Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Orlando Fire Dept. Testing 2011

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by VESmedic View Post
    I'm 90 percent sure the "newer" rescues are slightly stripped. SOP's have also changed, especially on high rise fires for the rescues (layinonair or rpferry can correct me if I'm wrong). I don't believe they have a saw anymore on the newer rescues.

layinonair, when you say outside truck functions, does this include VES? what if a truck is on scene vs the heavy? Do they go into "ready rescue" mode, or do they team up with the left jump/engineer outside team from the truck and continue there functions until the heavy is there?
    I think rpferry may be a little outta the loop. At least last I heard he was.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

how often does Orlando Hire?
    -Firefighting is a lifestyle NOT a career-

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKiefer View Post
    how often does Orlando Hire?
    They tested in early 2011? From what i understand they can only hire to replace the guys leaving to keep the Safer Grant.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SVTxDUDE View Post
    They tested in early 2011? From what i understand they can only hire to replace the guys leaving to keep the Safer Grant.
    They can hire as many as thier budget allows for. However, since they required a grant to prevent laying guys off, that budget is not new hire friendly.

The SAFER grant requires them to maintain the minimum staffing at which the grant was recieved, so as people retire, quit or leave on medical, they must replace that person with another full time position or there would be a surplus of grant money.

Forum Member

I'm 90 percent sure the "newer" rescues are slightly stripped. SOP's have also changed, especially on high rise fires for the rescues (layinonair or rpferry can correct me if I'm wrong). I don't believe they have a saw anymore on the newer rescues.

layinonair, when you say outside truck functions, does this include VES? what if a truck is on scene vs the heavy? Do they go into "ready rescue" mode, or do they team up with the left jump/engineer outside team from the truck and continue there functions until the heavy is there?
    You are correct, the new rescues don't have saws on them anymore. The SOP's have changed drastically for the rescues on all types of fires. But it is what it is now.

They only go into Ready Rescue mode as soon as RIT is on scene and established. Depending on the response that's coming it could be the Heavy or a Truck. Used to split and one guy team up with outside truck, other with inside truck. Now they stay together and do proactive work, they can VES but that is the most in depth they can get on the fire. Other than that, helping safe the building, utilities, back side report, etc.

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    What is the standard response on a dwelling fire as far as engines/trucks/rescues/chiefs/heavy rescues?

...and whats the staffing like.... just curious...
    3 Engines, 2 Trucks, HR, Rescue, 2 Batt Chiefs.

From
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIn11F7fArw
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

I *think* they dropped it to 1 truck now, could be wrong...

As far as manning, it may have changed alittle now with transport but in general it has pretty much been: Trucks: 4 man minimum, Engine: Multiple 4 man engines, but a handful of 3 man as well. generally, outside of station 1, multiple company houses have a 3 man engine. some seem to have gotten around that though (8, 10, 9) but I believe 2, 7, and 11's Engines are stll 3 man...Ironically they are the busiest in the city as well.

Forum Member

Heard through the grapevine, OFD bringing on a large number in October.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFireEMT View Post
    Heard through the grapevine, OFD bringing on a large number in October.
    ....of 2012. And that would just be a rumor providing more units go on the road as well.

Forum Member

Any Updates?

Forum Member

Not much new right now, still 1 for 1, we just brought on 3 more, in orientation right now. So if you were called already, that's 3 more you can check off your list of 30 or so. Other than that not much new, we have quite a few retirements and promotions coming up so it shouldn't be too long before the next calls go out. Good luck to all.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info bro. I interviewed/poly in may and HR said there were 35 of us on the processed list. I have worked down south for 4 years now and learned alot about Florida fire departments. In mine and alot of other people's opinions OFD is THE department in Florida. A Captain I have the utmost respect for, who is in charge of West Palm Squad 4, said that OFD is the only department he would ever consider leaving west palm for. It seems all I think about lately is getting that phone call. Any guess on the number/timing of upcoming retirements?
    Last edited by FTMPTBEGH; 09-21-2011 at 10:01 AM.

