Forum Member

Default In house training ideas?

Im looking for some good ideas for some in house training for the guys on my dept. We are a small dept and we dont run a lot of calls but the guys here love to train. We train every Tuesday night but were it has been snowy and cold we are limited to what we can do. So we have done a lot of the basics like search and rescue and ladder training but im running out of ideas and i dont want the guys to get board with it so any ideas would help! Also most of are calls are mva's so is there any tool training we can do without a car to cut on thanks again.

Forum Member

yea cold weather training makes it hard to get out and about. Just a few quick ideas I have particpated in..once did a blackout scenario where our airpack had somehow came off our back and entangled (chiefs previously tangled the packs..)we were taken to the pack in total darkness, went on air, and then had to rearrange the pack and put it on correctly..different, but an option..

another training we did involving the airpack was bottle lifespan..we had about 4 stations set up of physical activities, on air of course, and the idea is to see how long you can last in your bottle. we started time at the beginning, marked time at the low pressure alarm and marked time once the last breath of air was taken (if you make it that far) the idea behind this, is that you can see what your personal time will be to get out of a situation one your low pressure alarm sounds.. station set ups were simple..box of cribbing raise and lower from ground 4 times, a-frame ladder climb that 2, sledgehammer(up and down as if using pike pole) and crawl under a table..you can set it up however you need..pretty neat exercise

You may also look into online videos or any in house videos you have...there are tons of online articles relating to reading smoke, basic firefighing techniques, RIT, personal escape drills, vehicle extrication techniques, hybrid vehicles, ect. you can review videos now and practice the techniques when the weather warms up a bit if needed..

just a few things I had on my mind..hope this helps ya!
    "First In, Last Out"

Forum Member

Air bag safety

If you can get some that are not deployed, you can show how fast they inflate

MembersZone Subscriber

The air management drill above is a great idea. We do something similar periodically. In our case I'll have the guys do some physical activity on air until the low air alarm activates. Then there's two different "drills": One where they continue the physical activity which simulates them continuing to work or self-rescue. The other where they stop all activity and try to make the bottle last, which would occur if the RIT was coming in. In both cases time is measured.

We also had a bunch of props for the Mayday drill created. Nothing fancy.. getting the pack hung up, drop ceiling collapse/entanglement, locked in a closed area..etc and have the members go through their Mayday.

If you do coldwater/ice rescue the winter is probably the best time to drill on that equipment.

It's hard to do any MVA/tool drills without the actual cars. Other then going over the mechanics of the tools you could create some whiteboard scenarios.. grab some pictures of previous accidents and have the crew describe what they would do. It's not hands on, but it gets the meat melon working.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

Pick up the IFSTA Company Drills book. Plenty of short drills, some good for inside, some good for outside.

Another good inside activity is preplans and tabletop drills. Just pick out a structure in your district and figure out how you'll handle it. That might seem simple, but factors like long driveways, narrow streets/roads, etc, can throw in wrinkles. Never know, you might generate some spirited discussion. In the end, folks will have a better idea of how to handle a given situation, and you might even have a written preplan.

Doing a tabletop can be as simple as cardboard cut out to represent apparatus and buildings or as involved as using diecast toys and 3-D representations of buildings.

Tour a local industrial facility, school, or health facility. Most will be more than happy to accomodate you and point out things you need to know if an incident occurs there. You just need to meet there instead of the firehouse.
    Last edited by tree68; 02-09-2011 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Added carriage return before picture.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I want to thank all of you for your ideas some we have done and some we have not so this should keep us busy for a few weeks if any more ideas pop up please let me know.......Thanks again!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Air bag safety

If you can get some that are not deployed, you can show how fast they inflate
    Undeployed bags are not readily available anymore. The manufacturers have real liability problems with popping the bags in an uncontrolled situation.

I haven't been able to get any for my air bag classes for about 2 years.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfyre View Post
    Undeployed bags are not readily available anymore. The manufacturers have real liability problems with popping the bags in an uncontrolled situation.

I haven't been able to get any for my air bag classes for about 2 years.
    We had some a while back. Got them from a dealer through one of his mechanics (a member here) as a result of some sort of recall.

I can see why they'd object - the things will fly.

On the other hand, I've seen Ron Moore (U of Extrication) pop them in place (still mounted in the steering wheel) while he was sitting there. If you're back against the back of the seat, they won't reach you.

Back to our regularly scheduled thread.

Forum Member

I would like to get a few myself but heck we can't even get cars anymore to cut on. Right now junk prices is 12$ for every 100 lbs and all the wreckers are crushing them as soon as they get them in

Forum Member

We have the same weather issues.

1.- Get some 2x4's and build a temp wall that resembles a residential wall. Build it so it supports itself and get you members to dress in gear and packs. Practice passing throw the studs using different techniques. Might not have to, but the skills come in handy if you have to go through a wall to escape.

2.- There's nothing wrong with have some training classes sitting around a table and training on scenerios. use a dry erase board and go over SOPS/SOGS in terms of MVAs etc. Show the a,bc and d sides and create different events.

3.- Practice window escapes.

4.- Have a smoke machine? Use it. Or blindfold guys and train search and rescue.

