Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Orlando Fire Dept. Testing 2011

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Gio85 View Post
    At this point HR is probably the only one with this info. Sometimes they like to keep it g5 classified but they may e-mail us some info later on. You can try calling them but good luck. I do know that 85 is the final number that passed the testing process. Not bad considering that 1700 applied and about 800 tested. Now they will screen all the apps and go from there.
    I don't even think it's that many. I was talking with HR when I called them to clarify something personally for me, and just chatting with them, they told me it is about 70 people left. That was without me prompting them for any info, they just happened to mention it, so even better! I doubt there is going to be any way to find out as gio85 stated. The only way you are really going to be able to tell, is if you know someone who had a better overall score than you and gets picked up, and kinda compare how you did on the written and practical, that will give you a halfway decent guess. I was told the top 30 got called for the poly FYI, I wouldn't take that to heart, even though it came from a few good sources, it may not be correct.

Forum Member

From what I saw this weekend at the Orlando Fire Conference, any of you would be lucky to get a job with OFD. They are all a very dedicated bunch of guys and know their S**T!

Forum Member

hey any more news on the list?? how about the guys who took the poly??

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bmuse718 View Post
    hey any more news on the list?? how about the guys who took the poly??
    Sooooo, whose all got a call for an interview? Interviews start this week!

MembersZone Subscriber

any word on anyone starting? List? How many are in the process still and where at are they on the list?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eric33014 View Post
    any word on anyone starting? List? How many are in the process still and where at are they on the list?
    1-30 or so have been called and polys done... The next 30 are supposed to get calls in next few months....

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by eric33014 View Post

4 guys have been hired off the newlist....1 started today, the other 3 start may 2nd....

Forum Member

Does anyone have any new info about the hiring process? How many have been put on at this point and how many are next? How long until the next batch is contacted?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by harrisfire View Post
    Does anyone have any new info about the hiring process? How many have been put on at this point and how many are next? How long until the next batch is contacted?
    We have brought on 6 as of right now, 1 solo, 4 together, and the latest guy just started Monday. It's one for one right now unfortunately due to the SAFER grant requirements. May take awhile... I'll try to keep you posted as new info comes down...

Forum Member

Thank you for the update.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by layinonair View Post
    We have brought on 6 as of right now, 1 solo, 4 together, and the latest guy just started Monday. It's one for one right now unfortunately due to the SAFER grant requirements. May take awhile... I'll try to keep you posted as new info comes down...
    Hey, I was just curious why you guys started the one guy by himself instead of with the others? Just wondering... thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by beachfire View Post
    Hey, I was just curious why you guys started the one guy by himself instead of with the others? Just wondering... thanks!
    It all has to do with the SAFER grant. From what I understand, when the chiefs write up the request for the SAFER grant, they say they have "X" amount of people. In Orlandos case, I'm sure that exact number is around 500 or so. When the federal gov't gives you money for staffing ( the safer grant), they basically say ok, but you have to maintain "X" amount of employees, you can not go above or below that. This is to keep departments basically from letting people go, and taking the money and using it for something else, instead of hiring. So the SAFER grant has "rules" basically. If someone quits, retires, or medicals out, they have to fill that persons spot within 30 days, per the SAFER grant. If they dont, they risk loosing funding for that position. In other words, as of right now, they can't wait for 30 positions or whatever to come available and wait to put on one big class, if someone leaves for whatever reason, they have to fill it within 30 days. Hence the reason people are going through orientation 1, 2, 3, people at a time. So if no one leaves, no hiring, if 3 people leave tomorrow, 3 people will be hired within 30 days. That is how it will work, atleast for awhile.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VESmedic View Post
    It all has to do with the SAFER grant. From what I understand, when the chiefs write up the request for the SAFER grant, they say they have "X" amount of people. In Orlandos case, I'm sure that exact number is around 500 or so. When the federal gov't gives you money for staffing ( the safer grant), they basically say ok, but you have to maintain "X" amount of employees, you can not go above or below that. This is to keep departments basically from letting people go, and taking the money and using it for something else, instead of hiring. So the SAFER grant has "rules" basically. If someone quits, retires, or medicals out, they have to fill that persons spot within 30 days, per the SAFER grant. If they dont, they risk loosing funding for that position. In other words, as of right now, they can't wait for 30 positions or whatever to come available and wait to put on one big class, if someone leaves for whatever reason, they have to fill it within 30 days. Hence the reason people are going through orientation 1, 2, 3, people at a time. So if no one leaves, no hiring, if 3 people leave tomorrow, 3 people will be hired within 30 days. That is how it will work, atleast for awhile.
    Gotcha. That makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to reply and explain. Take care bro.

MembersZone Subscriber

Fuss, that rumor always seems to surface with OFD. I know for a fact theres 85 to 90 guys on the eligibility list, per HR. Also, I heard this rumor after the 2006 test, and the 2008 test sooo....I'm seeing a trend here me thinks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    ...pot stirring...

I heard, from "someone I know", Orlando might have to test again due to not enough people on the eligibility list.....

Anyone else heard anything like that?
    There is still plenty on the list right now. Another 50 or so haven't even been called for poly/interview. The last list lasted 3 years with close to the same amount of applicants on it after the first round were called. I think this list will hang around for awhile with it being 1 for 1. but who knows...

