Forum Member

Flowing tank water........OK feasible.........But when you rush you make mistakes. Concentrate more on doing it correctly, you'll be more efficient.
    Last edited by Trkco1; 02-10-2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: spelling
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HFDCasiano View Post
    Trying to flow water that quick is going to cause one to forget something or screw something up. If your officer and pipemen are ready and at the door in 60 seconds they need to pump the brakes and look around at whats going on. Just my opinion.
    How long should it take? 2 minutes? 10? How big are you going to let it get?
    Just a typical moronic, childish, idiotic munchkin.

MembersZone Subscriber

Another issue that varies from department to department is the order of arrival on scene.

On a Volunteer department there may be multiple firefighters on scene prior to the engine ariving. An officer or a chief might already be onscene for a few minutes prior to an engine getting there and already have a 360 completed and has a good plan of attack. He might radio the engine, when you get there I want two guys to take the 2 1/2 through the front door an make an interior attack. So you already know what your assignment is before you get there. That would cut down on the time required before you can spray water, which makes it more important that the engine is READY to FLOW water at 60 seconds.

I would much rather have the engine be ready to pump and then wait for the signal instead of the other way around.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

There seems to be alot of emphasis on "doing a 360". I don't think I have ever seen one done. Just not practical here, I guess. Row houses, fenced gangways, etc.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Whocares View Post
    There seems to be alot of emphasis on "doing a 360". I don't think I have ever seen one done. Just not practical here, I guess. Row houses, fenced gangways, etc.
    I would guess the better phrase would be 'do a good size-up'. Ideally that includes a full 360 view but reality can dictate otherwise. (thinking of a school near me that would take 10+ minutes to walk around)

Back In Black

Surely, you see the value in doing one when possible, right?
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

When I drive, I've gotten in the habit of engaging the pump and recirculating water every time. Doing it every time helps get me in the rhythm and makes it 2nd nature. I think I've done it in my sleep before.

After you've done that, your only 1 lever away from flowing water and in much less than 60 seconds. I don't think that being ready to flow water within 60 seconds is unrealistic. Actually flowing water or charging the line within 60 seconds on EVERY incident is ridiculous.

It would be interesting to hear back from the original poster to get more detail on what the orders he was given were.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Surely, you see the value in doing one when possible, right?
    The way we run kinda eliminates the need for one person having to run around the building. One guy from the first truck is assigned to go to the rear and force entry and second truck ladders the rear, so there will be guys all around the building, and everyone usually arrives very close together.

MembersZone Subscriber

The way we run kinda eliminates the need for one person having to run around the building. One guy from the first truck is assigned to go to the rear and force entry and second truck ladders the rear, so there will be guys all around the building, and everyone usually arrives very close together.
    Our roof man surveys the rear, and reports and oddities, fire, people out windows...etc. And depending on situation the 1st or 2nd due Outside Vent Man will be in the rear as well.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firehog104 View Post
    I have been directed to flow water within 60 seconds of arrival on scene of any/all fires even if it is just a trash line manned by 1 FF with no pack.
    Pros/Cons Justifications.

Thanks.

Put pump in gear in the front seat.

Pull a valve lever

Rev up the throttle

WHAMMO You have water flowing.

Now, why would you have to be flowing water, if the crew isn't in position and ready to push in and fight the fire. If they aren't ready, you can't achieve the times set forth.

There are a lot of variables here.

BTW You can do it everyday with the booster line, in less time than 60 seconds too!!

Back In Black

Right, same idea. I don't think that the "360" needs to be done by one person.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

We can make it way under 60 seconds and no booster line. The engineer gets in pump, then hits the spray bars for the grass fires. 9 times out of 10 it is close to 20 seconds.

But for a structure fire, if 60 seconds is the goal, then someone is not evaluating the situation. How many fire fighters are we going to kill before we realize what we are going into (360). We (volunteer department) tend to be pretty aggressive, but still make the decision before our truck is in pump if we are going offensive or defensive by the involvement of the structure and the number of fire fighters and officers that have arrived on scene.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by drerict View Post
    How many fire fighters are we going to kill before we realize what we are going into (360).
    Yep.........
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    Our roof man surveys the rear, and reports and oddities, fire, people out windows...etc. And depending on situation the 1st or 2nd due Outside Vent Man will be in the rear as well.

FTM-PTB
    OVM's are rapidly becoming extinct.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Had a commercial boat fire this morning. Still wet from swimming around the boat for the 360.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Had a commercial boat fire this morning. Still wet from swimming around the boat for the 360.
    Good thing you were wearing bunkers, pull up boots would've sunk you to the bottom!

Thread Information