Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Orlando Fire Dept. Testing 2011

Road nurse for life. First of all congradulations on passing the OFD test. I was there and did not make the cut. I was goign to ask you how you studied for that test because I was completely dumbfounded by it. Did you have a heads up or guide?

I also went to Central Florida and have tested for many departments where I have to drag a dummy out of a pitch black maze.

At CFFA, we were taught one of the ways to move a dummy was to get one of your hands in between their legs up to the crotch, and crawl as you push them in front of you with one hand. I know it sounds difficult, but it actually isn't bad. Mostly, when I did it, I would just get my arms under their arms and drag them out as fast as i could backward, feeling the wall really fast behind me either with my hand or putting a leg out (wear knee pads). All the tests I did, the dummy was hidden under something like a couch. I assume you work for LFD, so I'm sure you know that, but I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Mr_Lodus; 07-05-2012 at 05:26 PM. Reason: mistake
    zago07 likes this.

Forum Member

Are there any major differences between the Scott and MSA airpacks? It's been a while since I used one (fire school) and we don't use them in my department.

Forum Member

MrLodus, thanks for the reply. Great info, and I will give both ways a try and see how I feel with them. I actually only studied the day before and managed to not over think pthings too much. A good starting point is to read the first sentence of each major paragraph, then captions for photographs. I also reviewed a state test study guide Ridge Fire Academy uses for it's standards students to refresh. The Ems stuff I didn't focus on at all, add I just finished medic school a year ago and feel pretty fresh, since I stay on top of it all as much as I can.also, I don't work for LFD, but I'm on the job nearby. Good luck with future testing, hope to see you get on in the future.

Forum Member

So I noticed no one else asked maybe I missed it somewhere but I didn't see anything in my email saying where the physical test was? Was it on the instructions they gave out at the written? I'll dig that back out and check and call HR tomorrow. I'm guessing it's same as last year at their training center?

Forum Member

So, any feedback yet on how people are doing on the physical assessment? I take the test on the 17th, hope everyone is having a strong showing! Anybody got any pointers for an aspiring candidate? I'm kind of preoccupied with things. I'm in good shape and have been working hard for the last few months to get into better shape, but the what-ifs are getting pretty bad here. Any suggestions?

Forum Member

Fuss, thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize it would be a taboo subject. I appreciate that. I'm not looking to learn the layout of the maze or anything, I was just apprehensive about the technique for dragging the dummy from my knees. Its been years since I've had that kind of training, unfortunately, and would hate to squander such an awesome opportunity by pulling a "monkey f#(*ing a football" once I find it, since I'm used to using a strap or downed firefighter RIT techniques. Thanks for the heads up, I'll try to steer clear of innappropriate subjects. Thanks!

Forum Member

If you fail any station of the test do they let you continue to the next station or do they stop you immediately?

Forum Member

Thanks Fuss. I'm worried a little about the EMS portion. There are so many more critical failures in that one station than all the rest.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by G8rFF View Post
    Thanks Fuss. I'm worried a little about the EMS portion. There are so many more critical failures in that one station than all the rest.
    its not that hard, just try not to get rushed and you should be fine. I believe it was just an assesment sheet that he had with him. just hit all the points on it and know your skills and it should be fine

Forum Member

Layinonair do you know if there will be another hiring process for the end of this year? Do you have any idea when the next will be?

Forum Member

Default who is testing tom ?

i got a 74 on the test hoping to do well on the FFST tom. im fresh out of medic school so i apply as a emt and havent been around an SCBA in months . what brand they used ? and would they give you time to learn the SCBA prior to use? any info will be appreciated

Forum Member

60 from this list will be a lot of FF. any idea whether they incline more towards medics or basic

Forum Member

Well, took the ffst today... Not fun, hahaha. Finished up strong though, finished all the events, so I guess I passed? Wouldn't they stop you if you fail any events? Anyway, good luck to everyone who made it to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by roadnurse4life View Post
    Well, took the ffst today... Not fun, hahaha. Finished up strong though, finished all the events, so I guess I passed? Wouldn't they stop you if you fail any events? Anyway, good luck to everyone who made it to this point.
    What time did you go?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

pretty sure i screw up the pt assesment today. good luck to everybody
    jamesdfd likes this.

Forum Member

I tested at 1pm, I got in my own head and was way nervous, gassed myself out before I even started. I didn't quit and did my best. Got asked every station if I was a medic for some reason... I'm just glad to have had the opportunity to test, I was with how professional everyone was. Were you testing as well or part of the cadre? Anyone have an idea when we find out who moved on to the poly and interview?
    Last edited by roadnurse4life; 07-18-2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: typing on a cell phone...

Forum Member

[QUOTE=FireFuss;1334885]Did you happen to use your webbing, or just pull your self described "monkey effing a football"? [/QUOTE

Fuss, sorry to disappoint. I created a new technique I like to call the Goat Rope, where I dragged the
    Dummy out by the head and arm like a strip club bouncer. I contemplated treating my undershirt off like hulk hogan and making a strap from it but opted against it for the less creative method. I assume you are on at OFD?

Forum Member

Hey everyone, heard that around 60 percent passed the FFST. Anyone have any idea how they notify you if you passed or failed?

Forum Member

As always, thanks for the info Fuss. I'm curious to know what most people failed on.... and to confirm whether I did or did not. I mean, I've talked to 5 people who ran out of time on the assessment, myself included, yet we all were allowed to go on and complete the course. I'd hate to find out that I was done before I ever got started.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    Just so you know... if you had done a PERFECT patient assessment hitting every single step and intervention for your scenario in 3 minutes.... they'd have made you stand there saying "recheck vitals, recheck MOI, recheck blah blah" UNTIL the time ran out. There really wasn't a way to "finish" this part of the test. It was more along the lines of "do as much of the right stuff you can in 5 1/2 minutes"

At least thats what I've been told

I've heard the same thing, you go 5 and 1/2 mins and then time.

I know of a couple people who didn't find the search victim and also heard a lot of people had trouble with the ladders

Thread Information