Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Orlando Fire Dept. Testing 2011

Forum Member

Layinonair, thanks for all the info. Do you have any idea or heard any rumors about upcoming retirements, number of people in the drop, or how many might be leaving over the next year? Have you heard any info about how the transport thing is working out and wether or not OFD is going to continue it past the "trial period". What I am really asking here is how many do you expect to get hired off the current list?

Quote Originally Posted by FTMPTBEGH View Post
    Layinonair, thanks for all the info. Do you have any idea or heard any rumors about upcoming retirements, number of people in the drop, or how many might be leaving over the next year? Have you heard any info about how the transport thing is working out and wether or not OFD is going to continue it past the "trial period". What I am really asking here is how many do you expect to get hired off the current list?
    No prob, there is a few that are slated to leave by the end of the year, unfortunately for your sake the SAFER grant is still in effect for another year so the hiring will still be minimal, on a 1 for 1 basis. With that said, transport seems to be working really well, there is clearly a huge demand for OFD rescues in the transport realm, and I wouldn't doubt that after the grant is over, we put more on the road and will be able to hire to staff them. I think the last numbers I heard was since Feb we've transported 9,000. (That was probably a month ago or so). RMA continues to pull units off the road since OFD is sucking up most of the transport. They are slated to take over Health Central's transporting out of Universal come Sept. So they will have their hands full with that, since Universal puts out a TON of patient's a day. I think at the end of RMA's contract the city will not renew (but that is my personal opinion). This will present the need for more rescue's tenfold. We are constantly putting the "jump over" reserve rescues in service on a almost every shift basis. So for total numbers that will get hired, unfortunately I have no answer, but I wouldn't be surprised if we bulked up post SAFER. Remember the city claims they are out of the budget crisis (not sure how much I believe it) but they can't turn down the need for more public safety if transport is working and the demand is still high. Good luck to you, stay safe.

Forum Member

Hey, how do you guys staff trucks/new ambo units?
    And for the new guys who just get hired, where do they go?

Just wondering for my own information.

Quote Originally Posted by Deluge059 View Post
    Hey, how do you guys staff trucks/new ambo units?
    And for the new guys who just get hired, where do they go?

Just wondering for my own information.
    Right now they are trying for 2 Medics on the box. When you're hired you "should" do 90 days on an Engine. But with demand for Medics on the box that could be shortened.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by layinonair View Post
    No prob, there is a few that are slated to leave by the end of the year, unfortunately for your sake the SAFER grant is still in effect for another year so the hiring will still be minimal, on a 1 for 1 basis. With that said, transport seems to be working really well, there is clearly a huge demand for OFD rescues in the transport realm, and I wouldn't doubt that after the grant is over, we put more on the road and will be able to hire to staff them. I think the last numbers I heard was since Feb we've transported 9,000. (That was probably a month ago or so). RMA continues to pull units off the road since OFD is sucking up most of the transport. They are slated to take over Health Central's transporting out of Universal come Sept. So they will have their hands full with that, since Universal puts out a TON of patient's a day. I think at the end of RMA's contract the city will not renew (but that is my personal opinion). This will present the need for more rescue's tenfold. We are constantly putting the "jump over" reserve rescues in service on a almost every shift basis. So for total numbers that will get hired, unfortunately I have no answer, but I wouldn't be surprised if we bulked up post SAFER. Remember the city claims they are out of the budget crisis (not sure how much I believe it) but they can't turn down the need for more public safety if transport is working and the demand is still high. Good luck to you, stay safe.
    Sounds like transport has spread you guys pretty thin.

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherHed4Life View Post
    Sounds like transport has spread you guys pretty thin.
    We have the coverage, it would just be nicer if certain rescues didn't have to transport for 2 other areas that aren't theirs just because there is no rescue at that house. Once there is a rescue at every station, which I'm guessing will eventually happen, the coverage will be much better.

