Forum Member

Default ISO Training Library

I did some searching here as well as Google but couldn't find the list of books and manuals ISO wants in your training library. Anyone have this info available?

Thanks!
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

When we were being inspected for our latest rating, I asked the rep about that. They don't provide the list as they don't want you to simply go out and buy what they are looking for.

yet they expect you to have it...
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    When we were being inspected for our latest rating, I asked the rep about that. They don't provide the list as they don't want you to simply go out and buy what they are looking for.

yet they expect you to have it...
    Yeah, doesn't make much sense does it?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is out of our last rating, in 2007, for the Library and Training Materials....

For maximum credit, a complete library of training manuals should be available in the department for the membership. The library and manuals should include: NFPA "Fire Protection Handbook", "The Fire Chief's Handook" published by Fire Engineering, "Managing Fire and Rescue Services" published by ICMA, Training manuals publised by IFSTA or equivalent, and the following NFPA Standards, 472, 10001, 1002, 1021, 1201, 1401, 1403, 1410, 1451, and 1620.
    It doesn't go so far as to elaborate on which IFSTA manuals, though.

Forum Member

You definitely want the "Fire Chief's Handbook", the current NFPA codes, and IFSTA Essentials 5th Edition (many copies).

If you can't get your hands on a cut-away hydrant, then find illustrations that cover it. Any book or publication that provides information, codes, or training is considered part of your library. CDs and videos also help. FEMA/USFA have many training videos that you can order that are free.

I have seen depts get credit for having popular magazines catalogued on the shelf.

Hope this helps.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    This is out of our last rating, in 2007, for the Library and Training Materials....

It doesn't go so far as to elaborate on which IFSTA manuals, though.
    Thanks, that helps a lot. I am going to start rebuilding our training manual supply this year using ISO as a catalyst.

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    You definitely want the "Fire Chief's Handbook", the current NFPA codes, and IFSTA Essentials 5th Edition (many copies).

If you can't get your hands on a cut-away hydrant, then find illustrations that cover it. Any book or publication that provides information, codes, or training is considered part of your library. CDs and videos also help. FEMA/USFA have many training videos that you can order that are free.

I have seen depts get credit for having popular magazines catalogued on the shelf.

Hope this helps.
    Also good to know. Public works is currently working on getting us a hydrant cutaway and mounting it on a stand. I will have to go the illustration route for the pump cutaway.

My weekend project (in preperation for a state training records audit today) was to clean out the office at my volunteer department. I threw away training books from the early 90s...previous administration either didn't care or just was too lazy to get rid of the stuff. I have 5 copies of the new IFSTA books on the way for a new recruit class starting tomorrow. I was just wondering what else I needed to look at getting a hold of before ISO comes in a year or so.

I do appreciate it!
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

One other question: will you get credit for a book if it is not the most current edition?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

Check out isoslayer.com. I am not sor sure if that is in there. We try and keep a current library of everything anyway so i really was not looking for that part. But isoslayer does have a lot of good information.

Forum Member

Your training documentation is very important.

Matter of fact, any and all documentation concerning the fire dept is critical.

Annual Hose Tests
    Annual Pump Tests

Apparatus: Apparatus Inventory Sheets help if they show the location of critical equipment (Door #, L/R Alley, Hosebed, etc). When ISO shows up, this will be important as to scoring maximum points for each apparatus. Try to keep all Engines as close as possible as far as equipment.

Training Records: For each Firefighter, Monthly/Annual Totals (# Classes, # hours). Include average per firefighter. Also provide data concerning LOS and Number of Hours of Training Lifetime per Firefighter. Be sure to conduct Company Drills and Night-time Drills in addition to Department Training. The Breakdown can be found at ISO Mitigation online.

http://www.isomitigation.com/ppc/0000/ppc0001.html

Library: Include anything but catalog it. The more you can duplicate the local library, the better you will do. Have a method to check out items to your crew; index cards work ok for this. If an outdated book still has relevent info, like very good illustrations, be prepared to state why you keep it around if asked. It will not hurt you if you have a newer version on hand. The bigger the library the better.

