Forum Member

Default Take Job or go through Medic??

Hey brothers,

So basically Im stuck inbetween a rock and a hard place here.... Long story short, I work for a POC dept. right now, and I tested a couple weeks ago for a full time position with another FD. I got a call from the FD's Chief I tested with today, though Im calling him back the next day, because I was in medic class all day from 9a-9p. I have no clue what he's gonna say, but if it happens to be, along the lines of any offer of employment, I have no clue what to do here.... Keep in mind this FD I tested for is a Basic dept., not a full ALS dept.

If he offers me employment, how should I even tell him Im in medic class? "I pretty much wasted your time testing but thanks anyways??" I mean, theres NO way I can work full time, 24 hr shifts, maintain that job, AND do medic school. No normal human can, because theres only so many hours you can miss in medic school and I know shifts would fall on the day I have class.... Im so torn, because I want to work on a full time dept. obviously, but I also want my medic incase things go south with the basic thing on this dept. I can apply elsewhere..... Input???

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by csvt18 View Post
    Hey brothers,

So basically Im stuck inbetween a rock and a hard place here.... Long story short, I work for a POC dept. right now, and I tested a couple weeks ago for a full time position with another FD. I got a call from the FD's Chief I tested with today, though Im calling him back the next day, because I was in medic class all day from 9a-9p. I have no clue what he's gonna say, but if it happens to be, along the lines of any offer of employment, I have no clue what to do here.... Keep in mind this FD I tested for is a Basic dept., not a full ALS dept.

If he offers me employment, how should I even tell him Im in medic class? "I pretty much wasted your time testing but thanks anyways??" I mean, theres NO way I can work full time, 24 hr shifts, maintain that job, AND do medic school. No normal human can, because theres only so many hours you can miss in medic school and I know shifts would fall on the day I have class.... Im so torn, because I want to work on a full time dept. obviously, but I also want my medic incase things go south with the basic thing on this dept. I can apply elsewhere..... Input???
    First, do you have reason to expect a job offer? If you just tested a few weeks ago, he may just be calling to schedule an interview or physical agility test.

That said, if you are offered a full-time position, is there a reason you think things may "go south"? I ask because I wouldn't base my decision on a "what if" scenario. Even if you are unable to complete medic class and things "go south", you aren't going to be in any different a position than you are right now.

MembersZone Subscriber

So what do you want to do?
    Paramedic or Firefighter?

Would you seriously turn down a job in hopes of waiting out for a FF/PM job to show up in today's economy?
    Is the department also POC or all career?

Plus these questions are moot if you don't just flat out call back the chief to find out what he called you for in the first place instead of playing "what-if?". Call first and then create your soap opera.

Good luck.

Forum Member

Well, i would say maybe just tell him that you are in medic school and ask him if there is any way you could continue and work there? I mean how for along are you in medic school? Good luck though hope everything works out.

Forum Member

take the job, figure out medic class after (even if it means registering elsewhere)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hewartson47 View Post
    First, do you have reason to expect a job offer? If you just tested a few weeks ago, he may just be calling to schedule an interview or physical agility test.

That said, if you are offered a full-time position, is there a reason you think things may "go south"? I ask because I wouldn't base my decision on a "what if" scenario. Even if you are unable to complete medic class and things "go south", you aren't going to be in any different a position than you are right now.
    I guess I was getting ahead of myself, it is most likely a call to schedule an interview if its a good news call at all... But even still, if I do good on the interview, and get an offer....?

To the other replys, the FD has 4 stations, and Im pretty sure there all staffed 24/7, or it may be 2 of the 4 stations are staffed 24/7, because they do have POC guys as well, so I guess you could consider this FD a "combination" dept. I really would like to have medic but this would be such an awesome offer. I just would like to have medic incase I want to apply to my "creme de la creme" department in the future, because they are an all ALS department, and a very good dept.

Forum Member

When is the class over?????

Forum Member

What makes you think you can't keep up with medic and work full-time. I know plenty of firefighter/medics that got their medic after they were on the job. When those days your scheduled shifts fall on your medic class, you can get someone else to cover your shift. That's the nice thing about a full-time gig, you can calculate your work schedule for years into the future. Additionally the person who is teaching your medic class has to have a class schedule firmly planned out before they are allowed to teach the class.

I know it's not quite the same thing, but I'm working full-time as an EMT for a private ambulance company, fulfill all of my volunteer dept. obligations, and am currently taking a Medic class. That full-time job uses the same work schedule as almost every career department in my state. Since I know in advance when I'm supposed to work, I plan out stategic trades about a month out and update them as needed. It's worked so far up to this point. I guess we'll find out when I start clinicals next month.
    Last edited by KanFireman; 02-08-2011 at 01:24 AM. Reason: improper grammatical conjugation

Forum Member

CSV-
    If you're offered a job...Take it. The fact that you are already a firefighter means that in a short period of time you're eligible for "lateral" hires. This is a much better process to be in because the playing field is much smaller. The medic class can VERY LIKELY be done on off days...It's not that difficult. You just need to use downtime at night to study and keep up with the class material constantly.