Forum Member

We have the coverage, it would just be nicer if certain rescues didn't have to transport for 2 other areas that aren't theirs just because there is no rescue at that house. Once there is a rescue at every station, which I'm guessing will eventually happen, the coverage will be much better.
    exactly, spread thin

Are you guys even staffing the "big" rescues anymore to augment the truck? or are thise crews being used to staff the transport rescues

exactly, spread thin

Are you guys even staffing the "big" rescues anymore to augment the truck? or are thise crews being used to staff the transport rescues
    Rescues can perform outside truck functions until the heavy gets there. Then they goto Ready Rescue mode.

Forum Member

Rescues can perform outside truck functions until the heavy gets there. Then they goto Ready Rescue mode.
    by "big" I meant the older rescues like the international chassis, vs the other rescues, the new dodges.

I didnt know if the old rescues have been completely unstaffed and crews moved to the new ones. I know the old ones were equipped for truck work, and I didnt know if the new rescues were equipped the same

MembersZone Subscriber

by "big" I meant the older rescues like the international chassis, vs the other rescues, the new dodges.

I didnt know if the old rescues have been completely unstaffed and crews moved to the new ones. I know the old ones were equipped for truck work, and I didnt know if the new rescues were equipped the same

I'm 90 percent sure the "newer" rescues are slightly stripped. SOP's have also changed, especially on high rise fires for the rescues (layinonair or rpferry can correct me if I'm wrong). I don't believe they have a saw anymore on the newer rescues.

layinonair, when you say outside truck functions, does this include VES? what if a truck is on scene vs the heavy? Do they go into "ready rescue" mode, or do they team up with the left jump/engineer outside team from the truck and continue there functions until the heavy is there?

Quote Originally Posted by VESmedic View Post
    I'm 90 percent sure the "newer" rescues are slightly stripped. SOP's have also changed, especially on high rise fires for the rescues (layinonair or rpferry can correct me if I'm wrong). I don't believe they have a saw anymore on the newer rescues.

layinonair, when you say outside truck functions, does this include VES? what if a truck is on scene vs the heavy? Do they go into "ready rescue" mode, or do they team up with the left jump/engineer outside team from the truck and continue there functions until the heavy is there?
    I think rpferry may be a little outta the loop. At least last I heard he was.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

how often does Orlando Hire?
    -Firefighting is a lifestyle NOT a career-

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKiefer View Post
    how often does Orlando Hire?
    They tested in early 2011? From what i understand they can only hire to replace the guys leaving to keep the Safer Grant.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SVTxDUDE View Post
    They tested in early 2011? From what i understand they can only hire to replace the guys leaving to keep the Safer Grant.
    They can hire as many as thier budget allows for. However, since they required a grant to prevent laying guys off, that budget is not new hire friendly.

The SAFER grant requires them to maintain the minimum staffing at which the grant was recieved, so as people retire, quit or leave on medical, they must replace that person with another full time position or there would be a surplus of grant money.

Quote Originally Posted by VESmedic View Post

You are correct, the new rescues don't have saws on them anymore. The SOP's have changed drastically for the rescues on all types of fires. But it is what it is now.

They only go into Ready Rescue mode as soon as RIT is on scene and established. Depending on the response that's coming it could be the Heavy or a Truck. Used to split and one guy team up with outside truck, other with inside truck. Now they stay together and do proactive work, they can VES but that is the most in depth they can get on the fire. Other than that, helping safe the building, utilities, back side report, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    What is the standard response on a dwelling fire as far as engines/trucks/rescues/chiefs/heavy rescues?

...and whats the staffing like.... just curious...
    3 Engines, 2 Trucks, HR, Rescue, 2 Batt Chiefs.

From
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIn11F7fArw
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

I *think* they dropped it to 1 truck now, could be wrong...

As far as manning, it may have changed alittle now with transport but in general it has pretty much been: Trucks: 4 man minimum, Engine: Multiple 4 man engines, but a handful of 3 man as well. generally, outside of station 1, multiple company houses have a 3 man engine. some seem to have gotten around that though (8, 10, 9) but I believe 2, 7, and 11's Engines are stll 3 man...Ironically they are the busiest in the city as well.

Forum Member

Heard through the grapevine, OFD bringing on a large number in October.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFireEMT View Post
    Heard through the grapevine, OFD bringing on a large number in October.
    ....of 2012. And that would just be a rumor providing more units go on the road as well.

Forum Member

Any Updates?

Thread Information