Company Personnel: Station Time (Staffing Hours, training hours, maintenance hours, other hours). This can somewhat overcome the 1 to 3 ratio (FT versus Volunteer). If you can demonstrate that you have people at the station 24/7/365, then you will receive more credit for Staffing. A full-time staff for one position would equal 8760 hours in a year. So if your people can accumilate enough hours to show 3 or 4 Full-time Station positions, you will get higher credit. Otherwise, you will get to count the average number that respond to structure fires, which you must show anyway. The higher the average the higher the score.

Staffing is about Engine and Service/Truck Companies. If records show a 4-FF Engine Company responding within 4 minutes, with additional FFs responding within the next few minutes, you will do better. ISO does not make a distinction between Career and Volunteer Firefighters. If you can show you have four on duty 24/7/365, and can meet NFPA1720/1710, you will do much better on staffing. Include all FF that respond to the fire, the station, to water supply or staging. Even include the FFs that check in by radio or phone as they are still activated, even if they are 30 minutes away. If you complete the mission before they arrive, they are still counted. Your data needs to reflect the average (typical) number deployed.

28 of the 50 Fire Department Points (56%) cover Distribution of Companies, Company Personnel and Training (Preplans and Inspections apply here as well). These points are often overlooked by volunteer depts with many just depending their apparatus scores. You want to gain every advantage you can get in all catagories. Water supply is usually the most difficult Section to secure enough points in Volunteer Depts. Your FD Points will offset some of the Water deficiency, but you will be penalized in the Divergence Score (the un-even scores between FD and Water). The goal is to maximize points in all catagories and get them as close as possible.

Build a Book: Any records that are relevant to what you do should be included in the Book. Separate the sections with Labeled Tab Sheets. You do not need to include Firefighter personal records, but they must be available to support your training data. Be sure that no personal bio data like SS# or birthdates appears on anything you release to ISO.

Include:

Apparatus Inventory and Specifications

Hose and Pump Data

Training

Call Data with Copies of all Structure Fire Reports (include FF turnout data)

Maps of the District - Include a rough 1.5 and 2.5 mile road mile distances from each Station. This really isn't a radius and is more dependant on the road distance. You can use Google Earth and add locators and measurements. This data is used for Distribution of Companies that determines response times. Anything outside of 5 road miles is not going to be helped much, if at all. Note: Some insurers use 8 mile distances.

Water Supply
    Include a Map of Hydrant Locations with Static and Residual Pressure Data. Show testing dates and schedules and SOPs for conducting tests. Show expected flow data. It is a good idea to number your hydrants by some method.

Include a Map of Static Water Supplies (ponds, creeks, lakes, pools, etc). Include road access and surface material in notes. Include Dry Hydrants data. If you draft, provide draft data by location and illustrations and SOPs on how and why you do it your way. Study other depts as to what they do, especially the depts that have very good PPC ratings.

Provide Tanker data: Tank size, fill time and dump time. Include off-load by suction/draft or pump data. ISo will only grade your tankers by refill and dump times. Distance is already calculated into the formula. The more water you can move the better.

Think about what you do in your district. If you think it might help, it should be included.

PK

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    Your training documentation is very important.

Matter of fact, any and all documentation concerning the fire dept is critical.

Annual Hose Tests
    Annual Pump Tests

Apparatus: Apparatus Inventory Sheets help if they show the location of critical equipment (Door #, L/R Alley, Hosebed, etc). When ISO shows up, this will be important as to scoring maximum points for each apparatus. Try to keep all Engines as close as possible as far as equipment.

Training Records: For each Firefighter, Monthly/Annual Totals (# Classes, # hours). Include average per firefighter. Also provide data concerning LOS and Number of Hours of Training Lifetime per Firefighter. Be sure to conduct Company Drills and Night-time Drills in addition to Department Training. The Breakdown can be found at ISO Mitigation online.

http://www.isomitigation.com/ppc/0000/ppc0001.html

Library: Include anything but catalog it. The more you can duplicate the local library, the better you will do. Have a method to check out items to your crew; index cards work ok for this. If an outdated book still has relevent info, like very good illustrations, be prepared to state why you keep it around if asked. It will not hurt you if you have a newer version on hand. The bigger the library the better.

