+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 First ... 3456789 ... Last
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Orlando Fire Dept. Testing 2011

Forum Member

Check your emails, testing instructions have been sent out.

Forum Member

I am just wondering one thing. I have the 4th edition IFSTA book and the test is to be based on the 5th edition. Do I need to buy the 5th edition for my best chance at the test or is the material in the 4th edition adequate?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gregorypickering View Post
    I am just wondering one thing. I have the 4th edition IFSTA book and the test is to be based on the 5th edition. Do I need to buy the 5th edition for my best chance at the test or is the material in the 4th edition adequate?

i was wondering the same thing. i have the 5th edition ifsta book, but a different book by the same company for the medical portion. anyway, if anyone who lives in orlando wants to form a study group, please pm me

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gregorypickering View Post
    I'd venture to say it would be fine since the information really doesn't change too much over the years, but if I were taking the test and I wanted to be completely sure, I'd grab/borrow a copy of the current book just to be safe. Don't want to steer you in the wrong direction bro.

Forum Member

FFemt1991 I would be interested in getting a small study group together at a local starbucks in Orlando. What days are you free and where in Orlando are you located?

Default Test Impression

What a Zoo that test was. I cannot believe the amount of people there. I was not impressed with the way that we were addressed. The Training Chief sounded like he had no clue on what to say to us. The admin chick also kinda bossy. I really wish Chief Miller would have been there to greet us. I would say that I liked what City of Winter Park (Chief Jim White) said better during their test. I was glad to throw my name in the hat, but it's looking like City of Orlando is not for me. I'm focusing on getting promoted within my own department. God bless us with some Great leadership. Congrats to all that made it to the FFST. God Bless.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JAYLUGO21 View Post
    What a Zoo that test was. I cannot believe the amount of people there. I was not impressed with the way that we were addressed. The Training Chief sounded like he had no clue on what to say to us. The admin chick also kinda bossy.
    I am right there with you. I am glad I went and got the experience, but it was really an unorganized zoo. I was there in line at 7:45. I was in the un-airconditioned maze for over an hour. I didn't get seated till 8:50, then they didn't even start the test till 9:45. According to them the test was supposed to start at 8:30 sharp. I was seeing people walk up and get in line well after 8:45.

There were a lot of things that could have been handled different. But hopefully they will look at this as a learning experience for next time. Good luck to everyone that tested.

Forum Member

I am not sure if anyone could answer this but does anyone have a definitive number of how many they are looking to hire? Or how many they have going forward to the performance exam?

I guess I am just curious about what my odds are becoming like.

Forum Member

Definitely a fun time waiting in that line without an AC; my undershirt was drenched, lol. My only gripe was that OFD could have been more proactive in organizing the the line and handling the door. Little ridiculous to let people test who showed up late.

Anyone know what the top score was and the lowest cut off score? Everyone I know and met besides 2 people failed.

Forum Member

Cut off score was 68, and 166 advanced to the FFST per HR.
    FireMedic

Forum Member

It has been a zoo for years! Was back when I took it as well and the numbers were 1/3 what they are now. You have to consider every time the test is administered, a new venue has to be selected due to the shear numbers that turn out to take it. Last year was Amway to accommodate, unfortunately that is not around anymore for testing purposes, I remember everyone complaining about how cold it was there, so now you get the opposite extreme Congrats to everyone moving forward, get ready for the practical, sure to make a few drop out. As for numbers to be hired, still 1 for 1 til the first SAFER is up, more hiring in bulk will hinge on the 2nd SAFER applied for (if that helps).

According to you OFD is the best in Central Florida, what are some other great departments to work for in Central Florida?

I like the benefits that OFD offers, their trucks, their uniforms, the way you always see them training whether @ CFFA or in house. What I do not like is their attitude some times. A few jokers I have encountered have had a very smug attitude. Examples cutting in front of other crews at the hospitals, treating patients like children that kinda thing. That's not all the time though plus I know there are some jokers like that within my own ranks.

Forum Member

I tested as well. Myself and my two coworkers were all in the passing group, and we had a question about the FFST portion that is coming up, if anyone could give me a little insight. We are all in decent shape, and will be working hard every day to be prepared. However, we don't quite know what to do about the dummy drag/search portion. Is the drag from your knees? Do you have the opportunity to use a strap, and are there any required methods to use? Or can we just find the dummy, and do a typical dummy drag on the exit? Good luck to everyone else taking the test. As for the scores question mentioned earlier, we have spoken to others who took the test and so far nobody is above an 87.
    zago07 likes this.