Forum Member

30 or so? Is that how many is left on the eligibility list? If the budget is indeed better (God I hope so) and OFD decides to beef up manning for the addition of more ambulances they'd probably have to retest in 2012 sometime right?

I hope everyone on this list makes it, no matter how long it takes. And the next time OFD tests, I'll be able to actually make all the parts of the test since I live here now. So I look forward to working with everyone in the (hopefully) near future.
    Sorry for the confusion the list has a total of 81, HR called the first 30 or so. So that's what I meant by checking off names if you have been called already.

Won't be done with SAFER til next Oct. Probably having a test around Jan 2013 I imagine (as that would be 2 year expiration on the current list as well) my guess is that will be the next test. We shouldn't burn through the current list early.

As for projected retirements it's tough to say, people leave when they want, as for retirements being forced out due to forward and back drop, there are a few but not a ton.

Forum Member

But who the funk cares about that right now. Good luck to everyone left on this list. Hope to be cleaning your bathrooms and kitchen floors in a few years as the "rookie"........for the third time.......heh
    Hopefully some of the future firefighters that read these forums pick up on that attitude. Regardless if its your 1st or 5th department, cleaning the toilets is one of the most basic ways for your crew to build trust in you. If you can't clean a ****ter, how do they know you'll be able to follow commands on the fireground?

I've said it before too, if I were to come back to Florida, there will be only 3 -4 departments I would even consider applying for and Orlando is probably #1 on that list.

Fuss, quick non OFD question. Why does philly still use those god awful yellow tupperware lids?

Forum Member

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I love stuff like that.

Forum Member

Very nice, FireFuss. Thanks for sharing.

makes good girls go bad

That is some cool shiite. Thanks for sharing dude.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Floater for life!!

Quote Originally Posted by layinonair View Post
    Sorry for the confusion the list has a total of 81, HR called the first 30 or so. So that's what I meant by checking off names if you have been called already.

Won't be done with SAFER til next Oct. Probably having a test around Jan 2013 I imagine (as that would be 2 year expiration on the current list as well) my guess is that will be the next test. We shouldn't burn through the current list early.

As for projected retirements it's tough to say, people leave when they want, as for retirements being forced out due to forward and back drop, there are a few but not a ton.
    hmmmmmm......and i will be 2 months shy of vesting.....interesting

Floater for life!!

In FRS if you leave before your vested you recieve no benefit. The only money i may get back is the 3% we are paying in as of July 1st.....but i would roll it anyways...and ya by the time a list came out i would have the time

Floater for life!!

ya if i do change dept i would roll any accumulated retirement into the new dept....thats just smarter as well as easier come collecting time....but i may stay where i am at until my son graduates in 6 years...been lookin pacific northwest

Forum Member

Some pensions/departments do not allow you to roll over though, so cashing out is your only option.
    Another suggestion is if you are moving distances from one department to another (like I am) cashing out can help pay for moving expenses, new housing, new furniture, etc. This is a viable option if you only have a small time in and aren't going to lose much by not rolling over.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by e10pvmt View Post
    ya if i do change dept i would roll any accumulated retirement into the new dept....thats just smarter as well as easier come collecting time....but i may stay where i am at until my son graduates in 6 years...been lookin pacific northwest
    Who are you kidding chump you aren't ever leaving Florida!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

So what are we up to now? 11 right? I know what HR "tolf me my number" is, but I'm starting to see that number really doesn't matter...I know a few people that were around the top 10 that haven't gotten called so...more waiting I guess...

Floater for life!!

Quote Originally Posted by layinonair View Post
    Who are you kidding chump you aren't ever leaving Florida!!!
    Trust me it is a serious consideration of ours...but not for at least 6 years

[QUOTE=FireFuss;1296376]On that note "chump" ( i hope you guys know each other)

For about 10 years.....its safe to say "we've met"....lol

Forum Member

So what are we up to now? 11 right? I know what HR "tolf me my number" is, but I'm starting to see that number really doesn't matter...I know a few people that were around the top 10 that haven't gotten called so...more waiting I guess...
    Only 9 off the new list (including the 3 in training right now).

Thread Information