Company Personnel: Station Time (Staffing Hours, training hours, maintenance hours, other hours). This can somewhat overcome the 1 to 3 ratio (FT versus Volunteer). If you can demonstrate that you have people at the station 24/7/365, then you will receive more credit for Staffing. A full-time staff for one position would equal 8760 hours in a year. So if your people can accumilate enough hours to show 3 or 4 Full-time Station positions, you will get higher credit. Otherwise, you will get to count the average number that respond to structure fires, which you must show anyway. The higher the average the higher the score.

Staffing is about Engine and Service/Truck Companies. If records show a 4-FF Engine Company responding within 4 minutes, with additional FFs responding within the next few minutes, you will do better. ISO does not make a distinction between Career and Volunteer Firefighters. If you can show you have four on duty 24/7/365, and can meet NFPA1720/1710, you will do much better on staffing. Include all FF that respond to the fire, the station, to water supply or staging. Even include the FFs that check in by radio or phone as they are still activated, even if they are 30 minutes away. If you complete the mission before they arrive, they are still counted. Your data needs to reflect the average (typical) number deployed.

28 of the 50 Fire Department Points (56%) cover Distribution of Companies, Company Personnel and Training (Preplans and Inspections apply here as well). These points are often overlooked by volunteer depts with many just depending their apparatus scores. You want to gain every advantage you can get in all catagories. Water supply is usually the most difficult Section to secure enough points in Volunteer Depts. Your FD Points will offset some of the Water deficiency, but you will be penalized in the Divergence Score (the un-even scores between FD and Water). The goal is to maximize points in all catagories and get them as close as possible.

Build a Book: Any records that are relevant to what you do should be included in the Book. Separate the sections with Labeled Tab Sheets. You do not need to include Firefighter personal records, but they must be available to support your training data. Be sure that no personal bio data like SS# or birthdates appears on anything you release to ISO.

Include:

Apparatus Inventory and Specifications

Hose and Pump Data

Training

Call Data with Copies of all Structure Fire Reports (include FF turnout data)

Maps of the District - Include a rough 1.5 and 2.5 mile road mile distances from each Station. This really isn't a radius and is more dependant on the road distance. You can use Google Earth and add locators and measurements. This data is used for Distribution of Companies that determines response times. Anything outside of 5 road miles is not going to be helped much, if at all. Note: Some insurers use 8 mile distances.

Water Supply
    Include a Map of Hydrant Locations with Static and Residual Pressure Data. Show testing dates and schedules and SOPs for conducting tests. Show expected flow data. It is a good idea to number your hydrants by some method.

Include a Map of Static Water Supplies (ponds, creeks, lakes, pools, etc). Include road access and surface material in notes. Include Dry Hydrants data. If you draft, provide draft data by location and illustrations and SOPs on how and why you do it your way. Study other depts as to what they do, especially the depts that have very good PPC ratings.

Provide Tanker data: Tank size, fill time and dump time. Include off-load by suction/draft or pump data. ISo will only grade your tankers by refill and dump times. Distance is already calculated into the formula. The more water you can move the better.

Think about what you do in your district. If you think it might help, it should be included.

PK
    Amazing post. My volunteer department (the one I am referring to for ISO purposes) only covers 2.5 sq. miles of territory (city limits) and all of the area has hydrants. Granted, some are steamerless, but they are there. We have 2 front line Class A engines and one reserve engine which will have the full compliment of ISO equipment by inspection time. We also have a light rescue that I am going to try and get as many service company points as I can for.

The area that will hurt us is pretty much every area that gets ignored when you don't have staffing during the day. We cannot provide 20 hours a month of training as we train weekly, and not everyone can make every meeting. Pre-plans are not done as we simply don't have the time, and when we would be able to do some, most businesses are closed (Monday nights). We do perform hydrant maint. every 6 months between the fire department and public works. Pumps and hoses are tested annually.

Depending on the time of day we shouldn't have a problem getting 4 people to a fire. We are technically public safety with 1-2 PSOs responding to every structure fire, plus volunteers. We have a great working relationship with the larger full time county department for mutual aid that works both ways. No auto aid agreements as this time.

We are pushing for one paid spot dedicated to the fire department, with response numbers and ISO points being a motivating factor. Hopefully if we get it, we will be able to improve on the areas we are currrently lacking in.