ALS VS. BLS is a crack in the sidewalk...Job hopeful VS. Firefighter is a mile wide ravine...TAKE THE JOB.

Best Regards and Congratulations if you get the offer.

Paul C.

Forum Member

If you're going to medic school to become a firefighter take the job if offered. Our son was offered a job when he was given the opportunity to go to medic school. He took the job and never looked back.

Follow every job opportunity until you get the offer because you never know what is going to happen.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    If you're going to medic school to become a firefighter take the job if offered. Our son was offered a job when he was given the opportunity to go to medic school. He took the job and never looked back.

Follow every job opportunity until you get the offer because you never know what is going to happen.
    Thanks guys. Some really valid points were mentioned about having class day shifts covered and all. May looj bad being the new guy whos already asking for shifts to be covered though no? I do believe though tgeres a certain percent pay raise on this full time dept. for having Paramedic. And my medic clinicals are as ll task based so thats either going to be good or bad when it comes time to scheduling them around work.

Forum Member

If offered a career as a Firefighter I would drop everything to make it happen - Medic class, my other jobs, the state I lived in my whole life. You can reestablish the rest later, it shouldn't be a question.

MembersZone Subscriber

And so....?

Did you call back?

Forum Member

Yep. It was for an interview scheduled for next week. We'll see how that goes!

Forum Member

So what are you going to present next week or in the future when you finish becoming a medic that would stun the oral board panel to giving you the badge over the other candidates? This is another one of those opporunities where you want to be prepared before you show up.

Have you ever practiced your answers with a hand held voice recorder to hear what the panel will hear out of your mouth?

You can find some "Nugget" interview tips in this previous thread:
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117336 (Interview Questions HELP!)
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Csvt18
    How many more weeks do you have left to finish the class????

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Csvt18
    How many more weeks do you have left to finish the class????
    Just started a couple weeks ago. Lol

Let's talk fire trucks!

Just started a couple weeks ago. Lol
    Good lord, with only two weeks in the class, I don't even think that this would create a dilemma...take the job if offered!
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Good lord, with only two weeks in the class, I don't even think that this would create a dilemma...take the job if offered!
    But it is creating one due to the fact that if the economy stays the same or gets even worse, I basically wont be able to apply to any other FD... Also, if any other desirable ALS FDs hire, id like to apply.

MembersZone Subscriber

So if your intention is to jump ship the first chance you get, why did you test with them in the first place? Kind of a waste of their time, resources and money I think.

It sounds like your goal is to get on with an ALS provider FD. If that's the case, I take it back and say stay in the class in order to make yourself marketable to the departments you really want. The market, economy and jobs will turn around but probably not for awhile. Get yourself lined up to be where you want.

*Plus as Capt Bob said, there are departments that will ultimately send you to medic school. I can attest to that for a few of my friends who were put through medic school after being hired and given that opportunity.

Good luck.
    Last edited by ffbam24; 02-09-2011 at 02:47 AM.

Let's talk fire trucks!

But it is creating one due to the fact that if the economy stays the same or gets even worse, I basically wont be able to apply to any other FD... Also, if any other desirable ALS FDs hire, id like to apply.
    I don't quite follow why you wouldn't be able to apply with another FD? Who would stop you? Or are you implying that your "dream" FD won't be taking applications?

From the sound of things, you have a job now that's paying the bills, so if you heart is set on being a FF/Medic and not just having a FF job, maybe you should stay in class.

However, I agree with Bam: why did you even test with the first FD if you knew this was a possibility?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    I don't quite follow why you wouldn't be able to apply with another FD? Who would stop you? Or are you implying that your "dream" FD won't be taking applications?

From the sound of things, you have a job now that's paying the bills, so if you heart is set on being a FF/Medic and not just having a FF job, maybe you should stay in class.

However, I agree with Bam: why did you even test with the first FD if you knew this was a possibility?
    I tested way before this medic class even started and way before I knew I'd even get an interview with this FD. What I was trying to say when I said I won't be able to apply to other FD's, is that 98% of the FD's around my area are full ALS, and require your medic cert to even apply..... including the FD I grew up around, and desire very much. I would LOVE to work full time on this dept. AND attend medic class. I'd just have to figure out how to work around the days I have class....
    Last edited by csvt18; 02-09-2011 at 01:04 PM.

Thread Information