MembersZone Subscriber

If I could do it again, I'd take the heater/AC control out of the V-Mux as well, virtually eliminating any need for the driver to utilize the screen from the time the maxi-brake is released until it's re-applied. At least short of alarm bells for the phantom open compartments, still the only real issue we've had with the Spartan/Toyne.

Forum Member

We had an issue when our new ambulance was first delivered in 2010, as this was our first time we bought the V-Mux sustem. Had the manufacturer come to our station and allow us to move the screen around till we found the best angle and location to put it in they then built a custom bracket for it. Since then no problems at all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    If I could do it again, I'd take the heater/AC control out of the V-Mux as well, virtually eliminating any need for the driver to utilize the screen from the time the maxi-brake is released until it's re-applied. At least short of alarm bells for the phantom open compartments, still the only real issue we've had with the Spartan/Toyne.
    Me too. Having to look down a screen and push little buttons to fix a suddenly fogging windshield whilst driving an 83,000 lb. tower at 3 a.m. once made me miss having just a simple little dial next to the steering wheel!
    Last edited by mtngael; 09-14-2011 at 01:16 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mtngael View Post
    Me too. Having to look down a screen and push little buttons to fix a suddenly fogging windshield whilst driving an 83,000 lb. tower at 3 a.m. once made me miss having just a simple little dial next to the steering wheel!
    Whilst? You must be playing that fiddle a lot to have developed an internet visible accent!

MembersZone Subscriber

The imprint of growing up with a Shakespeare scholar for a father I'm afraid

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    If I could do it again, I'd take the heater/AC control out of the V-Mux as well, virtually eliminating any need for the driver to utilize the screen from the time the maxi-brake is released until it's re-applied.
    Funny you should note that. Our last 5 rigs, and our new 3 rigs coming, we did exactly that. Omitted the A/C/heat controls from the Vista screen to manual selections. Alot of people had complaints/issues going through the screen to make any changes or adjustments. As well, no real control of the heat output.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    As well, no real control of the heat output.

FM1
    That's a good point as well. The V-Mux heat control is basically a room temperature setting. In most cases other than summer months, the heater blasts full bore upon start up and response as it tries to bring the temp up, this is loud and contributes to the overall cab noise that can partially obscure critical radio traffic. Our previous experience with headsets was not good, so we're not utilizing them currently.

MembersZone Subscriber

I should know this, but is there a setting in the programming that allows for each setting to be retained after shut down and upon restart? The exhaust brakes stays how we had it on the previous run, but the screen brightness is always too dim for use during the day, which is a pain in the butt.

I would assume this is an easy enough parameter for the builder to change?
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    I should know this, but is there a setting in the programming that allows for each setting to be retained after shut down and upon restart? The exhaust brakes stays how we had it on the previous run, but the screen brightness is always too dim for use during the day, which is a pain in the butt.

I would assume this is an easy enough parameter for the builder to change?
    Those things can be programmed in a bunch of different ways. On ours, the only things that default to where they were left are the jake brake and the HVAC. Headlights, emergency light, etc. all default to "Off." lBut I think any of it can be changed to whatever you want. Our screen defaults to the normal day setting. There's one setting brighter and two dimmer. The dimmest one is too bright at night. Get ahold of Randy Smalley, he's pretty good with them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    Those things can be programmed in a bunch of different ways. On ours, the only things that default to where they were left are the jake brake and the HVAC. Headlights, emergency light, etc. all default to "Off." lBut I think any of it can be changed to whatever you want. Our screen defaults to the normal day setting. There's one setting brighter and two dimmer. The dimmest one is too bright at night. Get ahold of Randy Smalley, he's pretty good with them.
    May go after the builder. They're here on a fairly regular basis to fix one thing or another anyway.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Please feel free to express any concerns to pluhrs@weldoninc.com. I came across your posts, because I searched for V-MUX. I am the director of V-MUX. The display screens all can be updated from the first monochrome displays we put out in 1998 (Vista I) to the latest LCD, Vista IV (which just went into production). We actually still have service parts for the Vista I, and we will for a few more years. after that you would have to upgrade a Vista I to a Vista IV.
    Top misconceptions:
    Touch screen is all we have now - this is just an option and not required.
    The displays is too complicated - be sure to specify how you want you dash layed out, headlights on a seperate switch etc..

Weldon/Akron Brass have been around for a long time and we plan to be around long past all of our times, so don't worry, we will always support the product and do that right thing. You just have to ask for our help.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by pluhrs View Post
    Please feel free to express any concerns to pluhrs@weldoninc.com. I came across your posts, because I searched for V-MUX. I am the director of V-MUX. The display screens all can be updated from the first monochrome displays we put out in 1998 (Vista I) to the latest LCD, Vista IV (which just went into production). We actually still have service parts for the Vista I, and we will for a few more years. after that you would have to upgrade a Vista I to a Vista IV.
    Top misconceptions:
    Touch screen is all we have now - this is just an option and not required.
    The displays is too complicated - be sure to specify how you want you dash layed out, headlights on a seperate switch etc..