You guys really don't know how much the help is appreciated.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Amazing post. My volunteer department (the one I am referring to for ISO purposes) only covers 2.5 sq. miles of territory (city limits) and all of the area has hydrants. Granted, some are steamerless, but they are there. We have 2 front line Class A engines and one reserve engine which will have the full compliment of ISO equipment by inspection time. We also have a light rescue that I am going to try and get as many service company points as I can for.

The area that will hurt us is pretty much every area that gets ignored when you don't have staffing during the day. We cannot provide 20 hours a month of training as we train weekly, and not everyone can make every meeting. Pre-plans are not done as we simply don't have the time, and when we would be able to do some, most businesses are closed (Monday nights). We do perform hydrant maint. every 6 months between the fire department and public works. Pumps and hoses are tested annually.

Depending on the time of day we shouldn't have a problem getting 4 people to a fire. We are technically public safety with 1-2 PSOs responding to every structure fire, plus volunteers. We have a great working relationship with the larger full time county department for mutual aid that works both ways. No auto aid agreements as this time.

We are pushing for one paid spot dedicated to the fire department, with response numbers and ISO points being a motivating factor. Hopefully if we get it, we will be able to improve on the areas we are currrently lacking in.

You guys really don't know how much the help is appreciated.
    If you haven't already, download a copy of "Your Next ISO Rating" at the isoslayer.com site mentioned above. Also, get with ISO and get a copy of your last rating and a copy of the FSRS (if you don't have them already).

If you use auto-aid, make sure the agreement's in writing. That equipment and manpower can count toward yours (and arriving at the same time as yours) if it's in writing. Also, if you have an EMS unit respond, have that in writing with the agency and you have the potential for two more personnel on each fire for ISO.

Training is one of the items we had problems with, too. While we try to get as many people and hours in as possible, you're only going to get what you get. I think the important thing is to make sure you get what you can and have it documented the way they want it. We didn't get the points for actual training because of our documentation.

As far as preplans go, it's my understanding that you either have to have everyone go through the building or go through the preplans. If you have some guys that can get the preplan information, and then do them when others can be there, you might get some points out of it yet.

As far as your service company points, you can get points for equipment you may have on engines. When our rating was done in '07, we didn't have anything for a service company at all, just some equipment on our two engines. We still managed to get 1.23 of the 5 points for equipment that was redundant on both trucks (10 folding ladder, PPV fan, etc). If it's something you have on both engines and not on the rescue, you may still get the points. The thing is they want it on both trucks to ensure it is at the scene to be used.

Forum Member

I am also trying to work on improving our ISO rating as much as possible. My rural department covers three municipalities and we do use several other stations for automatic mutual aid. We run two engines and a brush truck, which I believe gets a very small amount of equipment as a service company. ISO has never been taken seriously at our department before we have a 7 in areas with hydrants and a 9 in areas without. The fire dept. score is equal to an 8. I think the biggest gains for the FD score will be in documentation. We currently have very little, we don't do hose or pump testing, and have limited documentation for training.

I do not believe that our automatic aid has ever been counted for in previous ISO reports. I also do not believe we have any written agreements between the actual fire departments. Just written run cards for the dispatchers. We rely on automatic aid for tankers, additional engines, and always have a ladder at least on "standby". Do these auto aid companies need to be within a certain distance to count? Would I be better off to have the ladders always respond rather than go on standby?

Forum Member

Automatic Aid will give you a boost on your points for both manpower and apparatus. If the 'aid' depts only go on standby, then this is considered mutual-aid since they do not roll when you do. They must roll at the same time. I'd take the ladder, at least one, due to the extra toys on board. You can always turn them around if not needed. But be prepared for this to cut both ways. You have to provide as well as receive. The agreements must be in writing to get credit.

It sounds like water supply is not your main concern in town, but rather the FD score. Increasing training and staffing points may be your best way to go, but do not overlook your equipment. Sometimes those little points add up.

The 9 class in areas without hydrants might be overcome with a coordinated tanker system. If those areas are further than 5 miles from your station, you won't change much.

I hope this helps.

PK

Thread Information