Forum Member

Default Can I apply for US Firefighter Jobs

Hi All,

Hoping you may be able to help with my question. I'm currently a Firefighter Watch Manager in the UK, I suppose its what you would call a Lieutenant, and want to move with my family to the US and become a Firefighter there. My question is would my previous experience and qualifications count in the US and do I have to be a citezen before I can apply?

Cheers

Benji

Forum Member

Well to be honest I really don't know, we've never had someone from another country come and ask to join our Department. But I would imagine that your qualifications and experience from your current job in the UK would count for something here. But regardless of your level of certification you currently have, you'll have to be certified to the standards of any Dept you join here in the US.

This is because of one pure and simple fact, things here are different from across the pond in the UK. Our apparatus are vastly different, both in size and in some cases general operation. Building construction here in the US is also very different, so the way we approach and fight a house fire can be very different as well.

I suppose the best advice I can give you is to determine what area you'd be moving too (The west coast, the south, maybe even New England) Call a few Departments from that area, ask about what they require for new applicants. They should be able to help you much better.
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

I think most, if not all require US Citizenship.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I think most, if not all require US Citizenship.
    That would be incorrect. A valid visa or green card is permissible for paid and volunteer departments. As long as you have a valid I-9, you are good to go.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    That would be incorrect. A valid visa or green card is permissible for paid and volunteer departments. As long as you have a valid I-9, you are good to go.

FM1
    The Immigration and Nationality Act is a federal law that prohibits job discrimination based on citizenship status. It is generally illegal to require U.S. citizenship for any job, they can only ask you to provide proof that you are legally entitled to work. The only exceptions are a few government jobs, such as certain jobs in defense work.

I've known a couple of career firefighters in the United States who had worked previously in other countries. One was a guy who was a career firefighter in England. He met and married an American woman, and eventually got hired on at a fire department in Florida. Another guy was a firefighter from Australia who had gotten hired at a U.S. department.

The thing with both of these guys, however, is that they had already moved here and established residency and received the appropriate immigration and work permits. The guy in Florida lived here for a good year, testing all over the place, before he got hired. If you are still living in another country and trying to apply, it may be more difficult. Not only could it be quite expensive to travel for tests and interviews, but obtaining the work permits while living in another country is also going to take some time.

Forum Member

Not sure if you're familiar with the I-9 Form. It is to be filled out to prove you have the legal right to work in the United States. With out this form filled out, you cannot work legally in the U.S. It is from U.S. Homeland Security, and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

No disagreement on filing for temporary work visas before entering the U.S. to look for work for a department. But it can be done.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Thread Information