5.- Truck detail is big in the winter. Do a equipment inventory. run all the saws, rescue equipment and othe machines. Reorganize compartments. See where everything is and fine tune the things that never get used.

6.- Go through all of your airpacks and replaces batteries, inspect hoses and connection, tanks and masks.

Make sure everyone gets a chance at each drill, but have a circuit training where teams of two are timed in search and rescue. If you have a dummy or a member, hide them and let guys try to find them.

Forum Member

Just an added that might come in handy we actually did a couple months back. Go over finding your way by "reading" your couplings.Take a bunch of hose and just pile it all up in a big knot or wad. Make it an absolute mess! Have the one end connected to the truck. Put your guys on air and black out their mask. lead them to it the wad of hose and have them sit there and find there way out. Just like if you got disoriented in a house fire and just found the hose, it will teach them which way leads you to the fire and which way leads you out.
    Fire scenes: A well organized cluster F......
    These are my veiws and opinions.....Im just saying

Forum Member

"Bumps to the Pump"..
    "First In, Last Out"

Forum Member

on wheels vehicle stabilazation step chocks and box cribbing, lifting bags if you carry them. done in a nice warm bay

Forum Member

as Chewy said black out their masks and have them follow the hose out.... we did this a few weeks ago and timed the guys.... everyone had a lot of fun and wanted to do it multiple times....... teach them how to tell the difference between the male and female couplings and stress the female always leads to trouble..... may offend some folks but works very well for our members

Forum Member

Its hard to train during the cold weather months which is actually worse for the fire service being that its fire season.
    Its not a bad idea to watch a training video once in a while and learn from other experienced firemen in the videos on using different techniques to get the job done rather than always using the same guys within the dept to give a training.

videos range from engine operations to roof rope rescue and everything in between

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fightfor6019 View Post
    Its hard to train during the cold weather months which is actually worse for the fire service being that its fire season.
    It's a good time for preplans - new and review. Pick a location in your district and hash it over. Once the basics are in place, start throwing wrinkles - OOS hydrants, frozen ponds, frozen apparatus, etc.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    It's a good time for preplans - new and review. Pick a location in your district and hash it over. Once the basics are in place, start throwing wrinkles - OOS hydrants, frozen ponds, frozen apparatus, etc.
    absolutly brother, preplanning is key, know your area of fire protection. What kind of construction do i have?, taxpayers? private/multiple dwellings? commerical occupancies,? vacants? old wood frame construction could be balloon? common cocklofts? do your neigboring fire companies/depts who mutual aid you have similar construction?

remember one thing, fire doesnt kill firemen, illegally converted houses kill firemen. so get to know your area before the poop hits the fan.

MembersZone Subscriber

We also do our refreshers during the winter: cpr and red card. We also try to do some outside night extrication at recking yards (you are not always going to get mid day 75 degree weather).

Forum Member

Just finished a VERY productive training this evening.

Training was set up by a local metal fabrication shop (building was big enough for us to pull our rescue truck and ambulance inside) Here are the senerios...

Senerio #1

Victim was working on her pickup with Jack Stands under it (no rear tires on) when during this spring thaw the jack stands sunk into the ground and tiped over traping her under the Pass. side rear leaf spring. R.P. could not locate the Jack so we used the rescue air bags off the truck. Making sure to crib the vehicle. EMS team made sure to call for ALS intercept do to MCI.

Senerio #2

Late in the day, all the employees had went home when one employee was trying to finish a project and attempting to move a large sheet of steel was pinned under it from the waist down. Again, we used the airbags (very slowly) to raise the sheet off of him. EMS was involved here too!

Sernerio #3

MVA - Three kids stole grandpa's truck and went for a joy ride driving off into the ditch. One victim in the bed of the pickup (unresponsive, no pulse)
    Victim #2 went down and under the steering column. Unresponsive, breathing, and possible fractured wrist and Right leg.
    Victim #3 VERY young male under pass. side dash. Unresponsive, obvious head injury, and several fractures.

This training helped our new rescue captain to dive into triage and to coordinate teams for each pt.

Just some ideas guys, it was VERY productive for us!!!

Stay Safe

FD5
    "EVERYONE GOES HOME... ALWAYS"

"Let no mans ghost come back to say his training let him down."

Forum Member

Default outside the box

Sometimes,

I recommend you think outside the box once in awhile.

Go over your responding protocols. How to be incident command and 'mutual aid politics. Use of the radios (it will surprise you how many flub radio usage).

It would be adviseable to address the operations platform or politics of your department. Many eager newbies wanna practice making water and many more senior members want to show off how much they know. Move your sessions once in a while 'Out of your usual comfort mode.'

Station management is one of those subjects that is often a learn as you go when your finally in that position. You might be great at coordinating an exterior attack and making water, but not so good at public relations with citizens in your area of responsibility or how to appeal to them about asking their support for new equipment or station. Touch how to get the public on your side. In case you haven't noticed, firefighters are not regarded the same way they were ten years ago.

There is a lot more to being a firefighter than going over the nfpa 1001 FF1 and knowing how to fight a fire.

Sooo much more. Surprise your membership and touch those areas that will help them become the chief or administrator someday.
    Last edited by jam24u; 04-03-2011 at 03:31 PM.

Thread Information