Forum Member

Default Am I missing something here?????

http://www.firehouse.com/news/top-he...ee-firefighter

WTF was the FF chasing a burglar for???? Is there more to this story than they have printed? Was the firehouse getting burglarized or something??? Something just does not sound right here. Anyone from the area care to comment?????
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Huh. That's an interesting article. The only thing that came to mind was that he saw what happened and chased the guy down; but that's only a guess.

Anybody have something further?

Forum Member

We are talking about Tennesse here
    Bring enough hose.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Okay, the cops were there already, and obviously in pursuit if they had a police dog after the guy. I haven't a clue why the firefighter felt a need to get involved at that point. Caught up in the moment?
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Hmmm..........

Dog bites man........ The story makes sense to me. But then, chasing bad guys around here isn't news......... It's probably been at least 2 days since I've seen a chase here....... All Cops that time, but sometimes all kinds of folks get caught up in these things.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

A witness called the fire department, which called police.
    I guess the FD made the run, and a FF chased after the offender. K9 unit shows up, passing the chasing FF. Dog subdues offender, FF tries to make the grab, and the dog said "BS, this SOB is MINE... take this biotch".

If you're not a handler, don't screw with a K9 or get in its space. It will take you down as well.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by L-Webb View Post
    We are talking about Tennesse here
    Does that mean the dog only had three teeth and was in a relationship with his sister?
    IAFF

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Does that mean the dog only had three teeth and was in a relationship with his sister?
    You forgot the tattoo to teeth ratio

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Exclamation This Just In...........

Post deleted........ Error
    Last edited by hwoods; 02-05-2011 at 09:50 AM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

The FF obviously had issues with the burglar. Wifes ex boyfriend or tattoo issue as Ed said.

Forum Member

God help us, sounds like we have another John Orr on our hands!

EDIT: Just so everyone understands, that was pointed at the firefighter chasing the criminal. If ya don't get it, google the guy, he was a real piece of work.
    Last edited by firefightinirish217; 02-05-2011 at 09:17 PM.

Forum Member

On a side note - be very careful while operating around police K9's..turnout gear apparently closely resembles the "bite suits" used in training...
    Last edited by NY911Bowhunter; 02-05-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: can't spell cautious apparently! LOL
    FTM - BTB - KTF

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    God help us, sounds like we have another John Orr on our hands!

EDIT: Just so everyone understands, that was pointed at the firefighter chasing the criminal. If ya don't get it, google the guy, he was a real piece of work.
    How did you reach that conclusion?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NY911Bowhunter View Post
    On a side note - be very careful while operating around police K9's..turnout gear apparently closely resembles the "bite suits" used in training...
    Find out the HARD way? Three K9's in our area,I make a point to work with all three handlers. T.c.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Acklan View Post
    How did you reach that conclusion?
    John Orr started out as a cop wannabe. After being rejected by the cop society, while having underlying mental issues, he became a firefighter, then on to being an arson investigator (the whole while being a serial arsonist). Read the book "Fire Lover",very very interesting.

Anyway, it was a joke about this guy trying to do the cop's job.
    Last edited by firefightinirish217; 02-06-2011 at 08:51 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Find out the HARD way? Three K9's in our area,I make a point to work with all three handlers. T.c.
    K9's are the shizzle. I used to want to be a K9 handler. I could never be a police officer though, I have a horrible temper. Let me roll up on a child/spouse abuse call. Remember the woman that was cutting her baby apart, alive? She would never have made it to a court room.

Police officers have my utmost respect for the restraint they have to show at times. Some are weaker than others in this area, but for the most part, they do a good job of restraining themselves.

Ok, now that that is over. We know that we firefighters are still the best, haha. J/K BULL.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    John Orr started out as a cop wannabe. After being rejected by the cop society, while having underlying mental issues, he became a firefighter, then on to being an arson investigator (the whole while being a serial arsonist). Read the book "Fire Lover",very very interesting.