Forum Member

Layinonair, thanks for all the info. Do you have any idea or heard any rumors about upcoming retirements, number of people in the drop, or how many might be leaving over the next year? Have you heard any info about how the transport thing is working out and wether or not OFD is going to continue it past the "trial period". What I am really asking here is how many do you expect to get hired off the current list?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FTMPTBEGH View Post
    Layinonair, thanks for all the info. Do you have any idea or heard any rumors about upcoming retirements, number of people in the drop, or how many might be leaving over the next year? Have you heard any info about how the transport thing is working out and wether or not OFD is going to continue it past the "trial period". What I am really asking here is how many do you expect to get hired off the current list?
    No prob, there is a few that are slated to leave by the end of the year, unfortunately for your sake the SAFER grant is still in effect for another year so the hiring will still be minimal, on a 1 for 1 basis. With that said, transport seems to be working really well, there is clearly a huge demand for OFD rescues in the transport realm, and I wouldn't doubt that after the grant is over, we put more on the road and will be able to hire to staff them. I think the last numbers I heard was since Feb we've transported 9,000. (That was probably a month ago or so). RMA continues to pull units off the road since OFD is sucking up most of the transport. They are slated to take over Health Central's transporting out of Universal come Sept. So they will have their hands full with that, since Universal puts out a TON of patient's a day. I think at the end of RMA's contract the city will not renew (but that is my personal opinion). This will present the need for more rescue's tenfold. We are constantly putting the "jump over" reserve rescues in service on a almost every shift basis. So for total numbers that will get hired, unfortunately I have no answer, but I wouldn't be surprised if we bulked up post SAFER. Remember the city claims they are out of the budget crisis (not sure how much I believe it) but they can't turn down the need for more public safety if transport is working and the demand is still high. Good luck to you, stay safe.

Forum Member

Hey, how do you guys staff trucks/new ambo units?
    And for the new guys who just get hired, where do they go?

Just wondering for my own information.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deluge059 View Post
    Hey, how do you guys staff trucks/new ambo units?
    And for the new guys who just get hired, where do they go?

Just wondering for my own information.
    Right now they are trying for 2 Medics on the box. When you're hired you "should" do 90 days on an Engine. But with demand for Medics on the box that could be shortened.

Forum Member

No prob, there is a few that are slated to leave by the end of the year, unfortunately for your sake the SAFER grant is still in effect for another year so the hiring will still be minimal, on a 1 for 1 basis. With that said, transport seems to be working really well, there is clearly a huge demand for OFD rescues in the transport realm, and I wouldn't doubt that after the grant is over, we put more on the road and will be able to hire to staff them. I think the last numbers I heard was since Feb we've transported 9,000. (That was probably a month ago or so). RMA continues to pull units off the road since OFD is sucking up most of the transport. They are slated to take over Health Central's transporting out of Universal come Sept. So they will have their hands full with that, since Universal puts out a TON of patient's a day. I think at the end of RMA's contract the city will not renew (but that is my personal opinion). This will present the need for more rescue's tenfold. We are constantly putting the "jump over" reserve rescues in service on a almost every shift basis. So for total numbers that will get hired, unfortunately I have no answer, but I wouldn't be surprised if we bulked up post SAFER. Remember the city claims they are out of the budget crisis (not sure how much I believe it) but they can't turn down the need for more public safety if transport is working and the demand is still high. Good luck to you, stay safe.
    Sounds like transport has spread you guys pretty thin.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherHed4Life View Post
    Sounds like transport has spread you guys pretty thin.
    We have the coverage, it would just be nicer if certain rescues didn't have to transport for 2 other areas that aren't theirs just because there is no rescue at that house. Once there is a rescue at every station, which I'm guessing will eventually happen, the coverage will be much better.

Forum Member

We have the coverage, it would just be nicer if certain rescues didn't have to transport for 2 other areas that aren't theirs just because there is no rescue at that house. Once there is a rescue at every station, which I'm guessing will eventually happen, the coverage will be much better.
    exactly, spread thin

Are you guys even staffing the "big" rescues anymore to augment the truck? or are thise crews being used to staff the transport rescues

Forum Member

exactly, spread thin

Are you guys even staffing the "big" rescues anymore to augment the truck? or are thise crews being used to staff the transport rescues
    Rescues can perform outside truck functions until the heavy gets there. Then they goto Ready Rescue mode.

Forum Member

Rescues can perform outside truck functions until the heavy gets there. Then they goto Ready Rescue mode.
    by "big" I meant the older rescues like the international chassis, vs the other rescues, the new dodges.

I didnt know if the old rescues have been completely unstaffed and crews moved to the new ones. I know the old ones were equipped for truck work, and I didnt know if the new rescues were equipped the same

MembersZone Subscriber

by "big" I meant the older rescues like the international chassis, vs the other rescues, the new dodges.

I didnt know if the old rescues have been completely unstaffed and crews moved to the new ones. I know the old ones were equipped for truck work, and I didnt know if the new rescues were equipped the same

I'm 90 percent sure the "newer" rescues are slightly stripped. SOP's have also changed, especially on high rise fires for the rescues (layinonair or rpferry can correct me if I'm wrong). I don't believe they have a saw anymore on the newer rescues.

layinonair, when you say outside truck functions, does this include VES? what if a truck is on scene vs the heavy? Do they go into "ready rescue" mode, or do they team up with the left jump/engineer outside team from the truck and continue there functions until the heavy is there?

Thread Information