Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Which Prince George's MD Fire Department to join?

I'm looking to go to either American or George Washington University in Washington D.C. next fall and wanted to continue volunteering in the fire service. I'm trying to find a good department to join but there are so many to choose from so I was wondering if anyone who volunteers in Prince George's could offer some insight.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Well.............

Do you really want to go there??.........

OK, OK, just kidding....... To get some idea, go to www.pgcvfra.org and look up each station's website. That will give you some idea of what's out there. Look everything over and get back with any Questions, I'll try to help....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Default Oh boy!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Do you really want to go there??.........

OK, OK, just kidding....... To get some idea, go to www.pgcvfra.org and look up each station's website. That will give you some idea of what's out there. Look everything over and get back with any Questions, I'll try to help....

Here we go. As the good Chief said, look up the web sites. I don't think you will go wrong with any of the PeeGee's departments.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

While not directly related to this topic .........

I have always been curious about the organizational and operational structure of PGFD.

Is there any website that may have an organizational chart of the department?

MembersZone Subscriber

Like Harve said, start by checking out the websites. If you want to do squad work or truck work or some other speciality, start looking at departments that do that work.

One word of caution, most stations up there have ambulances. Expect to start by spending time on those before you move up to the engine or special services (truck or squad).

After you look at that, look at live-in arrangements and proximity to where you will be living or working. Finally, arrange to go talk with the guys and try to see if you will be a good fit.

Thumbs up Well............

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    While not directly related to this topic .........

I have always been curious about the organizational and operational structure of PGFD.

Is there any website that may have an organizational chart of the department?

No. It's a closely guarded secret, like Grandma's Recipies........

Seriously, It's a bit of work to figure out. None of the Municipalities in PG have any control over Emergency Services - Fire,EMS,Rescue, Emergency Management, Hazmat, etc. Everything is organized at the county level, which gives us a great deal of Flexability. County Government has a Fire/EMS Department which includes all the normal stuff that one would expect, along with some stuff that's not common, such as the PGFD operates the Bomb Squad, instead of the PD. Then add in 37 separate Volunteer Fire Departments. These are Private, Non-Profit, organizations chartered by the State. The Volunteers Own most of the Apparatus and Stations, but the County supplies the Full Time personnel to operate them as needed. Some stations are fully volunteer, some are Fully Paid, and the rest (most) have Career crews working on Daywork or Shiftwork. My station has 5 People on Daywork (0700 to 1500, weekdays) and Volunteers all other times. The Chain of Command has Volunteer and Career members fully integrated into the System. A Captain is a Captain, whether Paid or Volunteer. Volunteers serve in all positions up to Major (same as a 3 bugle Assistant Chief). It is a perfectly normal everyday Fire where there is a Volunteer Chief Officer in Command, even though some units are operating with full or partial Career Crews.

Send your email to me by PM, I'll send you some stuff.....
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Thumbs up And......

Quote Originally Posted by Eng34FF View Post
    Like Harve said, start by checking out the websites. One word of caution, most stations up there have ambulances. Expect to start by spending time on those before you move up to the engine or special services (truck or squad).

Thanks Bro. There are only 2 Stations that do not have Ambulances at this time, but no one is betting on that arrangement continuing..... We require EMT of everyone as a condition of being an operational member. With almost 80% of our work involving EMS, it's the only way we can operate. The good news is we provide all training, Fire and EMS, to everyone, and it's totally Free. If someone shows up here with Training from another State, it can be accepted IF it meets NFPA Course Content Standards.......
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information