Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Orlando Fire Dept. Testing 2011

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    ....anyone else get the email?
    Yea, got mine today that said I passed. Have to be honest... I was really surprised. Not that I doubt my ability just that I felt my performance could have been better. So I dunno. Hopefully my experience and accolades take me far. We shall see.

Good luck to all.

Forum Member

passed, there was alot to be desired from my pt assesment

Forum Member

Got an email confirming the receipt of my application. Talked to someone in the city and found out I'm poetry far up the list, but not sure what the timeline looks like from here. Am I correct to assume that they go in order on the list for calling people to come polygraph? Anyone able to shed some insight add to how things unfolds from here? Good luck to you all as well!

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    When I talked to the guy at HR, he said they use the ranked list for the order of contacting people for the next step. So yea, the higher you are on the list, the earlier you're contacted for further processing. I believe the next step is a one on one with the big chief, followed by poly/physical/psych and poly again....

someone correct me if I'm wrong. (I always think of Larry the cable guy when I say that for some reason... )
    In all reality the ranking really doesn't matter, it's a pick and chose type game from here out, they will look at everyone and determine who gets called, being in the top 20 never hurts as there is a reason you are there, but outside of that, they will call whoever they choose. If it's still the same you do a poly, chief interview, conditional, physical, psych, poly again, final offer.

Forum Member

Does anyone know when phone calls are gonna to start going out?

Quote Originally Posted by G8rFF View Post
    Does anyone know when phone calls are gonna to start going out?
    If your phone rings, and its OFD, you will know.
    gregorypickering and zago07 like this.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

For what it's worth, hose was loaded on E6 the other day...
    BLSboy and traeday3 like this.

Forum Member

Got a call two days ago to schedule polygraph with the city... HR Rep says they might be hiring next month... Late October, more than likely at this point, according to him.

Forum Member

I got a response from HR today via phone.

I'm #74 of 112 on the list (of 2000+ applicants.)

They're hiring 3-4 per month as needed.

An additional 18 positions if/when the SAFER Grant comes through.

Good luck brothers!

Forum Member

Fuss, I'll turn on my pm when I get home tonight. I had my polygraph this afternoon, and one of my coworkers is tomorrow. Passed the poly. HR called to schedule interviews with both of us today, mine was done as I pulled into the parking lot of the poly place. Interviews for first round are being done the 2nd to 4th of october. What I'm hearing is 4 initial openings, with vets heavily favored because of done federal subsidization for hiring them basically paying their wages for the next three years. There are five vets left on the lis t as of now. OF them, I think two are paramedics including myself. The union contract is requiring at least 19 more from my understanding, so I'd venture to say the list will be moving quickly once they sort out the safer situation. Also, when I walked in the poly office with shoulder length hair today, the guy before me looked a little shocked. Got a haircut coming soon. Lets all habe a moment of silence for the lions mane I had.

Forum Member

The HR guy told my coworker there are only 5 total vets left. It makes sense, statistically. 5% of the total pool... sounds about right with about a hundred left as a whole. I imagine they are staggered all over the list though, so its definitely not a lock on a position as far as I'm concerned. I think they have scheduled the top 20 names for polygraphs as a whole, I saw a poly schedule in the guy's office yesterday and counted around fifteen or twenty fire names on it out of the corner of my eye.

On another note, I'm kind of worried about the hire date being so soon. I have a child due in 5 weeks, so I've got to weasel out a way to be off for at least three days or so while my wife is in the hospital. I mean, its a no-brainer that family is way more important than the job, but I'd hate to be a pain right off the bat. Anyone got any insight on this sort of thing? I have FMLA at my current department and plenty of sick and vacation hours if im still there at that point. I've got enough time banked that even if I start at Orlando the end of the month I can still afford unpaid time off from them because of my remaining leave bank. Its just a matter of getting the time off at all.... FML.

Forum Member

does anyone have any insight as to the initial hiring and orientation period? I have heard you essentially go through a 40-hr a week initial training for six weeks, before being assigned a shift and seat, etc. Can anyone shed a little light on what the beginning is like?

Quote Originally Posted by roadnurse4life View Post
    does anyone have any insight as to the initial hiring and orientation period? I have heard you essentially go through a 40-hr a week initial training for six weeks, before being assigned a shift and seat, etc. Can anyone shed a little light on what the beginning is like?
    You're pretty much on target. 6 weeks, approx 40 hr's, some days run longer, some shorter. breakdown is always changing, can bet on a week of engine ops, a week of truck ops, a week of EMS, SOP work, etc. You'll do PT in the morning everyday before orientation for that day. That's about it though. Good luck to all.
    roadnurse4life likes this.

Forum Member

Not sure if it means they got the SAFER or not, but my friend who is around 40 on the list just got the call for an interview... Maybe they are prepping for a big hiring group, one way or another? Layinonair, thanks again for the heads up. Any insight on PT, so I know what to prepare for? I've been strength training the last few months and would hate to find out im running 5 miles, ha ha ha. Good luck on interviews everyone!

PT is always changing, I didn't run a lot when I went through, the focus was more on core type exercises and agility, lots of crossfit "style" workouts, dragging tires, wall ball shots, log carry, etc. But the runs weren't more then a couple miles, no marathons. You should be fine, just don't get too caught up in the strength training, because remember, all the extra muscle needs the blood flow, I'd concentrate on my cardio and endurance (while working) and do a little strength training here and there. Also if you have never done any type of V.E.S work, focus on carrying a ladder with tools and being able to climb, search, come out, move to another window, repeat. That's usually the stuff that gasses people in orientation.

On a side note, the rumor mill always flows BUT I heard yesterday we got the grant. So that's probably a good thing for some of you. Good luck.

Forum Member

Thanks layinonair. Great info! Interviewed this week, felt like it went okay but a bit anticlimactic. Chief Miller has quite a presence! He mentioned hiring was tentatively looking to happen around the first week of November. How does the process, continue from there? Are we notified via phone calls again, or emails, and via letter if we aren't selected for the list? I assume there will be ample time to give our employers two Weeks notice as well after completing final screening processes like the poly, psych, etc .

Forum Member

sooo..... anyone get any word? Any new developments?

Forum Member

So... any more word on that elusive SAFER Grant? Anybody heard any new developments?

Floater for life!!

I find your signature a little ironic in a discussion pertaining to SAFER grants...lol
    XjamathonX and zago07 like this.
    42-B "The Night Train"

Quote Originally Posted by e10pvmt View Post
    I find your signature a little ironic in a discussion pertaining to SAFER grants...lol
    You aren't a floater anymore!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Thread Information