Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Orlando Fire Dept. Testing 2011

Quote Originally Posted by layinonair View Post
    Not true. Don't worry about that.
    Hmm. Interesting.
    Last edited by BLSboy; 05-01-2012 at 09:05 PM.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Test is Jun 26th per the A list

Forum Member

Anybody have their app approved yet, or are they waiting till the filing period closes?

Forum Member

Why did they decide on new list since there was only a few hired off the old one? Did they just need a deeper list since they plan on hiring more people? I was already on the old list doh!!! lol

Forum Member

anybody heard from them yet?

Forum Member

Check your emails, testing instructions have been sent out.

Forum Member

I am just wondering one thing. I have the 4th edition IFSTA book and the test is to be based on the 5th edition. Do I need to buy the 5th edition for my best chance at the test or is the material in the 4th edition adequate?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gregorypickering View Post
    I am just wondering one thing. I have the 4th edition IFSTA book and the test is to be based on the 5th edition. Do I need to buy the 5th edition for my best chance at the test or is the material in the 4th edition adequate?

i was wondering the same thing. i have the 5th edition ifsta book, but a different book by the same company for the medical portion. anyway, if anyone who lives in orlando wants to form a study group, please pm me

Quote Originally Posted by gregorypickering View Post
    I'd venture to say it would be fine since the information really doesn't change too much over the years, but if I were taking the test and I wanted to be completely sure, I'd grab/borrow a copy of the current book just to be safe. Don't want to steer you in the wrong direction bro.

FFemt1991 I would be interested in getting a small study group together at a local starbucks in Orlando. What days are you free and where in Orlando are you located?

Default Test Impression

What a Zoo that test was. I cannot believe the amount of people there. I was not impressed with the way that we were addressed. The Training Chief sounded like he had no clue on what to say to us. The admin chick also kinda bossy. I really wish Chief Miller would have been there to greet us. I would say that I liked what City of Winter Park (Chief Jim White) said better during their test. I was glad to throw my name in the hat, but it's looking like City of Orlando is not for me. I'm focusing on getting promoted within my own department. God bless us with some Great leadership. Congrats to all that made it to the FFST. God Bless.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JAYLUGO21 View Post
    What a Zoo that test was. I cannot believe the amount of people there. I was not impressed with the way that we were addressed. The Training Chief sounded like he had no clue on what to say to us. The admin chick also kinda bossy.
    I am right there with you. I am glad I went and got the experience, but it was really an unorganized zoo. I was there in line at 7:45. I was in the un-airconditioned maze for over an hour. I didn't get seated till 8:50, then they didn't even start the test till 9:45. According to them the test was supposed to start at 8:30 sharp. I was seeing people walk up and get in line well after 8:45.

There were a lot of things that could have been handled different. But hopefully they will look at this as a learning experience for next time. Good luck to everyone that tested.

Forum Member

I am not sure if anyone could answer this but does anyone have a definitive number of how many they are looking to hire? Or how many they have going forward to the performance exam?

I guess I am just curious about what my odds are becoming like.

Forum Member

Definitely a fun time waiting in that line without an AC; my undershirt was drenched, lol. My only gripe was that OFD could have been more proactive in organizing the the line and handling the door. Little ridiculous to let people test who showed up late.

Anyone know what the top score was and the lowest cut off score? Everyone I know and met besides 2 people failed.

Forum Member

Cut off score was 68, and 166 advanced to the FFST per HR.
    FireMedic

It has been a zoo for years! Was back when I took it as well and the numbers were 1/3 what they are now. You have to consider every time the test is administered, a new venue has to be selected due to the shear numbers that turn out to take it. Last year was Amway to accommodate, unfortunately that is not around anymore for testing purposes, I remember everyone complaining about how cold it was there, so now you get the opposite extreme Congrats to everyone moving forward, get ready for the practical, sure to make a few drop out. As for numbers to be hired, still 1 for 1 til the first SAFER is up, more hiring in bulk will hinge on the 2nd SAFER applied for (if that helps).

According to you OFD is the best in Central Florida, what are some other great departments to work for in Central Florida?

I like the benefits that OFD offers, their trucks, their uniforms, the way you always see them training whether @ CFFA or in house. What I do not like is their attitude some times. A few jokers I have encountered have had a very smug attitude. Examples cutting in front of other crews at the hospitals, treating patients like children that kinda thing. That's not all the time though plus I know there are some jokers like that within my own ranks.

Forum Member

I tested as well. Myself and my two coworkers were all in the passing group, and we had a question about the FFST portion that is coming up, if anyone could give me a little insight. We are all in decent shape, and will be working hard every day to be prepared. However, we don't quite know what to do about the dummy drag/search portion. Is the drag from your knees? Do you have the opportunity to use a strap, and are there any required methods to use? Or can we just find the dummy, and do a typical dummy drag on the exit? Good luck to everyone else taking the test. As for the scores question mentioned earlier, we have spoken to others who took the test and so far nobody is above an 87.
    zago07 likes this.

Forum Member

As I remember from the last test you had to stay on your knees and I don't believe they allowed a strap. so pretty much find the guy and get him back to the door however you can safely.
    zago07 likes this.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ksm77 View Post
    As I remember from the last test you had to stay on your knees and I don't believe they allowed a strap. so pretty much find the guy and get him back to the door however you can safely.
    Thanks for the heads up brother. After looking all over, with no luck, I'm stumped about technique for for the dummy drag. I've trained for the low drag in the past with a strap, I've trained standing carries and drags, but not really sure how best to drag from my knees with no webbing or handles. Anyone have any insight?
    zago07 likes this.

Thread Information