I know quite well who John Orr is. He created the situations of arson and murder, this fire fighter did not commit the crime. He respond to a citizen's report of a crime in progress. For all we know he was not trying to apprehend the person, but just keeping him in sight till the LE arrived. Singling out this fire fighter as a potential serial arsonist, is over the line. You do not have near enough facts to conclude this fire fighter was doing anything other than being a good Samaritan (Since this was not part of his job). The bite was being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Show any report of any crime this young fire fighter committed to draw attention to himself and I would reconsider your statement. Until then I believe you crossed the line comparing an altruistic act with the pathology of being a serial arsonist.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Acklan View Post
    I know quite well who John Orr is. He created the situations of arson and murder, this fire fighter did not commit the crime. He respond to a citizen's report of a crime in progress. For all we know he was not trying to apprehend the person, but just keeping him in sight till the LE arrived. Singling out this fire fighter as a potential serial arsonist, is over the line. You do not have near enough facts to conclude this fire fighter was doing anything other than being a good Samaritan (Since this was not part of his job). The bite was being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Show any report of any crime this young fire fighter committed to draw attention to himself and I would reconsider your statement. Until then I believe you crossed the line comparing an altruistic act with the pathology of being a serial arsonist.
    Dude, I was joking about him being a cop wanna be, are you serious? I never said he was a serial arsonist one time. You're reading way too far into the joke. Chill the frig out already. Who ****ed in your Cheerios? I didn't cross any lines, I never said he committed a crime, never insinuated it either. The correlation was to him being a cop wanna-be. If you took it farther than that, then that's your problem. Don't be so high faluting and huffy man.

I'll give you that I described John Orr's history of being an arsonists in conjunction with explaining that it was a joke about this guy being a cop wannabe. Be seriously, you took that as me calling this guy a criminal?

Had you read the last sentence in my last comment to you you would have realized this instead of going on a pointless rant about accusing this firefighter of being a serial arsonist.

With that said Acklan, I do apologize if you were offended. Just know that I was in no way accusing this guy of being a criminal.

Though, with P.D. on scene, he should really have let them do their job and stayed out of the way. You know darn well it ****es us off when P.D. gets in the way trying to do our job for us when we're on scene handling it.
    Last edited by firefightinirish217; 02-06-2011 at 04:18 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

We are not authorized to carry a sidearm, cuffs, or even pepper spray in our turnouts so it only seems sensible that we avoid jobs for which we are not equipped.

That said, I knew some FFs that would go play "spotter" for police pursuits, guys that would spontaneously (read radio spy) show up at criminal activity scenes, and guys that would follow a "drunk driver" across two counties to keep an eye on them until law enforcement could catch up to them.

Most of these people are not still in the fire service.

I've known a FF that on a single occaision impeded the progress of a person pursued by law enforcement. After the fact, she kept saying, "What was I thinking?"

Sometimes we act in the moment, sometimes we take the dreaded "stupid pill" for breakfast. It is the ones that constantly have a prescription for the stupid pill that are the real problem.

We are all human and subject to judgement errors from time to time. You just have to maintain situational awareness at all times in this job. Most times, the stupid pill won't do harm, but, sometimes it will bite you like a dog in the arse. The stupid pill can and will kill. Just know that.
    Last edited by Fireeaterbob; 02-07-2011 at 09:15 AM. Reason: spelling
    A coward stands by and watches wrongs committed without saying a word...Any opinions expressed are purely my own and not necessarily reflective of the views of my former departments

Forum Member

If it had been joe doe citizen --- he would be getting a medal from the mayor ----- then he proably would sue the PD
    ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    If it had been joe doe citizen --- he would be getting a medal from the mayor ----- then he proably would sue the PD
    That rings of the truth lol
    A coward stands by and watches wrongs committed without saying a word...Any opinions expressed are purely my own and not necessarily reflective of the views of my former departments

Forum Member

Here is what happened, the guys (firefighters) were sitting around the station when they noticed this burglar going in and out of this house that backed up to station taking items, they called the police. The closest unit was a K-9 so they got there and were in the front yard and the burglar took off out the back and started running between houses. The police is yelling from the front yard to stop he is releasing the dog, and the guy keeps going. The firefighter starts chasing the guy around the houses, when the burglar rounds the house and sees the dog he freezes immediately in his place the dog continues at the burglar until the dog sees the firefighter rounding the house running and goes after him, the more aggressive person instead.
    Last edited by FireRescueLupo; 02-08-2011 at 04:55 PM.

Forum Member

Is it just me or does it seem like law enforcement get's a lot more assistance from us (FF's) than we get from them??

Just sayin..
    My wise and profound comments and opinions are mine alone and are in no way associated with any other individual or group.

Forum Member

Blulakr,

Maybe that's true where you are, but Police Officers are securing the scene for us on a daily basis, which is something I appreciate.

We are all on the same team. Granted, as to the OP, I don't understand why the FF was involved in the apprehension of a felon. But I wasn't there.

Thread Information