Forum Member

As I remember from the last test you had to stay on your knees and I don't believe they allowed a strap. so pretty much find the guy and get him back to the door however you can safely.
    zago07 likes this.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ksm77 View Post
    As I remember from the last test you had to stay on your knees and I don't believe they allowed a strap. so pretty much find the guy and get him back to the door however you can safely.
    Thanks for the heads up brother. After looking all over, with no luck, I'm stumped about technique for for the dummy drag. I've trained for the low drag in the past with a strap, I've trained standing carries and drags, but not really sure how best to drag from my knees with no webbing or handles. Anyone have any insight?
    zago07 likes this.

Forum Member

Road nurse for life. First of all congradulations on passing the OFD test. I was there and did not make the cut. I was goign to ask you how you studied for that test because I was completely dumbfounded by it. Did you have a heads up or guide?

I also went to Central Florida and have tested for many departments where I have to drag a dummy out of a pitch black maze.

At CFFA, we were taught one of the ways to move a dummy was to get one of your hands in between their legs up to the crotch, and crawl as you push them in front of you with one hand. I know it sounds difficult, but it actually isn't bad. Mostly, when I did it, I would just get my arms under their arms and drag them out as fast as i could backward, feeling the wall really fast behind me either with my hand or putting a leg out (wear knee pads). All the tests I did, the dummy was hidden under something like a couch. I assume you work for LFD, so I'm sure you know that, but I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Mr_Lodus; 07-05-2012 at 05:26 PM. Reason: mistake
    zago07 likes this.

Forum Member

Are there any major differences between the Scott and MSA airpacks? It's been a while since I used one (fire school) and we don't use them in my department.

Forum Member

MrLodus, thanks for the reply. Great info, and I will give both ways a try and see how I feel with them. I actually only studied the day before and managed to not over think pthings too much. A good starting point is to read the first sentence of each major paragraph, then captions for photographs. I also reviewed a state test study guide Ridge Fire Academy uses for it's standards students to refresh. The Ems stuff I didn't focus on at all, add I just finished medic school a year ago and feel pretty fresh, since I stay on top of it all as much as I can.also, I don't work for LFD, but I'm on the job nearby. Good luck with future testing, hope to see you get on in the future.

Forum Member

So I noticed no one else asked maybe I missed it somewhere but I didn't see anything in my email saying where the physical test was? Was it on the instructions they gave out at the written? I'll dig that back out and check and call HR tomorrow. I'm guessing it's same as last year at their training center?

Forum Member

So, any feedback yet on how people are doing on the physical assessment? I take the test on the 17th, hope everyone is having a strong showing! Anybody got any pointers for an aspiring candidate? I'm kind of preoccupied with things. I'm in good shape and have been working hard for the last few months to get into better shape, but the what-ifs are getting pretty bad here. Any suggestions?

Forum Member

Fuss, thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize it would be a taboo subject. I appreciate that. I'm not looking to learn the layout of the maze or anything, I was just apprehensive about the technique for dragging the dummy from my knees. Its been years since I've had that kind of training, unfortunately, and would hate to squander such an awesome opportunity by pulling a "monkey f#(*ing a football" once I find it, since I'm used to using a strap or downed firefighter RIT techniques. Thanks for the heads up, I'll try to steer clear of innappropriate subjects. Thanks!

Forum Member

If you fail any station of the test do they let you continue to the next station or do they stop you immediately?

Forum Member

Thanks Fuss. I'm worried a little about the EMS portion. There are so many more critical failures in that one station than all the rest.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by G8rFF View Post
    Thanks Fuss. I'm worried a little about the EMS portion. There are so many more critical failures in that one station than all the rest.
    its not that hard, just try not to get rushed and you should be fine. I believe it was just an assesment sheet that he had with him. just hit all the points on it and know your skills and it should be fine

Forum Member

Layinonair do you know if there will be another hiring process for the end of this year? Do you have any idea when the next will be?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 First ... 3456789 ... Last

Thread Information