Weldon/Akron Brass have been around for a long time and we plan to be around long past all of our times, so don't worry, we will always support the product and do that right thing. You just have to ask for our help.
    Thanks for the input. I've had very few issues with the V-MUX itself, but instead I have issues with our last builder's complete lack of understanding of how it should have been set up. For example, the screen is programmed to display each compartment door, but they've wired or programmed the thing in such a way that if the L1 compartment is open, then all of the compartments on the left side show open. What's the point then, you know?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Command6 View Post
    Unless you downgrade the system, the V-Mux you order today will have a touch screen. To address the parts availability concern: You'll have to endure those parts availability problems along with the rest of us.

Such is the cause of much stress in our lives. Phrases that cause high blood pressure and ulcers among fleet managers include:
    • The part has been discontinued.
    • The manufacturer is no longer in business.
    • We no longer provide support for that product.

C6
    You forgot..."thanks for your past business, have a nice day!"
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

If I were you, I would check on your "clean" positive and negative posts/connections for problems. This isn't a V-Mux issue, rather a power or ground issue.

FM1
    I have a really, REALLY hard time believing this. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't, and it is because of a Node issue (V-Mux)??? I don't think so!!!

The nice thing with the V-Mux systems are, EITHER IT WORKS, OR IT DOESN'T. I can hook up a laptop and find what my inputs are, and see what the outputs are. If a headlight isn't working, I can get into that node, and have the option of turning it on, and turning it off. If I turn on the headlights with the laptop, and one doesn't come on, then it is either the bulb or a break in the wiring AFTER the Node.

You see, there are icons on the laptop to show light bulbs, whether LED, halogen, or standard. If the right low beam headlight icon is " " (quoted) and highlighted, I know that it sees it as an output. I can then trigger it on. If it doesn't come one, then the problem is AFTER the Node. Simple as that, with the whole system of inputs and outputs.

FM1
    I have run in to this problem before! It is a driver training issue. V-Mux require all there nodes to power up a one time with the same amount of voltage to each node. If you have a driver who jumps in the cab turns on the battery, then starts the truck with out waiting a couple of seconds you can have problems!

Chief1ff
    Mark

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1FF View Post
    I have run in to this problem before! It is a driver training issue. V-Mux require all there nodes to power up a one time with the same amount of voltage to each node. If you have a driver who jumps in the cab turns on the battery, then starts the truck with out waiting a couple of seconds you can have problems!

Chief1ff
    Mark
    Absolutely correct, Mark. With our Spartan we created an SOP which seems to work. Turn the main power switch on. Wait for the V-Mux screen to show its icons. Then turn the "ignition" switch on. Wait for all of the instument panel indicator lights (except the "Parking Brake On") to go out. Then start the engine.

That allows the nodes to be properly powered up and all of the startup diagnostics to complete running. The procedure, if followed, takes about 30 seconds. I've never had a case where the crew was on board hollering at me to get going before I was ready to start the engine.

I recently read in one of the trucking industry publications that truck manufacturers and truck fleets are instructing the drivers to follow similar procedures.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1FF View Post

Chief1ff
    Mark
    I guess our drivers are better trained than others.

As for what you actually posted for procedure, I won't disagree with it. I assist the 3 shifts that get a new rig, and that is one thing I teach them. Follows with starting the rig. Power up, wait for Vista, power ignition, then wait for the full sweep of the instrument cluster before starting. Any deviation could cause an issue.

FM1

"Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

I guess our drivers are better trained than others.

As for what you actually posted for procedure, I won't disagree with it. I assist the 3 shifts that get a new rig, and that is one thing I teach them. Follows with starting the rig. Power up, wait for Vista, power ignition, then wait for the full sweep of the instrument cluster before starting. Any deviation could cause an issue.

FM1
    FireMech,

Your procedure is correct! I run into this problem a lot especially with larger departments. Guys get into a hurry and just start the truck with out waiting. I wish more departments would follow your procedure and listen to there mechanics like your department seems to!

Chief1ff
    Mark

Forum Member

Thanks, but trust me, not all of our drivers are there yet. Especially the reserve or new transfer drivers from older rigs. But, they are learning as I find them.

Until I started working with the FD rigs, there was very little input or control the maintenance shop could give them for operating the rigs. It took me 2-3 years to get the respect of the FD, to where I can now change or make SOP/SOG's, with their blessing.

Yes, I'm putting a feather in my cap. If I didn't love my job, have respect for those that are putting themselves in harms way, I would be doing a disservice to all the firefighters on the job.

FM1

ps: Sorry for tooting my own horn. But the firefighters are second Brothers, to my Marine Brothers.

Thread Information