven't had an actual incident where we needed to apply it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Looks like a good idea...just in case

Looks like another one to play with once the weather warms up. Think I'll do sectional weaking of the areas we're talking about until I can induce a failure. Promises to be interesting. T.C.

Thread Information