Forum Member

Default How Warm is your Station

We heat with an infrared natural gas heater. Historically, we just keep it above freezing. Nowdays with a new pumper in the stable and new electronic controlled SCBA's, TIC's and extrication tool, I'm just wondering out loud, how warm should it be?
    It gets pretty hot in there in the summer time too. Are small rural volunteer departments going to need much better climate control in the future?
    What are youall doing?

Forum Member

Default 50

We run old overhead Nat gas forced air heaters set on minimum (50)

Let's talk fire trucks!

VFD: In our current station (which we move out of in July), we simply have a 40+ year old residential-grade air handler supplying heat to the bay through a wall vent. We keep it at 60 degrees during the winter...off in the summer! The new station, under construction, will use infrared overhead heaters, but we haven't yet determined it's operating limits.

Work: Gas-fed overhead heaters, which have two settings: "Off" and "Chernobyl." We get our new station at work in about 18 months, and it too will have infrared overhead heaters.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

We have 2 geothermal heat pumps. 1 for in-floor heat in the apparatus bays and 1 forced air heat pump in the office and meeting room areas. The bays are 65 deg and the office and meeting room are 70 deg.

Brad

Forum Member

We use three overhead radiant heaters in our roughly 40' X 150' station. It keeps it easily 60-70 in there at all times. It is really comfortable which makes it rather nice during trainings and other functions that we use our bays for.

Good Luck!

Stay Safe!

FD5
    "EVERYONE GOES HOME... ALWAYS"

"Let no mans ghost come back to say his training let him down."

MembersZone Subscriber

Oil burner hangs from the ceiling in one corner, with ceiling fans to push the heat down. Usually set around 60 - it would be lower but we need a cushion in case something happens to the heat during the winter.

I dont' think we've ever shut it off during the summer, but this is the north country and sub-freezing temps aren't totally out of the question except maybe during the summer months.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

We watch the weather, and if it will be below freezing for an extended period I start up the equipment and let the radiant heat help out. If it is really cold (maybe once a year) I bring a salamander from my office and heat the building up once or twice a day.

I will be real happy when we can afford a decent heater.

MembersZone Subscriber

We keep ours at 55 degrees during the winter.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by wischief View Post
    We keep ours at 55 degrees during the winter.
    Same here.

Forum Member

Talking

normally we keep both stations at 55 in the winter for the engine bays .One station has an oil fired Modine heater ceiling hung and the other had a propane Modine ceiling mount furnace.
    Both have industrial ceiling fans to circulate the heat and help dry the trucks off
    When it's real cold like this week with single digit temps, we kick it up to 62 to get the trucks a little warmer . Keeps things from freezing up for a little longer when out on calls.

our new storage and training building has in slab heat which uses a small package propane boiler. The whole wall mounted unit is 18" wide by 3' tall by 10 inched deep. Very efficient and cheap to run once you get the slab warmed up.

Forum Member

Toasty! Probably 65-70. Which is like Africa compared to my house. My kids call me the heat Nazi.

Forum Member

Natural gas infrared heaters. and its about 60degrees. And you dont dare "forget" to close a door after you pull out for a call. I swear some of them old timers have an interal alarm that lets them know when money is being wasted! lol
    Fire scenes: A well organized cluster F......
    These are my veiws and opinions.....Im just saying

Forum Member

OK, well what about summer, I know it's hard to think about summer, when you're up to your keester in snow, but do you have air conditioning.

Let's talk fire trucks!

At the VFD, we don't have A/C in the bays, but we haven't found the need for it. The way that the building is situated, the sun never comes through the windows except for an hour or so a day, so heat build-up hasn't been a problem for us.

FWIW, our building is cement block with a masonry outer facade, with a steel bar joist roof covered by a rubber membrane.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by treeguy View Post
    OK, well what about summer, I know it's hard to think about summer, when you're up to your keester in snow, but do you have air conditioning.
    As an unmanned volunteer station, a little heat doesn't bother us. In fact, overnight coolness will usually hold over for most of the day inside the station. Kinda nice to walk into on a hot day.

I have heard of ambulance stations air conditioning their bays to help protect the meds in the ambulances.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

55 in the apparatus room, 60 in the meeting room turn it up meeting night. All nat. gas forced air. Very expensive, all the equipment is 35 years old.

NO A/C

Forum Member

We are a career station but this thread made me laugh a bit

for heat last day we had 5 space heaters, a natural gas oven on set on 500 degrees and one gas fired heater in the bay running full speed. Yes we are the one that teach frie safety for the community hahaha. I think we made it up to about 60 in the living quarter damn heat was out again. Usually we are lucky to keep it around 65 unless the wind is blowing then the drafts keep it around 55.

During the summer we have window units we are lucky to keep it under 80 during the day and we might get it down to 75 during the night time. No windows to open due to secruity reasons.

MembersZone Subscriber

BoxAlarm187 "Work: Gas-fed overhead heaters, which have two settings: "Off" and "Chernobyl."

^^^Nearly made me fall out of my chair from laughing so hard.

We have gas fired, radiant heaters that are in the 30 year old range. They keep it decent in the bays but nothing really outstanding due to the drafty nature of our block building. During the summer months the temperature stays just about perfect (sometimes too cool) day and night. As for our office and "Day Room" they are heated with electric space heaters and cooled with window a/c units. We are in the planning stages of an overhaul for our day room to make it a more inviting (and warmer) place to hang out as well as add some bunk rooms to allow people to stay the night.

Forum Member

We were using electric furnaces, but not now........

Thread Information