Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default American Flag Display

I'm looking for some help on displaying the American Flag. Currently my department utilizes a 20'x30' American Flag suspended between two aerial ladders during firefighter funerals and other occasions such as Armed Service Day, Fourth of July, etc. The problem we have is that the flag is so large that it is nearly uncontrollable in any wind over 5mph. On one occasion while attempting to set it up it would rock both aerial trucks on its outriggers as the wind gust (approx +10mph). We quickly took it down. We are currently looking for another flag to make it easier and safer to display. Is there a manufacturer that makes a flag that is meant to be displayed vertically and won't act as a sail? Any help would be appreciated.

You can check with this company to see if they have any ideas - they are just a few miles from where I work...I believe a lot of FD's get flags from them.....

http://www.gettysburgflag.com/index.php

The only way to keep it from acting like a sail would be to cut relief vents in it. I don't know that you really want to do that with a flag.

Maybe something a bit smaller hung from the aerials would be a better solution? The large flag might work better on the side of a building where the wind wouldn't create as many issues.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Does it only have the 2 gromets? We have a large one, but it has 4 gromets, so we can tie off each end.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff View Post
    You can check with this company to see if they have any ideas - they are just a few miles from where I work...I believe a lot of FD's get flags from them.....

http://www.gettysburgflag.com/index.php
    I'll call and check with them on Monday to see if they have any ideas. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    The only way to keep it from acting like a sail would be to cut relief vents in it. I don't know that you really want to do that with a flag.

Maybe something a bit smaller hung from the aerials would be a better solution? The large flag might work better on the side of a building where the wind wouldn't create as many issues.
    I'm not opposed to relief vents as long as they don't make the flag look "tattered". It still has to look good, we just would like a easier and safer way to do it. Using smaller flags attached directly to each aerial is another option we are considering. If altering the flag we have now or buy a purpose made flag is too costly we may go that route.

Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by N2DFire View Post
    Another option. Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

as far as the releif vents in the flags there is a company out there (the name escapes me right now) for this purpose. another idea is to have a seamstress attach two more grommets in the stripes to tie it off on each end. the last time we hung a flag from as areial we just did the stars side of the flag one side to each ladder and it worked out fine. we had the ladders side to side with the flag in between them to help with the rocking
    We walk where the devil dances... FIR NA TINE

You can put tie down gromets in it on the other end or maybe sew in a heavy weight on the very end?
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    You can put tie down gromets in it on the other end or maybe sew in a heavy weight on the very end?
    We have the flag as the same size, and had another company put on a second border on the bottom. They added 2 brass grommets at each corner so that it could be "loosely" tied down to the aerials. It is not correct, but it works when it is windy.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Thread Information